OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope tracking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope tracking
    Posted: April/18/2016 at 14:16
How do the Zeiss and swarovski do as far as tracking go?

Are they up to par with the SS SWFA and the NF's?

Also how is tracking in the new VX-6's?

Thank you!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 14:31
Both of my VX6's have held POI, and casual turning of turrets for 3 yrs now.   It has the most user friendly eyebox known to mankind.  My Conquest and Swaro A are/were set and forget it scopes.  The Conquest hs done great, the SwaroA not so much.  Swaro fixed it and I sold it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 16:26

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Both of my VX6's have held POI, and casual turning of turrets for 3 yrs now.   It has the most user friendly eyebox known to mankind.  My Conquest and Swaro A are/were set and forget it scopes.  The Conquest hs done great, the SwaroA not so much.  Swaro fixed it and I sold it.

Very bold statement there..... while that may be the case to the leupold leg humpers I wouldn't go as far as say a statement like that. 

Both swaro and zeiss have good eyeboxes as well as most of your better scopes out there.

Originally posted by Fotis Fotis wrote:

How do the Zeiss and swarovski do as far as tracking go?

Are they up to par with the SS SWFA and the NF's?

Also how is tracking in the new VX-6's?

Thank you!

In all they should all track true.  Most of you better lines do track as they should.  Some are designed more robust in their dial system because they are designed to be spun frequently, like the SWFA SS's and NF's.  Most Zeiss, swaro's and VX-6's are more set and forget kinda scopes (with the exception of the CDS System on VX-6 scopes)  but they still aren't made for constant dial twisting.

Depending on your purpose we might be able to better point you in a better direction for recommendations.  What are you trying to determine? use this scope for?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 16:44
G I'm crushed the loopy leg humper never mentioned the eye box on my Leica in his comparison. Leica is well known for their eye box........ Maybe I should realize where it came from!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 17:05
I realize you guys hate to hear that, but I do have a certain amount of experience in this matter.  Whether you love it, hate it, disregard it, or whatever, that's your choice.  I have zero brand loyalty, but I know what I like and why I like it.  I've seen loads of high end glass that my hunters bring into camp, and have owned a few myself.  I've used, in the field hunting, Diavari's, Z5, Z6, S&B's, NF, Meopta R1's,  and numerous other mid priced stuff.  They offer stunning optics, but the VX6 trumps them all in the ease of use category, especially at higher magnifications, and has fantastic glass as well.

I'm also involved in several different guide and outfitter programs, including Leupold, Meopta, Swaro, and Zeiss.  I'm not involved with Leica by choice.  Their Sport Optics marketing/management guys are out of touch with the competition, and lag far behind nowadays.  It's a real shame because they do offer some good products.  The only Leica's I see come into camp anymore are the Geovid RF/bino combo, and even those are few and far between.  We do see out fair share of Leica RF's though.  I've got a feeling the new Sig Kilo 2000 will take care of that though, but time will tell.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 18:08

I realize you guys hate to hear that, but I do have a certain amount of experience in this matter.  Whether you love it, hate it, disregard it, or whatever, that's your choice.  I have zero brand loyalty, but I know what I like and why I like it.  I've seen loads of high end glass that my hunters bring into camp, and have owned a few myself.  I've used, in the field hunting, Diavari's, Z5, Z6, S&B's, NF, Meopta R1's,  and numerous other mid priced stuff.  They offer stunning optics, but the VX6 trumps them all in the ease of use category, especially at higher magnifications, and has fantastic glass as well.

I'm also involved in several different guide and outfitter programs, including Leupold, Meopta, Swaro, and Zeiss.  I'm not involved with Leica by choice.  Their Sport Optics marketing/management guys are out of touch with the competition, and lag far behind nowadays.  It's a real shame because they do offer some good products.  The only Leica's I see come into camp anymore are the Geovid RF/bino combo, and even those are few and far between.  We do see out fair share of Leica RF's though.  I've got a feeling the new Sig Kilo 2000 will take care of that though, but time will tell.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 18:09
Wow!

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 22:28

Perfect! I couldn't lift my arm fast enough to save my watch!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 04:29
Glad your watch didn't get covered Sparky.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 08:01

The real funny thing about all this is someone who did have the "experience" quoted wouldn't be the one out on the internet saying he's got it

This threads gone to hell, I apologize to the original poster. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 09:33
Just looking for a good optic for my heavy 6.5mm Creedmore to bang steel at different ranges.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 10:12
Fotis, I think any of the scope brands you mentioned will meet your needs for tracking. A tactical or varmint/silhouette style scope will probably best fit your needs since the manufacture assumes your going to be spinning the turrets often. Glass quality and reticle choices are going to be your biggest questions.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 10:18
The SWFA SS or the NF would be a better turret spinning steel slaying setup IMO.  More designed for multiple range dialing and use.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 18:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The SWFA SS or the NF would be a better turret spinning steel slaying setup IMO.  More designed for multiple range dialing and use.

Concur. Not to say the others "can't", just that the SS and NF are made for dialers. The Zeiss, Leupold, and Swaro for the leaners. Wink 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 14:16
I see a 3x15 SWFA in my future  too bad I missed the tax day sale
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 16:07
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Concur. Not to say the others "can't", just that the SS and NF are made for dialers. The Zeiss, Leupold, and Swaro for the leaners. Wink 

Leaners vs dialers.........that's pretty good!  I like it!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 16:12
Fotis, are the ranges known and how far out?
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2016 at 15:31

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Leaners vs dialers.........that's pretty good!  I like it!

Thanks, JG. I stole that line off a guy on Sniper's Hide. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic