OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good Eye Box and Eye Relief Options ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Eye Box and Eye Relief Options ?
    Posted: March/01/2016 at 21:00
After having had the opportunity to briefly own a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm scope and was amazed by the fantastic eye box and eye relief. I am interested in if there are other options with a similar eye box in a hunting scope format? This would be going on a Weatherby Accumark .270 Win cut to 22" for hunting from about 100 - 500 yds with a Dead Air suppressor.

Right now I have been looking at:
  • NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm Moar reticle
  • Leupold VX6 2-12x42mm CDS Wind Plex  reticle
  • Razor HD LH 3-15 x 42  HSR4 reticle

Would any of these be any close to the eye qualities found in the Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm? In terms of resolution are any of these better?

Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2016 at 23:24
The Leuppy and the Razor I think would come the closest to matching the eye box of the Razor 1-6 you had.  Not to say there are any flies on the Night Force - Night Force scopes are bullet proof and very repeatable/constant.  I just believe for hunting, and not tactical applications, the Leupold 2-12x42 is damned hard to beat.  My experience with Vortex Razors is very limited.  I just notice that the Vortex Razor II line tends to be heavy...in fact the Razor II 4.5-27x56 weighs in at 48.5 oz.  Uuummph!
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
envy500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2016 at 17:41
Yes, the unfortunate trade off to the superior quality on the Razor Gen II line seems to me to be the weight. I don't think that 3-18x50 FFP is light enough for my use. Between a 7.25lB rifle, a 1.25lb suppressor, ammunition and a +-1lb scope I'm right at about 9.5 lbs...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2016 at 20:30
I also have the 1-6 gen2, awesome scope, great sight picture. I have experience with Leupold but not great, and lots of experience with Nightforce, but not that scope.
In a hunting optic, my best experiences have been swaro, they are similar in that glass quality is great, image is almost bigger than the tube, and sight picture is easy to get.

For a hunter, sorry I cannot help more. Swaro is what all my stalking guns wear and I am exceedingly happy. I've never used a Luppy that comes close. On Nightforce, they are known for durability and precision/accuracy, sight picture, not so much.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
envy500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2016 at 20:54
Thank you Coolaid, I will look into Swarovoski. I just need to find a local dealer to take a look up close.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 07:55
envy, I've had the good fortune of guiding around 130 hunters over the past dozen years or so, many of which hunt all over the world.   I get to handle their optics in the field and have noticed something that is very consistent;  around 75% of those show up in camp with a Swaro binocular and Leupold scope of some sort.  Maybe it's the weight, the mounting fit, reliability (95% of these guys are "set and forget" scope guys), or a combo of both.  I have also had the good fortune of hunting big game since 1971.  Since that time I've owned and used many different brands of scopes, and still do.  What I'm getting at is this.....I have hunted with a pair of VX6's for over two years now.  The 2-12x42 you asked about in the OP is by far the most user friendly variable I've ever got behind, whether at the range or in the field, hunting.  It sits on a 7Mag of mine and has over 300 rounds through it now.  The CDS has been very accurate and repeatable out to 900 yds and everywhere in between.  Even at higher mags it is very easy to use. 

I personally do not like, nor use cluttered reticles for hunting, so I can't help with the other scopes you asked about.  Good luck, and have some fun with it. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 10:29
IMHO, for hunters I think it's probably makes more sense to spend the money on an excellent pair of binoculars that you're going to be using 75% of the time, less money on a really good rifle scope that you're going to be behind maybe 25% of the time.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 10:36
+1, Mike.

I guess I've been fortunate in my scope selections, or maybe it's due to my preference for more moderate magnification than seems to be the trend today, but I've not found very many hunting scopes topping out at 8X - 10X magnification that didn't have more than adequate eye box and eye relief for me (at least for chamberings up to around .300 Win Mag recoil level).
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 10:40
Mike and Ted, both excellent points.  
envy500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 17:01
So, for the areas I hunt binoculars aren't particularly useful to me. The reason is that the areas I hunt are either long rolling wooded valleys, high-lines, corn fields or oak woods. I generally hunt from a stand or on the ground with very little stalking. I occasionally resort to a range finder but often find that I can estimate the range using a decent reticle.

My main question was sort what would be similar to the features of Razor scope which I consider excellent, rather what is sufficient for my particular use. This is why I choose Weatherby over Remington...

To be honest I find that I literally detest a simple duplex reticle as it doesn't help me estimate the range of the animal and my hold-over if needed. My favorite style of the pack is the Nightforce MOAR but I would probably value the optical quality over the reticle style.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 19:55
1. ranging is very imprecise unless you do it often and have a known in the equation.
2. If you aren't using binos for scanning, you could be doing it much more easily.
3. I like a doping reticle, even on hunters, but don't range much with the reticle any more, too much error. Inside 300, no problem, beyond 500, small errors means misses.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 20:50
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$449.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 23:13

Originally posted by envy500 envy500 wrote:

So, for the areas I hunt binoculars aren't particularly useful to me. The reason is that the areas I hunt are either long rolling wooded valleys, high-lines, corn fields or oak woods. I generally hunt from a stand or on the ground with very little stalking. I occasionally resort to a range finder but often find that I can estimate the range using a decent reticle.

My main question was sort what would be similar to the features of Razor scope which I consider excellent, rather what is sufficient for my particular use. This is why I choose Weatherby over Remington...

To be honest I find that I literally detest a simple duplex reticle as it doesn't help me estimate the range of the animal and my hold-over if needed. My favorite style of the pack is the Nightforce MOAR but I would probably value the optical quality over the reticle style.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

For the combo you're looking for (MOA based holdover reticle, great glass, long eye relief, and very forgiving eye box) take a look at a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 or 3.5-14x42.  That reticle will do everything you want, the glass is on par with the Swaros, 4" of eye relief, and the eye box is second only to the Leupold VX6.  It's a great hunting scope.

rwa3006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwa3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 23:45
+2  on the 6x42 Leupold.  I'm also crazy over the 6x42SS scopes.  A lot of guys are discovering the straight six is a marvel of simplicity and performance.  
davisj3537 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davisj3537 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 10:20

Yes, the unfortunate trade off to the superior quality on the Razor Gen II line seems to me to be the weight. I don't think that 3-18x50 FFP is light enough for my use. Between a 7.25lB rifle, a 1.25lb suppressor, ammunition and a +-1lb scope I'm right at about 9.5 lbs...
You must do a lot of walking/hiking when hunting. I've got a buddy with a 14lb rifle, but as you can imagine he is a stand hunter.
envy500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 12:05
No I'm just a lightweight, we walk into our regular hunting stand for deer season. The hard part isn't so much getting in as it is dragging anything out. For that reason I'm not really into using a bench rifle for hunting. I have an Ruger RPR setup with a Burris Eliminator 3 for that. 14 LBS sounds like a little overkill for sitting in stand maybe making one or two shots.

Had a chance to see all three of these scopes at Cabelas today. Opinion is that the Swarovski has the best eye relief for me personally. I like the build quality on the Leupold better than the other two. The reticle on the Nightforce SHV is my favorite, but I found myself trying to adjust dummy cradle to get the right eye position due to the parallax.

Was browsing the Gun Library and saw a Weatherby Deluxe in 300 WBY Magnum that had an old Weatherby Variable 2-9x scope on it and the elevation and windage turrets were both on the top of the scope. Looked like a 1" tube. It was really neat to compare that older technology to the new.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 22:12
Nightforce SHV 4X14X50 F1 w/ MOAR. FFP optic, exposed elevation turret, capped windage, center only illumination. Good glass, NF quality.
davisj3537 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davisj3537 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 23:17

14 LBS sounds like a little overkill for sitting in stand maybe making one or two shots.
I totally agree with you. Some people just like to overdo it I guess. I do lean a little that way, but not nearly that far.

I am assuming correctly you decided on the swaro?
envy500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote envy500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 00:47
Close, I acquired a pre-order for the Vortex Razor HD LD for $550 through a special discount with a dealer. But yes I'm also trying to decide between purchasing a Swarvoski Z3 or the Nightforce SHV...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic