OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex razor hd vs swaro hd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex razor hd vs swaro hd
    Posted: March/31/2016 at 00:30
I'm looking to buy a new spotting scope. Can't decide between the vortex razor hd 20-60 85mm, or the Swarovski sts/ats 20-60 80mm. I can get a vortex for $1200 brand new, been looking for used swaro but still around $2500 or more. Wondering if swaro would be worth the extra $1300. How do the two scopes compare? Never looked through a vortex razor hd. Thoughts?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 13:46
Not sure about the spotter ... but I have Vortex Razor HD Binocs that are VERY nice. My spotter is a Kowa (which is about as good as it gets), but the Vortex units will certainly do the job they were intended for. I would not hesitate on the Vortex.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 14:00
What are you going to use the spotter for and what kind of conditions?
If I had the money, I would go for the Swaro and know I had one of the best of the Alpha scopes and not look back. If money is an issue, then I would go for the Razor knowing it's the next best thing to Alpha glass, and be happy knowing I got the best I could afford.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 14:02
Originally posted by Ruff Ruff wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new spotting scope. Can't decide between the vortex razor hd 20-60 85mm, or the Swarovski sts/ats 20-60 80mm. I can get a vortex for $1200 brand new, been looking for used swaro but still around $2500 or more. Wondering if swaro would be worth the extra $1300. How do the two scopes compare? Never looked through a vortex razor hd. Thoughts?

Swaro is better, but not by much.

If I were spending my money, I would get the Razor HD.

Somewhere between these two, however, is the new Minox MD88, which looks pretty impressive.

ILya
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2016 at 23:20
I have experience with the Swaro and own the Razor you mention. As koshkin says, Swaro is better but not $1300 (in your case) better.

Though I do not always fall in favor of all Vortex products I strongly support this spotter.  The Vortex Razor heavily infringes on the grounds of alpha glass. Good scope, good value.

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2016 at 09:32
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Somewhere between these two, however, is the new Minox MD88, which looks pretty impressive.

ILya

Interesting. Are you doing a write up on the Minox? I know I am very pleased with my Minox HG binos.
SafariDreaming View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SafariDreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 11:29
I currently own both the Razor 85mm and the Swaro ATS 80 (25-50x zoom).

Optically the Vortex is very close to the Swaro. Both have a wonderfully flat field with great colour. 

I'm using the 25-50x wide angle eyepiece in the Swaro so comparatively the FOV in the Vortex is slightly smaller across the range.

Physically, the Swaro is around 250g lighter - doesnt sound much but when you handle both, its quite apparent. 

That being said the biggest difference TO ME is the range of the focus on both scopes. When I'm trying to get focus to infinity, the Razor hits the end of the focus almost immediately, so there have instances when I'm not entirely sure if I've achieved focus or not because image just seem to be sharp.

With the Swaro, I've got about a quarter turn on the left after achieving focus so i can go back and forth on the focus ring a couple of times to be completely satisfied with image.

Ultimately, I dont think there's $1300 of difference in the two scopes, but the ergonomics and handling of one over the other made a huge difference to me, to the point where I'll be selling my Vortex Razor shortly and keeping the Swaro. I think its simply a much better scope FOR ME.

cheers
Jeelan

stratofisher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratofisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 20:13
I have a few year old Leupold Gold Ring HD in the 60mm and was wondering if it would be worth trading for the Vortex.   Thinking the bigger objective would be helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic