OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS HD 5-20x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS HD 5-20x50
    Posted: March/14/2016 at 03:45
I'm seriously considering the SS HD 5-20x50 (Illuminated version) to scope my M1A Supermatch.  I simply can't afford $4000.00 for a so called "Alpha" optic.  At this point in my shooting career I'm becoming less and less convinced that ANY optic is worth $4000.00.  I know from testimonials that the SS line is among the best scopes when it comes to reliability and return to zero.  I'm sure there are some 5-20x50 users here.  I would really appreciate your assessment(s) of that scope.

Thanks

'Dood
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
notorious View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2016 at 20:39
Here is a list of the optics I own:

Vortex Razor Gen I EBR2b
Steiner Military 4-16
Steiner TX5i 5-25 (sold)
SWFA 5-20HD Illuminated
Bushnell 3.5-21 HDMR H59x2
Various others over the years

The SWFA fares well optically against the others, but falls short of the TX and Steiner Military.  It's on par with the Razor, and beats the Bushnells when mag is past 15.

The HD turrets come in 2nd to the Tx.  They are still nice and solid, but can have a hint of play between the .1 mil marks. 

The illumination is a joke compared to the Steiner illumination, but that is a tough comparison considering that the Steiners are probably the best on the market when it comes to illumination.  The Razor illumination is no slouch, though, as it impressed me quite a bit.

I won't comment on reticles since that is personal taste.

SWFA makes a very nice scope.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2016 at 23:47
The SS 5-20 is by far my best scope, and probably will be for quite some time. But I do get out to the occasional match and check out other peoples scopes, and the only one so far that makes me think it might be a better bang for the buck than SS is th Vortex GenII Razor. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic