OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 1-4x24 classic illumination brightness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csrevenant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 1-4x24 classic illumination brightness
    Posted: April/03/2016 at 02:22
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 1-4x scope, most likely the SS 1-4x24 classic. However, I wanted to know how bright the max illumination is related to other scopes in this price range, like a Viper PST, MTAC, etc. Is it bright enough to stand out against dark areas in the day?
csrevenant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csrevenant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2016 at 18:33
I pulled the trigger on it. Big Grin
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2016 at 18:48
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I had a SS 1-4x, but I didn't comment on ho it compares to the others, because I don't know. 

Let us know how you like it. Going on an AR, I suspect? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csrevenant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2016 at 19:54
I'll let you know, and yeah it is for an AR.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 18:30
I have the 1-4x classic and the 1-6x HD. Both have adequate illumination. There are enuf setting options to cover any condition you find yoursef in. They are both awesome scope but are apples and oranges to compare.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csrevenant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2016 at 10:11
Got it yesterday. Awesome scope. Nice glass, illumination was brighter than I expected, very solid construction and crisp turrets.Big Grin
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2016 at 13:43
You did well. This scope is a bargain.
Doug
andoerin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andoerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2016 at 09:52
How would you describe the eye relief cone? I am looking for a 1-4X and considering this as an option but with a listing of 3-5" on eye relief it makes me wonder how forgiving the scope is of the different shooting positions for AR shooting. Do you have any low power variables to compare to? The competition for this optic is the Viper PST which lists only 1 eye relief figure at 4", but the 3 gun people seem to like the "eye box" on vortex scopes. I don't think the eye relief metric appropriately addresses how easy it is to see the scope image in different shooting positions.  For me it's coming down to the SS or the Leupy AR Mod 1. Don't like the weight of vortex, or the illumination control on the bell housing, I hate the blob of a reticle on the MTAC and the Quad-Mil Reticle looks very nice.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2016 at 23:20
Man, i looked at many an optic for years before i dumped my money. The SS AR scopes are badass for the money and can stand with the best of em on any battlefield. The guys at SWFA sell every brand and model. They know what works and what sells. They also know what fails and is warrantied. So with all this inside info on the competetion, when they come out with their products, they are always right on the money.
I have both HD and Classic scopes. HD is nicer for sure. But it is not necessary. The classic line is more than adequate.
I know a guy that uses the 1-6x HD and has propelled himself to #69 in the 3 gun nation in his first year.
Buttept View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2016 at 15:46
Quote Man, i looked at many an optic for years before i dumped my money. The SS AR scopes are badass for the money and can stand with the best of em on any battlefield. The guys at SWFA sell every brand and model. They know what works and what sells. They also know what fails and is warrantied. So with all this inside info on the competetion, when they come out with their products, they are always right on the money.
I have both HD and Classic scopes. HD is nicer for sure. But it is not necessary. The classic line is more than adequate.
I know a guy that uses the 1-6x HD and has propelled himself to #69 in the 3 gun nation in his first year.

i agree on what you said. competitions are very inrtruiging that made them all into selling their item for the sake of money and for the customers satisfaction. but i am not saying it as a whole am also just sayin what i observe often. for me HD is what i preferred at this point in time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic