OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is the Mil-dot Master tool and MOA scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Mil-dot Master tool and MOA scope?
    Posted: March/22/2016 at 19:30
Hi all. Just wondering if the Mil-Dot Master is worth getting if I were to buy the SS 10x with the MOA-Quad reticle. Any opinions, knowledge to share, etc? 
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2016 at 20:20
And sorry for the lame thread title. I starting writing something that ran too long, then did a bad job of shortening it. Hah. 

So is the Master mainly for Mil-radian scopes?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2016 at 04:28
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2016 at 19:35
Thanks! That does shed some light, before I throw down an extra $30 onto my scope order. One thing I find a little confusing about the manual. When it makes numerous statements along these lines:

• Conversion to Mil (holdover) 
• Conversion to MOA (sight adjustment) 

Does the manual assume that the scope in question has a mil-dot reticle (that part's obvious) but has an MOA elevation turret?? Otherwise, why would they be universally referring to holdovers in mil and sight adjustments in MOA?  

FYI, I've never owned a scope with a mil-dot reticle so some of this is new to me. 
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2016 at 19:55
Hmm. On the site's main page it explains things a little better. I don't think this tool is for me though, if I get the SS MOA-quad reticle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2016 at 21:18
If you get MOA reticle, no, it is called a mil dot master for a reason.

If you get mil (and you should, mil is better, just as metric is better), it will be of use. I learned on mil reticle and MOA turret, everything I own now is mil/mil, it's easier to use, harder to miscalculate.

A laser range finder and a drop chart and you are good to go, assuming you can call wind, which is a whole other thing.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 08:29
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you get MOA reticle, no, it is called a mil dot master for a reason.

If you get mil (and you should, mil is better, just as metric is better), it will be of use. I learned on mil reticle and MOA turret, everything I own now is mil/mil, it's easier to use, harder to miscalculate.

A laser range finder and a drop chart and you are good to go, assuming you can call wind, which is a whole other thing.
PREACH IT!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 09:14
As stated it won't work with your MOA scope.  Most US tactical scopes used to have MOA adjustments and mil reticles.  Thankfully most have changed that and offer use matching setups now.

The 1/4 MOA adjustments of the SS are a finer unit of adjustment of the .1 mil.  Some shooters like that because it offers more precision.  At long range it can make a difference.  .1 mil is basically 1/3 moa.  So if you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy (out of the two SS options) the MOA will be finer that way.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 09:57
It is, from a factual standpoint, true; however, I have yet to see it make much of a difference anywhere but in a competition.

I use mil/mil all but exclusively and have never had a situation where I could not do what needed doing with mil/mil setup.  Then again, I am usually not trying to make a .5 inch adjustment at 600 yards.  So do, I understand, but the vast majority will never be able to use the finer adjustment of a MOA turret at range.  At 100 yards, where most play, that is the diameter of the most common caliber, so a sub-caliber adjustment is only so useful.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 10:05
Agreed completely.  Plus there are lots more options for mil/mil scopes than there are for moa/moa.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 10:08
Thanks guys. I'm not at all against mil-rad measurements. Sounds like an easy system to pick up. I'm sure I will end up with a scope or two that uses it, at some point. 

Some of you might laugh, but my attraction to the MOA SS scope is the reticle. I really like that divorced dot (if that's the term) in the center. The other fixed scopes don't have it, from what I see. Nothing wrong with X-hairs, but I love the idea of being able to put that little center dot in the middle of a bullseye, or on a distant plate. 

FYI, I'd be putting this on my AR "SPR" with a 20" barrel. Since I discovered that it shoots .5 MOA using my handloads want more of a precision scope than the Redfield Revolution 4-12x that's sitting on it now. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2016 at 10:33
The IOR mp8 has a dot like that in the center.  I used to own several of the IOR scopes with the MP8 and it is still my favorite reticle I have ever used because of that dot.  So I get your want, it is a great feature IMO. 

MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2016 at 12:25
Thanks. I did order the MOA scope. And I received a notification that it shipped out yesterday. I'm very curious to check it out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic