OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best reflex red dot type sight for the $

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best reflex red dot type sight for the $
    Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:09
Last accessory for my AR is reflex red dot that will be mounted on a 45 degree offset behind the scope. Don't know much about them. What's my best option without breaking the bank.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:13
Burris Fastfire 3.  I have a few and like them.  I have seen a few Vortex, venom I think, but never run one.

What scope, what offset mount?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:17
BG, your going have to be a tad more "pacific" when you say "break the bank". 
That term varies from member to member. That may mean $100 to one member and $1500 to another. 

We even have some members that claim they have an "illness" to justify their shameless spending habits on gear to their significant others....and at times...their selves.  Wink  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:32
As posted in another post I have a 16" BCM with 410ss barrel. I went with a Lepould VXR Patrol 3-9x40 with a Bobro extended mount for the precision side of things. I'm going to mount a reflex type on some sort of a 45 degree mount for fast close quarter shooting. I like the Vortex 45 mount style or maybe something that can mount to the KMR rail? I guess not breaking the bank would be something in the mid range $200-$300 ish?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:45

Not reflex type sight....but it was OK. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 13:47

Was picturing something like this........ Open to ideas though.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:07
Right. 

Sorry...I'm an attention floozy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:13
I have a setup similar to that last one (vortex optics.)  I like the aimpoint but always fear it'll snag on something, I prefer my stuff a bit tighter to the gun.

I will pull mine out of the safe if a picture is warranted, but mine is a Burris Fastfire 3 on a pic base with a Trijicon 45 degree offset.  

In your budget, I'd say Vortex or Burris.  Trijicon RMR is a good option in the dual illum, I would avoid their LED variants for now, they seem to fail often and at really bad times. They are also a bit out of your stated price range.  

Another option is open sites on the offset.  Dots take time to turn on, and close quarters stuff usually happens fast. And close!

If it is a play gun, no problem; if a patrol gun or real world gun, fast and close don't lend themselves well to "let me hit a button to turn on my optic. Damn, the battery is dead, just a minute please. So how about this weather?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:33
Awesome post, RC. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:51
This is just a play gun that will get used for plinking and coyote hunting.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:57
+1 on the Fast Fire III that has functional upgrades over the original and FF II versions.  I run an FF II in a 45 degree offset mount on one of my ARs.  I have used it for about 4 years on various weapons including a 12 guage shotgun and .45/70 Marlin SBL with no issues and total reliability.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:58
Then by all means, red dot on 45 degree offset.

I'd say fastfire or venom, whichever you can get the better deal on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The employment of this confuses me a bit.  It is a lefty gun with a righty-setup dot, yes?  You roll the rifle counterclock to use or you just come up off the scope and find the dot?

I have one mounted lefty and one mounted righty based on how I carry each gun, I haven't tried shooting lefty with a right-side optic. Do you use weak eye or strong?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 16:19

What is the difference between a mid priced unit like a Fast Fire 3 or Venom 3 and say a Lepould Delta Point Pro or one of the Trijicon models? Is it just quality/durability or are the more expensive ones built differently so they are easier/better to shoot with?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 16:49
Most people do a secondary sight as you mentioned, RC.  

I've found that all I have to do is close my left eye, adjust my head VERY slightly and look through the Aimpoint with my right eye. Works pretty well, though I know "tactically" closing one eye isn't ideal in a gun fight. 
Good catch!     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 18:57
If you are gun fighting up close with a bolt gun, there are other issues to be concerned with!

On the differences, it comes down to details usually.  Whether there are clicks or no clicks on the adjustments, whether the there is a drain hole in the site (in case it gets rained on), little things.  I run fastfire and RMR and both function well.  I hate that I have to cycle the fastfire to the desired setting, when some remember their last setting, but I deal with it.

The key differences are more "life and death", as a thing to go on a gun that will be used for playing, get the one for the budget and you'll be happy.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 19:11
BGB, the primary difference between the lower and higher priced units is durability under rough service such as would apply in military and professionals environments vs. how sportsmen use them.  This applies to the electronics as well as physical construction of the units.  Stick with a known brand and the lower priced units should serve you well unless, of course, the nagging voice in your head tells you you need the very best.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 20:24
Last question. Any difference in function between a venom/fast fire type red dot and an aim point style?
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 21:47
The higher priced units generally have settings for night vision devices, the EOTech reticles are unique among red dot sights and, regardless of price point some brands have automatic dot intensity based on ambient light but most are manual allowing the user to choose dot intensity.  One neat feature of the Delta Point and Aimpoint PRO (possibly other Aimpoint models as well as other brands) is the motion sensor that lights the dot when the weapon moves.  They can be left in the switched on position 24/7 without burning up batteries but the dot lights when the weapon is moved-ready to go without using having to turn them on manually.  If you like the looks of the Aimpoint T-1/2 and H-1 style sights less costly options are the Vortex SPARC 2 or the new digital model from Hi-Lux Leathwood.  Some have long battery lives such as the 50,000 hours claimed by Aimpoint while others use batteries faster so carrying spare batteris is always wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic