OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300Blk pistol optic recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300Blk pistol optic recommendation
    Posted: February/18/2016 at 09:45

I'm in the process of collecting all the parts for a hunting build. going to be an ar pistol in 300blk with a suppressor.  Dedicated woods hunting gun, short range. 5-50 yards is pretty realistic. I have most the pieces either in possession or on backorder.  Only major parts to order is handguards, barrel(going to be seekins 10.5), and optic. Since it’s a pistol and not and SBR  I don’t think I want a scope, but a red dot. That way I won’t have to deal with eye relief. Also  I don’t think I want to spend more than 3-400 for optic and a QD mount. Now instantly your thinking Aimpoint Pro, and that was my first choice, but it comes only with a absolutely co-witness sight. I plan on running DD fixed front and rear sights, nothing to flip up just move head and fire in case optic goes down for whatever reason. So I’d prefer a lower1/3 co-witness. If I could afford it I’d go with an MRO, but that’s out of my price range. Right now top choice is vortex strikefire II, any recommendations?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 09:52
The holosun red dot is pretty good and only $200ish.  The Vortex Spark2 is also pretty nice.  The holosun is much smaller, pretty much the same size as the Aimpoint micro. 

On the holosun the dot does not get as bright as the T2 aimpoint, but it is bright enough even in the bright snow.  Also the holosun battery is supposed to last 5 years where the Vortex is 500 hours or something like that.  I have not had my holosun long enough to know how durable it will be.  But I have mine on a similar setup as you.

They also sell it under the Primary arms brand and leatherwood brand. 

You ought to consider the seekins 8" barrel though.  No need for the 10.5 for the 300 subs, it will keep things shorter and lighter. 

Edited by supertool73 - February/18/2016 at 09:57
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:20

well I dont plan on running subs for deer/pig hunting. looking at the barnes 110 for hunting. subs would just be for plinking or shooting a groundhog or something. Yea, I've ben between the 8 & 10" barrels, i figured few fps difference might help on game.

A co worker  had a primary arms red dot, not sure which one but it was supposed to have near aimpoint battery life. It  came dead in the box. I dont mean dead battery i mean, just dead. I know lemons happen, but makes me a little skiddish. I did watch a sage dyamnics video on the leatherwood high lux reddot, which looks just veyr similar to the one you have. he gave it a pretty good review.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:28
Gotcha on the barrel length.  I just assumed subs. 

The Leatherwood hi lux, Primary Arms advanced micro, and holosun 403g are all the exact same unit.  They are all made by Holosun, they just OEM for Leatherwood and Primary arms. 

I wouldn't discount the whole line because of one dead one.  I am sure there have been more as well.  I have read reviews of the spark2 being dead on arrival too.  That's the downside to electronic sights for sure.  They are $200 red dots so we can't expect to much I guess. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:37
yea. I dont expect Aimpoint performance at $200, 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:40

this is the one i seen a review on, seemed pretty decent for 200

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1x20-Micro-Max-Sight-P77601.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqqqZc3gcw

Is this the one you have, or  different one?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:43
Yes, that is the same one as the Primary Arms advanced and the Holosun 403g.  I have the holosun 403g. 

From what I have read Holosun has great CS.  So if it breaks they will replace it.  Leatherwood does as well. 

Problem with most of the reviews I have read, is everyone ravs about them, but there is not many reviews where people have actually used them hard.  So I just don't know how it will hold up.

I have read a few reivews of the Sparc 2 being used hard.  So I bought both to try out and see how they hold up.  I figured for $200 with easy replacement if it breaks why not try it out. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:57
Yea, i'm a huge Vortex fan, i have a razor II and one of their range finders.  The CS  just makes buying from them easy. That was one of the reason i was looking that strikefire, Vortex CS, plus slightly larger tube, thought that might make it a little easier to use ona  pistol, and it will use the same qd mounts as the tube mounted aimpoints

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:01
The shorter the barrel, the louder the gun, especially with supersonic rounds, just FYI.

I'd look at Burris fastfire or similar also, quick on target, smaller and lighter on a pistol AR.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:19

Yea, the fast fire looks really nice. I like the tubeless and very light weight. Rmr type.
did some looking. vortex makes one too.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-3-moa-dot and they make a qd mount, dunno how good it is, http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/red-dot-mount-riser-qr

Trij RMR be good but thats out of my price . I think i'll look more into the Burris Fastfire or the Vortex Venom.

This is my first 300blk, and my first upper that I'm actually going to assemble.  Got the Aero M4e1 enhanced upper,  Looks like it will be pretty easy to put together.  I'm really excited.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:33
The Burris one for an AR has the nice sides for protection.  http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-F3-Flattop-FastFire-Sight-P61549.aspx

ARs are easy to build and fun.  Just make sure you get the specialized tools or they are a pain.  Have fun. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:40
what kind of battery life does the Burris have, few hundred, few thousand hours?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 15:20
Burris says thousands, plan for hundreds. The nice thing about an AR is that room in the grip to store stuff, like additional batteries. And the fastfire does not require dismount to replace batteries, as the RMR does.  I haven't used a venom yet, but probably will soon.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2016 at 09:19

not 100% sure, but i'm like 90% the fastfire iii with 1/3ADM mount is going to be my choice.
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2016 at 09:55
I have a few, I like them, no issues thus far.  You do sometimes have to cycle through settings to get to the dot brightness you like - but that is a minor thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic