OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope advice/opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope advice/opinions
    Posted: March/17/2016 at 17:22
Hello all, been lurking for awhile, first post. I recently (impulse) bought a Tikka ctr in .260 rem. I kinda see the rifle as an all-arounder. Light enough to shoot off hand and long legged enough to reach out from a rested position. So I've been looking to find a good all around scope. High on my list is the swfa 3-15x42. The one with the mqdm retinal. Also considering the 3-15x42 ffp mil quad, 3-9x42 ffp mil quad and the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32. I'd like to stay in the price range of these options. So please tell me, am I on the right track? Opinions on which of these would be best for my use, or other options I might not have considered? Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2016 at 18:16
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

How far out are you really anticipating shooting this rifle....95% of the time?
Do you prefer a FFP or a SFP reticle?  

My personal "all rounder rifle", a Remington .308, dons a SS 3-9x and it has honestly exceeded all my needs for this rifle. 

No hocus pocus side focus spinneration for me.... The SS 3-9x has EXCELLENT turrets and exceptional glass performance. The HD glass on the SS 3-9x, has been compared favorably with a Zeiss Conquest by some here and that ain't too shabby.  
Mine is one of the very first SS 3-9x's, (number #21) and it has a standard Mil Dot. If I were shooting mostly off a bipod or rest, I'd say to check the SS 3-15x. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2016 at 19:17

Welcome.  You will not find a better crowd to answer honestly and patiently...

Glad you are out of the shadows!!! 

1st answer the above SFP vs FFP and if FFP then proceed to

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

And do not look back or Call 972-SCOPEIT Press 1(for sales) and listen to English speaking professional located in the Heart of USA, Texas (the only state that can secede, to which we all might have to move to depending on the next election).

Even though it does not have the high side 10x-15x you make up for it with the crispness of the image and the glass.  It is the best glass they offer. 

It is crystal clear no visible imperfections and is very sharp with great contrast and low chromatic aberration.

I think you will find that clarity of image makes up for the loss of the higher end magnification.

The low side has less tunneling as well on the 3-9 as it does the 3-15...

At 9x it is more preferable to me than the 10x or 10xHD...

Does anyone on here know the FOV at the different mag ranges between the two???

Without the above seeming advertisement.

I was a skeptic about 9 years ago and tried one of the early models of SWFA SS scopes (after owning a true Tasco glass at the edge model).

I can say the 3-9HD and the 10HD are awesome, and the 5-20HD is near unrivaled for the price point for extreme long distances.

After becoming a believer I joined this forum to be in the know on the SWFA SS line and have hung around since.

Due to financial reasons I have chosen to go to SWFA SS line for most things I wanted to have a MIL-Dot or Size/Ranging Reticle. 

While I have strayed off the path a few times for the Sightron SIII due to price point the SWFA knocks it socks off with the 3-9HD.

I had tried Vortex and some still like the lower end scope you posted above but they are not as consistent across the line of the PST scopes and even the two 2.5-10's that I owned were not duplicates mechanically the deviation was significant between the two.  I swapped 1 out for a 3-9HD and the other out for a 10XHD and was very happy in doing so...

Due to your application and knowing your cartridges seemingly limitless abilities the 3-9xHD at this point 9x will get you to the paper at the longer ranges much more clearly with no degradation of the picture as the 3-15 from 10x-15x images starts to change and gets little less intense and has less contrast...(maybe someone will use the right words and correct me)...

After all that rambling the 3-9HD if FFP is what you are looking for is preferable to my eyes over the other scopes mentioned and is worth the difference in the relatively low dollars between the 2.

dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2016 at 20:07
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

How far out are you really anticipating shooting this rifle....95% of the time?
Do you prefer a FFP or a SFP reticle?  

My personal "all rounder rifle", a Remington .308, dons a SS 3-9x and it has honestly exceeded all my needs for this rifle. 

No hocus pocus side focus spinneration for me.... The SS 3-9x has EXCELLENT turrets and exceptional glass performance. The HD glass on the SS 3-9x, has been compared favorably with a Zeiss Conquest by some here and that ain't too shabby.  
Mine is one of the very first SS 3-9x's, (number #21) and it has a standard Mil Dot. If I were shooting mostly off a bipod or rest, I'd say to check the SS 3-15x. 

Well I have a couple places less than an hour away that I could get out to 1000yrds if I wanted to. Honestly 95% of my shooting will be at one of those places. I'm new to any type of long range shooting and some spinning interests me but I think I have a better rifle for 3-15 ss. A Tikka stainless varmint in 308. I think you're right about the 3-9 for the ctr ss an all around package. Thanks
dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2016 at 20:18
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Welcome.  You will not find a better crowd to answer honestly and patiently...

Glad you are out of the shadows!!! 

1st answer the above SFP vs FFP and if FFP then proceed to

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

And do not look back or Call 972-SCOPEIT Press 1(for sales) and listen to English speaking professional located in the Heart of USA, Texas (the only state that can secede, to which we all might have to move to depending on the next election).

Even though it does not have the high side 10x-15x you make up for it with the crispness of the image and the glass.  It is the best glass they offer. 

It is crystal clear no visible imperfections and is very sharp with great contrast and low chromatic aberration.

I think you will find that clarity of image makes up for the loss of the higher end magnification.

The low side has less tunneling as well on the 3-9 as it does the 3-15...

At 9x it is more preferable to me than the 10x or 10xHD...

Does anyone on here know the FOV at the different mag ranges between the two???

Without the above seeming advertisement.

I was a skeptic about 9 years ago and tried one of the early models of SWFA SS scopes (after owning a true Tasco glass at the edge model).

I can say the 3-9HD and the 10HD are awesome, and the 5-20HD is near unrivaled for the price point for extreme long distances.

After becoming a believer I joined this forum to be in the know on the SWFA SS line and have hung around since.

Due to financial reasons I have chosen to go to SWFA SS line for most things I wanted to have a MIL-Dot or Size/Ranging Reticle. 

While I have strayed off the path a few times for the Sightron SIII due to price point the SWFA knocks it socks off with the 3-9HD.

I had tried Vortex and some still like the lower end scope you posted above but they are not as consistent across the line of the PST scopes and even the two 2.5-10's that I owned were not duplicates mechanically the deviation was significant between the two.  I swapped 1 out for a 3-9HD and the other out for a 10XHD and was very happy in doing so...

Due to your application and knowing your cartridges seemingly limitless abilities the 3-9xHD at this point 9x will get you to the paper at the longer ranges much more clearly with no degradation of the picture as the 3-15 from 10x-15x images starts to change and gets little less intense and has less contrast...(maybe someone will use the right words and correct me)...

After all that rambling the 3-9HD if FFP is what you are looking for is preferable to my eyes over the other scopes mentioned and is worth the difference in the relatively low dollars between the 2.

Some good cases made for the 3-9. That's actually the scope I was thinking of when I first got the rifle. Too many forums and over thinking about things I'll never actually use the rifle for led to the other choices. Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2016 at 22:09
If you are already spending that much why not spend a bit more and go with the Super Sniper 5-20x50 mount it in Talley Lightweight ringmounts.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 08:30
I have 2 5-20HD scopes. They were well worth the wait!! If a guy could only have 1 rifle scope, this would the THE ONE!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 09:54
MikieG… you seem really biased… just because the SS 5-20's have huge, repeatable, adjustment range, great glass, tactile and audible adjustments, a super reticle illuminated if desired,side focus, and are TOUGH and reliable at a fantastic price(a true value), you go all gushy on them… Geez...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 12:29
For an allrounder, I'd be looking at the 3-9x42 as well.
The 3-15x42 with MQ DM reticle is a SFP model, so it is a little bit of a different beast.  That reticle does work well in low light.
The little 2.5-10x32 Vortex is also a nice design and I like it a fair bit, and is a good option if you decide you really must have reticle illumination or if you want a more compact scope (not lighter, but a little more compact).

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 12:49
Respectfully, a 5x at the low end ain't an all 'rounder in my AO. Seriously. My world is 300 yards and in.
Mostly....90%... the latter. 

I know the SS 5-20x is a dandy scope no doubt, but not a "all 'rounder"...round here. Wink 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 13:17
5x is certainly not "too much" for low end… many hunters hunt with 6x fixed as an "all arounder".  4x fixed was long THE "go to" for all around hunting.  Matter of personal preference.  If one uses Xx and gains confidence with it, not an issue…
10x fixed was long a "staple" for military… at any range… still is in some circles...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 15:08
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

5x is certainly not "too much" for low end… many hunters hunt with 6x fixed as an "all arounder".  4x fixed was long THE "go to" for all around hunting.  Matter of personal preference.  If one uses Xx and gains confidence with it, not an issue…
10x fixed was long a "staple" for military… at any range… still is in some circles...

And...many hunters still use iron sights, resisting the urge to "scope" their rifles all together.  

Fixed 10x, you say?? There's no bigger SS 10x leg humper than Moi...in certain shooting positions. Namely, off a bench at static targets. 

The iconic 3-9x is my choice of an all 'rounder. The low end of 3x gives the shooter an exceptional field of view for close up work, whilst the top end of 9x enables one more than enough power to engage game out to "reasonable" distances. 9x is good enough to shoot groups at the range, and/or load development also.

The low power magnification of 2x or 3x is much more important than the high end these days. 5x low simply won't work for me for an all 'rounder. Nope...   No No      
dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 21:41
Picking out a scope can really make a guy's head hurt. Lol thanks for all the good insight, everyone. I mentioned the viper pst 2.5-10x32 because it's the only one I've been able to mess with in person and only in a store. I did like how compact it was, though. I'm really liking the idea of how simple the ss3-9x42 is. Will it easily get me to 1000yrds, if I wanted to? The rifle is pretty light but I want a scope that will keep up with the potential of the 260 rem as I learn to shoot longer ranges and still work well closer. Asking a lot, I know. As for the ss5-20 hd I'd love to have one but it's a little more than I want to spend right now. My wife is very supportive of me prusing my hobbies, I'd be a fool to press my luck. Lol What about the ss3-15 ffp with the mq retical as an option?
dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 22:04
Re-read some earlier posts on this thread about the ss3-9 vs the ss3-15. From what I'm reading seems like the 3-9 is the better scope and probably my best choice.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 22:18
I'm not sure I would call it a better scope, just better suited to your stated applications, maybe.

I have a CTR in 308, great rifle for the money. I have long been a Tikka fan, even to the point of using them now for custom builds, they have all the features you'd pay $1200+ to find on a good action, and for much less $$.

On the scope, I have and use both SS scopes mentioned, they are quite good. Which to recommend depends on what is most important. i often tell people to set the rifle up for the common shot, not the "once a year" shot or range trip. If most work will be done inside 500, set the rifle up for that; if it is to be a 1,000 yard gun, set it up for that.

For a 700+ gun, I would do the 3-15; for a 100-400 I'd do the 3-9. My AR with SS3-9 occasionally sees beyond 500, but seldom. If I need more legs, I have other, better-suited options.
Get the scope that fits the shot.
And get good rings.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2016 at 22:34
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'm not sure I would call it a better scope, just better suited to your stated applications, maybe.

I have a CTR in 308, great rifle for the money. I have long been a Tikka fan, even to the point of using them now for custom builds, they have all the features you'd pay $1200+ to find on a good action, and for much less $$.

On the scope, I have and use both SS scopes mentioned, they are quite good. Which to recommend depends on what is most important. i often tell people to set the rifle up for the common shot, not the "once a year" shot or range trip. If most work will be done inside 500, set the rifle up for that; if it is to be a 1,000 yard gun, set it up for that.

For a 700+ gun, I would do the 3-15; for a 100-400 I'd do the 3-9. My AR with SS3-9 occasionally sees beyond 500, but seldom. If I need more legs, I have other, better-suited options.
Get the scope that fits the shot.
And get good rings.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't hunt so most of my shooting will be at the range or public lands and can really get some long ranges. I really like the tikkas the only two sporting type rifles I own is the ctr and a t3 stainless varmint in 308. I really want to get a more suitable long rang range scope for my varmint also. Maybe a 3-15 ffp for each tikka. Keep things simple. Picking out scopes makes me sound schizophrenic...sorry
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2016 at 00:45
My ctr in 260 wears a fixed 6 SS mq. My tikka sporter in 260 is soon to be wearing a Burris xtr ii 5-25. That sporter stock is awesome....what a fit and feel. I love the ctr as well and have a super varmint in 223. Tikka rifles are priced the same as many Remington's or savages but they are in a different league.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
dennisb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2016 at 12:14
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

My ctr in 260 wears a fixed 6 SS mq. My tikka sporter in 260 is soon to be wearing a Burris xtr ii 5-25. That sporter stock is awesome....what a fit and feel. I love the ctr as well and have a super varmint in 223. Tikka rifles are priced the same as many Remington's or savages but they are in a different league.
I took a trip up to Colorado Springs to get a home defense shotgun. Came home with a ctr....
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2016 at 12:43
10 round mag a nice bonus. Mine seems to like the 123 Amax just a touch more than the 140 and the extra velocity might help with the shorter barrel at longer range. Plan to do 140 Amax only out of 24 inch tube.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2016 at 12:45
I was visiting a gun shop and fondled a Tikka LH Hunter?? maybe. Very nice rifle. Noticed the rings that came with it were lacking. 

What rings are you running on your Tikka's, RC? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic