OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Loctite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loctite?
    Posted: April/06/2016 at 17:21
I searched loctite here and got only a few hits.  Respected members recommend Blue for bases and some don't use it.  Could I please get some opinion regarding loctite style products on bases and ring caps, please?

Other sites can get a little heated over this.  I consider both ways appropriate and figure this group knows about scope installation and more importantly constant experimentation.  My concern is removing those dinky screws without damage.  After visiting the Loctite site there is no way I'd use Red Loctite, Blue only.

I'm asking for a 223, 22LR, and a mid-power pellet springer rifle.  No heavy hitters planned at this time.  Springers have a reputation as scope killers.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 17:27
I rarely use any on bases and NEVER on ring caps. I swap bases and rings out so much that I don't typically use any Loctite any more. 

I have used blue Loctite on the underneath of bases to prevent water from wicking under there.  

Proper torquing of base and cap screws on quality bases should suffice.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 17:56
The Loctite 222 Purple would be the better choice on the scope screws. Holds but is removable.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Canuck Bob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 18:22
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The Loctite 222 Purple would be the better choice on the scope screws. Holds but is removable.

Thanks, Loctite site didn't list this.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 21:23
I dont use any, I just check mine when i clean the rifle. Never had one come loose while in use.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 09:38
I use blue on scope caps, I've had screws shoot loose in the field.

If it is a bench gun, not that important; if it is a "life-n-death" gun, seems a no brainer, at least to me, if the life and death are mine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 14:02
I've used it on occasion with a Remington 700 action. Sometimes they aren't completely uniform. Blue loctite acts as a skim bed for a base. Otherwise, it hasn't been necessary to use anything. I do check screws once in a rare while (before each hunting season or range sight-in).
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 16:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I use blue on scope caps, I've had screws shoot loose in the field.

If it is a bench gun, not that important; if it is a "life-n-death" gun, seems a no brainer, at least to me, if the life and death are mine.

What mounts came loose? 

You Marines! Put a Marine in a straight jacket in a locked room over night with a bowling ball.....The next day damn bowling ball is either broken, lost, or pregnant. 
Wink 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 16:32
Broken, yes, probably; pregnant, no, only Navy-sized junk would fit in those tiny little bowling ball holes.

I very specifically recall it happening on a badger ring, but it has happened at other, less memorable times too.  These aren't bench guns shot in sunlight and moved gingerly from safe to bench and back.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 16:32
WHOA!!!!!

😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 17:23
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Broken, yes, probably; pregnant, no, only Navy-sized junk would fit in those tiny little bowling ball holes.

Steel Benz might beg to differ on this!! Laugh

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 17:51
I am pretty fond of blue loctite myself. My 300wsm eats scope mounts. It has sheared of the front screw (the one over the barrel tenon) twice. Ring caps are a joke to that rifle. It now wears Badger everything. And I check it before I shoot it every time out of the case.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2016 at 22:17
A small squeeze tube of the Loctite 222 was included with the SS HD 1-6 & Bobro mount kit 2 years ago.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 06:29
The OLD OT is starting to poke its head out in this thread... Excellent
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 06:31
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

The OLD OT is starting to poke its head out in this thread... Excellent

Is that a good thing?? Peeker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 06:33
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I am pretty fond of blue loctite myself. My 300wsm eats scope mounts. It has sheared of the front screw (the one over the barrel tenon) twice. Ring caps are a joke to that rifle. It now wears Badger everything. And I check it before I shoot it every time out of the case.

And....this is from yet another former Marine. What do you people do when your not breaking sh*t? Big Grin 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 06:50
Navy size junk???? You know what that front flap on a squids dress blue pants is called? A Marine Corps platter!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 08:35
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

And....this is from yet another former Marine. What do you people do when your not breaking sh*t? Big Grin 

Usually somebody's girlfriend.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 16:53
Ah so...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic