OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nightforce SHV and alternatives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightforce SHV and alternatives
    Posted: April/06/2016 at 14:52
Hey all,

New member here.

I am in the process of purchasing a Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard in .270 Win and I am trying to get some feedback for scope selection. I have only really had experience with Leupold optics and I think I am going to try to see what else is out there for this particular setup.

Hunting Range: 100-300 yds, occasional 400 yd shot
Hunting Game: primarily predators, pigs/hogs, sheep/ram, and deer
Hunting Area: mainly West and South Texas; open terrain for the most part

Right now I feel like I am pretty set on the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42mm, but I can't find many user reviews on the scope. I was wondering if anybody had any first had experience with this scope, specifically the magnification and reticle selection. For my hunting range, I think the 3-10x will be more than sufficient and i also think i can go with the more simplistic IHR reticle (as opposed to the MOAR, since I do not see the need for the precision of the MOAR for my hunting range).

Sorry for the long post, any feedback will be much appreciated. I could always throw a VX-3 on there for $300 less, so I'm really trying to get a feel for the SHV or anything anyone else might recommend. THANKS!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 15:05
For the stated application, I would seriously consider a Trijicon Accupoint, either 3-9 or 2.5-10.  For low light, they are great.

On the NF, I have significant experience with their NXS stuff, none with the new SHV.  I do see that the SHV line is non illuminated, which ain't ideal for what you plan to do with it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dtex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 15:36
Thanks for the feedback Rancid.  For some insane reason, I hadn't even considered the Trijicon accupoints b/c I was thinking more along the lines of hunting and forgot they had that line of scopes.  I have a Trijicon TA55A with the .308 BDC on my AR10 and it is by far one of my favorite scopes.  Ill be sure to check those out, I know a local shop that has a few in stock.

Also, you mentioned that non illum is not optimal for my intended use.  I have never hunted with illuminated reticles before.  Have you?  And if so, how big of an asset is it when hunting at dawn and esp dusk?

Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 15:51
Don't rule out the Leupold VX-R's either, Friend. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 20:30
Hogs like darkness, guns I use on pigs all have illumination, it makes night shots possible. On game animals, it might give you 3-5 more minutes of shooting time at dusk and dawn.

The accupoints are very different from acoga, but very good scopes in low light,
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 21:38
The accupoints are great. vxr's are good scopes. Meopta has some great stuff as well
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 22:40
I have a Trijicon Accupoint 5X20X50 BAC and a NF SHV 4X14X50 F1 as well as a NXS 5.5X22X50. Both the NF scopes have the MOAR reticle with center only illumination. The FFP SHV is an excellent low light hunting optic as well as long range scope. As light fades, the reticle tends to be more like a #4 than a ranging reticle. For pure low light function and hunting, the Trijicon is at the least its equal, maybe better. However, the glass is not as good IMO when looking through it in good light. The Trijicon is also limited in elevation adjustment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic