OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Blackout Optic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 Blackout Optic
    Posted: April/16/2016 at 20:09
I picked up a H&R in 300 BO with the 16.5" barrel.  I slapped my Aimpoint Comp M2 on it to go have some fun for now with subsonic ammo and my suppressor.  

I am looking for suggestions for optics.  I am not sure the M2 is the best setup even with the magnifier behind it.  Suggestions?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2016 at 21:12
How far will you shoot with it? Subsonic?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2016 at 23:26
If you plan to go beyond 100, I recommend something with at least several mils on the vertical, subs drop like crazy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2016 at 09:09
With subs I will shoot out to 150 maybe. To 300 with supers. Never really played with this round before.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2016 at 17:37
The 6x Mil Dot  ( not the mil quad in a 6 you can see the dots easier for hold over marks the quad is very fine at 6x.)
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
 SS

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 07:37

What do you plan to do with it Andrew?  That'll dictate my recommendation.  If strictly for fun and play you wont' need to be precise but if you plan to hunt with it, that'll change things because a subsonic round needs to be put exactly where you want it to be effective.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 19:12
I am liking the SS 6x idea.  I would like it to be precise to an extent.  I probably won't hunt much with it, other than PDs a citters that like to wander past on the canal out back.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2016 at 21:02
If you go SS 6x consider Kenton Ind turrets http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa  the LR Hunter style because the speed dial wont give you much distance in only one turn with that trajectory.  I did the speed dial for a sub sonic 22 and like it but they cut the first one starting at 100 Yds which didn't give much distance only to out to about 150yds, and I had ordered it to start with a 50  yd zero which gets me to about 110 yds ( they re cut it for me) It is about ideal for a 22 to have one spin of the dial quick correction from 50 to 110 yds mainly because the range I use it on is a 100 yd range with targets at 50 and 100 and you can set others at other closer distances. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 08:14

The SS6x would be a good choice for sure. 

Another option should you want to try a "generic" holdover -

http://swfa.com/Nikon-2-7x32-P-300-Riflescope-P61433.aspx

It does have dials as well.   On the cheaper side but not sure how well that H&R will hold groups anyway. Never dealt with one.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 13:30
I like the 1-4 SS classic I have on my shorty, and RC is spot on, my hog gun with 155s has a 1.5 mil drop at 200. The shorty with 208 Amax subs drops 4.5 Mils at 200.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 13:52
No 150's yet mike?

I like my 1-4SS on my blk out also.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2016 at 21:35
They are sitting on my reloading bench, messing with to much stuff lately! When I get back from this business trip I'll start playing around again.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2016 at 07:32
The SS 6x is probably the top contender right now.  I am a big fan of scope in the 2-8 mag range like the Diamondback HD 2-8.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2016 at 19:42
After going out and shooting PDs with my 22-250, my AR-15, and the blackout, I have decided what I am going to do.  I am going to take the SS 1-6 off the AR and put it on the blackout.  The 1-6 reticle is just too big to shoot PDs at 600 yards.  The center dot basically covers them at 300 yards, but I think it could be a good scope for the blackout.

The 22-250 wears a Kahles 3-12 and I love that setup, so no change there.  Will be looking for something for the AR again.  Might steal the SS 3-15 off the Grendel to go on this AR and figure out what to put on the Grendel.  

What a rough life and tough decision!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2016 at 21:59
Sounds like a good plan.
The 3-15x42 SS is a pretty good choice for a scope on a walking varminter.
What do you use the Grendel for, for the most part? If you come up with a budget and a use case, I'll do my best to offer some suggestions.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2016 at 14:00
My Grendel with 20in barrel is getting a 3-24 March with MOA illuminated reticle.  Max utilization of all features of the Grendel.  I'm putting the 6-20 Springfield Armory Gen III back on the 7mmSTWgreat fit for that rifle.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2016 at 09:11

Doesn't it always seem like you can never get the perfect optic for all these fancy rounds out there now......  I constantly battle what works best on all these dang AR's  

Beginning to see why KB hated them so much, wasn't anything but headache of scoping them!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 18:45
I do have a spare SS 5-20 I could put on the Grendel.  I mainly use it for target practice.  My dad uses it for some of our long range competitions.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 20:34

So WHO has a SPARE SS5-20 just sitting around... HELO...

I have a SPARE NcStar 10-50 I'll trade you for it... 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 21:15
I have a spare 3-10 swaro AV, but it NEEDS a home. I NEED a 338, will move the 3-10 back where it was, time to shuffle.

Different people have different problems, do you feel sorry for me?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic