OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9pt hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rifle scope
    Posted: March/01/2016 at 05:43
Hi, I would like to buy a Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 Reticle 6. I have read a review stating that there's a lot of color fringing at 5x mag and up,and a lot of shadows and fuzziness. Do anyone knows if this is true?I wasn't able to find any other reviews on it. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2016 at 08:08
Welcome to OT, 9pt!

I have that exact scope, except mine has the illuminated reticle #60. I haven't noticed the color fringing and fuzziness, and don't know what is meant by "shadows." What I can tell you is that it has very good resolution and light transmission. I haven't compared it head to head against other high end scopes yet, but so far I'm impressed.

Can you post a link to the review you're referring to?

Thanks!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
9pt hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9pt hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2016 at 12:38
OK, Thanks! I found the review on the scope on Amazon and the same review on the same scope on bass pro shop website. Don't know who or what it is, trying to get info. on it before I purchase it. It's good to know that you don't have that problem.   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2016 at 12:47
If the weather cooperates, I'll make a point to try to induce CA with it in harsh, high contrast lighting conditions this weekend and report back with my findings. I'm pretty sensitive to CA, so if it were a very significant problem, I would have likely noticed it by now, but I've only owned this scope for a couple weeks.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2016 at 13:25

" Maybe we should get a Weaver! "  

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 16:33
9 point --
I was at the range today with the Zeiss HT 2.5-10X50 - equipped rifle. It was bright and sunny, and I intentionally tried to get the scope to show color fringing (chromatic aberration) by looking at dark objects silhouetted against the bright sky, and looked at the edge of the dark target back stop posts against the white target back stop. I didn't see any CA in the center of the field, but when I moved the same high contrast objects to the edge of the field of view, I did see some yellow CA. This isn't abnormal, and I'm not all that concerned with aberrations along the field edge if it delivers good resolution in the center field "sweet spot." The HT has great optics overall.

Hope this helps.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 17:31
Ted, how does it(HT) compare against the Diavari?  I have the Victory Diavari 2.5-10, I've not noticed any fringing at all, but my wife took that scope away from me… I've not used it a lot.  I thought I remembered you have both...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
9pt hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9pt hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 19:04
Thanks for the info.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 19:26
Optics Talk. 

Hands on, objective and friendly advise. Folks like Rifledude, Kickboxer, Supertool, and MANY MANY more giving real world experience...Bringing it since '04. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2016 at 23:14
Yes, I do also have the Diavari 2.5-10X50, so a comparison to the HT 2.5-10X50 would make a very interesting eval. Since they are exactly the same config, objective diameter and all, that would be as "apples to apples" as it gets.

I haven't had the HT long enough to compare head to head with the Diavari, but I will try to get out to the range and do exactly that tomorrow. I have my initial impressions of how these 2 scopes compare, but since I've not done a direct comparison yet, I will reserve judgment until I've had a chance to put them side by side...which has now become my plan for tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned.

Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 14:54
Thank you.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 15:39

In Eduardo's case, it's  1904..."  

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2016 at 21:48
Sorry for the delay in answering your question, Dan.

Here you go...

Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2016 at 05:26
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, Dan.

Here you go...

Ted, excellent comparison.  I appreciate the time.  Zeiss advertised >90% light transmission for the Victory Diavari with T* coatings and I read an article by a Zeiss optical engineer stating that they had reached the approximate maximum for light transmission.  I wonder what they did to make the improvement. 

Gotta love technology...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2016 at 08:42
Zeiss claims it's due to the glass used itself, which Schott calls their "HT" ("high transmission") glass formulation. They still use the same T* coatings as always, along with "LotuTec." They claim the new HT glass is more efficient in transmitting light (lower reflected loss), and they also claim 95% transmission. 
http://www.schott.com/advanced_optics/english/products/optical-materials/optical-glass/ht-and-htultra/index.html
I don't put much stock in transmission % claims from optics companies, because there are several caveats that don't tell the whole story, typical of marketing jargon in general. Nevertheless, I did notice an improvement in low light performance, so I guess the 5% improvement claim is believable to me. I don't think less than 5% difference is noticeable. I do believe we're reaching the point where there's not much more that can be done to improve passive light transmission in conventional optics.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic