OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ideal 300 yard optic for BLR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DucksbeforeBucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideal 300 yard optic for BLR
    Posted: April/09/2016 at 04:36

Gentlemen, 

Former lurker and new member here with a typical new member question. I am currently in the market for a scope to place atop a Browning BLR chambered in .358 WIN, and am hoping for some insight or recommendations. The goal of the rifle is to be my 0-250/300 yard rifle for any game (minus the great bears) in North America. Typical species hunted would include whitetail in PA, hogs in GA, and elk in CO.

My price limit is somewhere around $1000, but I don't have a max budget per say. Uncle Sam has given me 9 glorious alcohol and tax free months to save up for the optic, but I don't believe I can justify a much higher price if Im not trying to reach past 300 yards. If Im mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Sleekness and low weight is a priority for this scope. I don't want to disrupt the handling of a nice lever action by putting a huge scope on it. 42mm is the max I would consider, but Im shooting for smaller. So far these are the scopes I am looking at. If anyone has any opinions I would greatly appreciate them, for I grew up with bargain Wal-Mart scopes and am not an expert in higher end optics. My current scope on my all purpose ER Shaw .308 is a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 (for reference purposes).

Scopes (In no particular order)

Leupold VX6 1-6x

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49436.aspx

Leica ER5 1.5-8x32 (Does anyone actually have these???)

http://swfa.com/Leica-15-8x32-ER-5-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P80934.aspx

Swarowski Z3 3x9x36

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx

Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32

http://swfa.com/Vortex-15-8x32-Razor-HD-LH-Rifle-Scope-P89901.aspx

Again, any thoughts or personal experiences are welcome. Currently...I think Im in a toss up between the Swaro and the Vortex.

-Chuck

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 05:17
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

You've come to the right place. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 12:23
Were it me, it would be the swaro. I have a few of the older AV series, the 1" tubes in which the new Z3s are based, and love them. They are great in low light, glass is amazing, and mine have held up well ( though not mounted on a 358.)
That said, Vortex is a good option. I have lots of vortex optics and have never been disappointed. I have no experience with that specific optic, but I doubt it would disappoint.

Keep in mind that most of your game likes darkness, and 200 yards in the failing light is still 200 yards. Bright is good, and small objective means low power.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 13:08
Welcome DucksbeforeBucks! In all actuality, any of the scopes you listed would work. I am a bit biased towards the little Swaro... I have three. Another possibility, for low light usage, would be the Trijicon Accupoint. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 13:17
Vortex Razor HD LH.

I am playing with one and I am impressed.

ILya
DucksbeforeBucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DucksbeforeBucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 14:26
I actually stumbled across your initial review of the 2-10 Razor HD LR on opticsthoughts the other day. My only concern is the reticle thickness...will it get lost in thick brush? The center dot looks awful tiny in the photo you posted.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 15:46
I have not tried it in thick brush, but so far it is pretty visible across a range of conditions.

I sent the 1.5-8x32 to a friend of mine who also posts here. It will be interesting to see what he thinks.

The two thick horizontal bars with stepdown stadia really help converge on the aiming point in lie light, but I want another set of eyes to confirm my impressions.

ILya
DucksbeforeBucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DucksbeforeBucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2016 at 03:02
Thanks for the insight. I still have a couple months until Im back in the States and ready to make a purchase, so I guess Ill stay tuned and see what your buddy has to say about the optic.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2016 at 07:37
Not listed but I used a Leica ERi 2.5-10X on my .308 BLR.  I found that having illumination was a good fit for what was a brush gun most of the time.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2016 at 07:50
Excellent  Me too.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic