OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka CTR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka CTR
    Posted: March/26/2016 at 14:33
Ive shared my love of Tikka rifles before...amazingly smooth bolt and cycling, great trigger, and overall great fit and finish...plus they shoot lights out and are often cheaper than other options.  A great value.  

Im not a benchrest guru by any means...but wanted to share part of my morning fun.  I have only shot handloads through this rifle and just started reloading in early 2015.  Nosler custom brass and CCI primers with IMR4831.  Have really liked H4350 as well also.

Anyways, I dont shoot from a rest...I shot from a front bag only with a fixed 6 SS MQ at 100 yards. Shot 9 groups of 3 today with varying loads...here they are so its all of them, not cherry picking.  All 123 Amax at 2.831 length.

Target 1 A,B,C = 44 grains, 123 Amax

Target 1 D, Target 2 A,B = 44.5 grains, 123 Amax (average group just under .5 inch)

Target 2 C,D, Target 3 = 45.0 grains, 123 Amax (no idea on 1st 2 groups but last group on larger target = .211" if i am right (.475 minus bullet diameter of .264)

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
kaiwang188 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiwang188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2016 at 17:21
Nice
K. Wang
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2016 at 17:54
I love my CRT. I did toss the stock, picked up a McMillan on sale, paid them to inlet it, way better!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2016 at 11:11
RC, what scope have you used on your CTR? I'm looking a this in the 308 and thought about the Burris XTR II 2-10. Or, maybe the SS 3-9. Have both.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2016 at 20:54
I have a Helsoldt 3-12SFP, favorite scope ever. Almost every rifle I own has worn it for a time.

I love the rifle. With the McMilla stock, it handles great, shoots great, and is a weight that doesn't make me regret it half a mile into a nice walk in the woods.
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2016 at 21:28
Yes! Less weight is a good thing. I want to sell a Robar sr60 that is really old technology by today's standards. And, it weighs a lot. Love the idea of a 'walking tac rifle'.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 09:54
Check your fire!

A Robar SR60 is a perfectly serviceable rifle! If it is a decent action, a good barrel, and a decent stock, that is a great gun.  The stock is not as nice as the SR90s, but the gun is a solid build and a nice gun.

I'll try to get the Tikka on the scale.  And keep in mind my usual hunting rifles are on the heavy side, not stalking guns, so my TCTR is considered svelte because it isn't 15 pounds.  If you are looking for a 9 pound all-in, Tikka CTR might not be right for you.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 10:26
Robar makes fine rifles...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:32

You are both right, it is a good rifle. Got it 20+ yrs ago as a Thunder Ranch Special. Even took the class with Robbie Barkman, so I guess I should keep it for that alone. The barrel is Sheileen (sp) and the action a worked over m700 in a McMillan stock. The stock is heavy for what it is--a traditional configuration with simple lines. What I really don't like is the blind mag well. It does shoot, however with its 20" barrel.  I'm thinking of ordering the new Magpul  stock for it that would give me a 5 or 10 round detaching mag.  Maybe I should just get the CTR anyway.

And, would you guys recommend the stainless barrel on the CTR over the blued?

burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:40

PS....I don't understand RC's mention of 9 lbs, and it may not be the rifle I'm looking for...?  The catalog says the CTR comes in at 7.5 lbs. With scope it will likely be right at 9#, right?  I'm a retired guy so I'd probably look at changing the stock down the road.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 21:08
My CTR wears a 2 pound scope, bipod, and suppressor. With mounts, ammo, all in, it isn't s light weight gun.

On the SR60, look for aftermarket bottom metal, some fits blind box footprint, some will require intelling, which McMillan or a decent smith can do. I am okay with many applications and a blind mag, but agree that sometimes a quick mag chnage is a good thing on a bolt gun.

Were it me, I'd keep the SR60 and get a caliber that covered a deficiency in my arsenal. Since the CTR is a 20" barrel also, look for something that does what the 308 does not. Look to 243, 260, or similar. If you aren't a hand loader, look for something that you can easily find ammo for.
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 21:36

Your thoughts are appreciated RC. And you are correct to suggest looking for 'holes' in my lineup. Living where I do, something toward the bigger end could make sense, but I've got a 35 Whelan, and sold a beautiful 9.3x62--I was concerned about a fair amount of shooting and my retinas.  Maybe considering the 260 CTR is an idea, but I was under the impression that a 20" tube would hamstring that round.

Maybe I should look at the 300 WM and a 24-26" barrel for it.  Anyway I value your thoughts--I get a fresh perspective from hearing what you guys have to say.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2016 at 06:31
I am a 300WM guy, always recommend when I can. I have a few, love the round, love the effect on target as a hunting caliber. I went to Afeica a few years back, took only a 300WM. Almost everything dropped to a single round, it was awesome.

There is no CTR 300WM, and their T3 stuff is great but a little light weight for that caliber to most shooters.

A 260 does benefit from a longer tube, but it only really matters at long range.
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2016 at 23:07
Did you hunt mostly antelope on that African trip? I've heard before about going to Africa with one gun. I went with my wife about 30 years ago for a sightseeing safari. Tanzania and Kenya...got stuck in a tent at the end of a small row of tents in the Masi Mara. Preserve--no rifle, lions around all night and it was the low season so we were the only ones there....  Your way of going is much better.
I found a Savage long-range hunter 300wm on sale for $699 today. Alot of features for the $, and I'm on a budget. Got it coming. Probably a good entry into distance shooting.  I always found that the 308 was anemic past 800 yds.  Too affected by the physics i guess. 

Now to decide on a 'budget' scope. I'm afraid to look through a Hensoldt...I'd be ruined for life. But some level of quality is necessary, I know. Distance and all....
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2016 at 04:50
Originally posted by burfurd burfurd wrote:

Did you hunt mostly antelope on that African trip? I've heard before about going to Africa with one gun. I went with my wife about 30 years ago for a sightseeing safari. Tanzania and Kenya...got stuck in a tent at the end of a small row of tents in the Masi Mara. Preserve--no rifle, lions around all night and it was the low season so we were the only ones there....  Your way of going is much better.
I found a Savage long-range hunter 300wm on sale for $699 today. Alot of features for the $, and I'm on a budget. Got it coming. Probably a good entry into distance shooting.  I always found that the 308 was anemic past 800 yds.  Too affected by the physics i guess. 

Now to decide on a 'budget' scope. I'm afraid to look through a Hensoldt...I'd be ruined for life. But some level of quality is necessary, I know. Distance and all....

Hensoldt appears to have taken a nosedive.  I don't see much praise for the brand since Cassidian took over and Airbus became the "owner".  I would not purchase a Hensoldt, now, without an extensive session of hands on use.  My wife purchased one for me, (before Cassidian/Airbus) it is the best rifle scope I've ever had hands on.  Tangent Theta appears to be the top of the hill right now.  My Q&D look at Tangent Theta left me really wishing for more.  S&B still makes "uber" scopes.  TT and S&B are HIGH dollar, though.  Big investment.  Hensoldt can be had in the vicinity of half or less what they were sold for when owned by Zeiss.  Not sure it is worth it.  Nothing I see today indicates Hensoldt has any quality left. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
burfurd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burfurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2016 at 10:35
This is important info. The price tag makes this no simple/easy decision.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2016 at 13:03
Be advised,tikka stocks suck. Everything else is awesome.

Then again, most of the other options do too.

I am happy to recommend options.

The stocks don't break, but aren't comfortable.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 06:47
The CTR looks like a great package. The relatively short 10 round mag is awesome. Must be a double stack. Love the threaded barrel. Would work well with a Thunderbeast suppressor.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 07:41
I have yet to find a rifle that doesn't do well with a thunderbeast suppressor.

Yes, it is a double-stack mag.

As with all T3s, the stock sucks; however, that isn't a terribly expensive fix, and everything else about it is damn near perfect, so yes, great gun.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 15:41
Love my Tikka 300WSM.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic