OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tbone rating scale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tbone rating scale
    Posted: August/10/2006 at 15:30

Has there been any updates to Tbone's rating scale?  Looks like those Conquests you just put out there on The Sample List rate pretty high with Tbone!

take em!
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 03:05

I think it's still about the same. I haven't heard of much changing in the world of rifle scopes. If I fell asleep and missed something, someone please bring me up to date.

I still think that post should have been a sticky. Still find myself hunting it down to see where a line of scopes fit in the scheme of things.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 14:05
Tbone Rating Scale taken from the original thread (taken from Chris's post, I think):

10 - Zeiss VM/V, Swarovski PH, Schmidt & Bender

9  - Swarovski PH, Swarovski A-Line, Schmidt & Bender

8  - Swarovski A-Line, Kahles, IOR

7  - Zeiss Conquest, Kahles, Elite 4200, IOR, Leupold LPS

6  - Leupold VX III, Weaver Grand Slam, Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Burris Euro & Black Diamond,

5  - Leupold Vari-X III, Weaver Grand Slam, Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature Select

4  - Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200, Simmons AETEC, Leupold VX-II, Nikon Buckmaster

3  - Simmons, Redfield, Rifleman, Leupold VX-I, Nikon Buckmaster

2  - Simmons, BSA, Tasco

1  - BSA, Tasco

Here is my take on it with some minor additions and alterations that reflect my personal pont of view:

10 - Zeiss VM/V, Swarovski PH, Schmidt & Bender, US Optics

9  - Swarovski PH, Swarovski A-Line, Schmidt & Bender

8  - Swarovski A-Line, Kahles, IOR (35mm line)

7  - Zeiss Conquest, Kahles, Elite 4200, IOR (30mm line), Leupold LPS, Burris Black Diamond, Meopta Meostar

6  - Leupy VX III, Weaver GS, Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Burris SigSelect, Burris Euro & Black Diamond, SIghtron S2/S3,                         Trijicon Accupoint

5  - Weaver GS, Nikon Monarch, Sightron S2, Mueller Tac II, Millet TRS

4  - Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200, Simmons AETEC, Leupold VX-II, Nikon Buckmaster, Millet TRS/Gold, Mueller

3  - Simmons, Redfield, Rifleman, Leupold VX-I, Mueller, Elite 3200, Leupoldd VX-II, Swift Premier, Weaver V-series

2  - Simmons, BSA, Tasco

1  - BSA, Tasco

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 15:12

The MWBone ratings scale from scopes I have actually bought and used

10.  Kahles CL

9.  Swarovski A-Line

8.  Leupold VX L

7.5  Leupold FX III

7.  Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX III, Burris Black Diamond,

6.  Burris Signature

5.  Burris Euro Diamond, Nikon Monarch

4.  Burris FF II

3.  Some Kind of Simmons; don't remember which

2 & 1   Never bought a BSA or Tasco

The Kahles CL, a 3-9X42 is significantly better than the Swaro 3-9X36 and cost less when I bought it.  I'm anxious to try one of the new 2-7X36 CL's.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 18:39
ok....can you shed some light on the sample list......why are there so many Conquest's (and others) that have been "factory refurb'd"   were there problems with them?  That seems like a lot of problems....if they didn't have problems, why were they refurbished?  Why would you return a good scope?  Can't figure it out.
take em!
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 18:42

The Zeiss Conquest has not proven to be a durable scope with many failure reports contributed to its name.

I would say pass on the Zeiss Conquest and go with Kahles.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 20:34
I'm surprised that the Leupy VX-L was so far ahead of a Zeiss Conquest on the MWBone scale.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 20:41
Yeah, that was a little bit surprising.  I've spent very little time with VX-L, so I am not entirely sure where it fits.  To me, it seemed a little better than VX-III, so I'd be inclined to place it as about equal to Elite 4200, LPS, Black Diamond, etc.

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2006 at 21:30

The VX L was not so far ahead.  I just put the FX III in at 7.5.  I could have put the FX III and the VX L at the same level.  I actually think the image quality of the FX III (6X) might be a bit better than the VX L; there are advantages both ways.  Actually, I could be happy with anything ranked 6-10, and if I'd ever used an Elite 4200 or a Weaver Grand Slam, they'd probably rank in there, too.  I didn't see any great differences until I got to the Kahles CL, which is a good step above everything else I've had.  The Burris FF II, Euro Diamond and  Nikon Mornarch are a step below. 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2006 at 08:30

You would have needed a new ranking for the 4200, 10.5!!!

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2006 at 11:48
Just my opinion , but my eyes tell me that the Kahles CL in both 50mm & 52mm objective (don't know about the 42mm) qualifies just under Zeiss VM/V, S&B, and US Optics.  Based on my experience, I believe the CL is just a tad better than both the Swaro PH and AH lines with regard to brightness and equal from a clarity standpoint.  When you look at the CL from a cost & value standpoint, there isn't a better scope out there!  It totally boggles my mind that folks continue to spend $1,000+ for a Leupold VX-L or FX III when they can get a CL for LESS and get a vastly superior product.  I guess different strokes for different folks...
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 22:33

Kahles is a sleeper scope, most people have nver heard of them......even though they have been making scopes since 1898.

Read their history here

Okiecocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiecocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 02:29
Chris,

Have you noticed that the Kahles just don't have that "pop" to them, in terms of the brightness of most of the other big name scopes... at least during the day? Almost as if they have a tint, the binoculars are the same way too... Or is it just my eyes? Now   in low light, it's a whole other ball game as these things are Bright as can be.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 07:28

My 2 Cents -

my buddie just purchased a 56mm Kahles, 30mm tube, the other day - not sure what model.

but it is brighter than any zeiss or swaro i have ever looked through.  Not much difference in the daytime though, IMO.

it WAS around 1300 bucks, but DAMN is it a fine riflescope - worth a mention.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 07:51
I agree with Finn.  And would add the Sightron SII.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 10:02

Originally posted by Okiecocker Okiecocker wrote:

Chris,

Have you noticed that the Kahles just don't have that "pop" to them, in terms of the brightness of most of the other big name scopes... at least during the day? Almost as if they have a tint, the binoculars are the same way too... Or is it just my eyes? Now   in low light, it's a whole other ball game as these things are Bright as can be.

Are you using their latest model?  The ones I use are noticeably better day or night.

Okiecocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiecocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 10:15
Yep, it's a brand new CL 4-12x52 MZ.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 10:21

Everyones eye's are different, could have to do with how each of them was focused to your eye, etc.  If you would like to continue discussing it,  start a new thread so we don't continue to hi-jack this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic