OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First AR optic advice. Acog, scope, red dot???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2016 at 19:25
The 3x acog has extremely easy eye relief. You can move up close or be back a good 5 inches and still see through it fine. Its my favorite because of that.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2016 at 19:41
How does the Sig Tango4 line stack up against the VXR line. Looking at the 3-12x42 vs the VXR 4-12x40. Like the sig reticle better and the bigger mag range but like the lighter weight and shorter overall length of the leupold. Hate the fact the sig scope is "graphite" color and not black.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2016 at 12:31
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 08:52
Well after all that I ended up just going with the VXR 3-9 patrol. I will just put it on a qd mount so I can shoot my backup irons if I'm just plinking at short range
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 09:23
Good scope. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rifleshooter474 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifleshooter474 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 14:10
I have a 3.5x35 TA-11F BAC Trijicon ACOG, have used it on both my ARs and FN SCAR 16s,it's a great sight eazy to zero and is solid as a military tank. The Tritium internal lighting element after 10 years died but i don't shoot in the dark. But plan on sending it in for replacement.

I bought mine from COMPETITOR back in 2007 there trusted people IMHO.COMPETITOR POST.

You need to READ and FOLLOW the rules you are required to acknowledge when you become a member of the Optics Talk Forum.

Edited by Kickboxer - March/06/2016 at 15:25
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 14:18
How much to replace the tritium?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifleshooter474 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 15:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

How much to replace the tritium?
Good question am going to call them soon, but when you buy a optic that runs around $1,400 US it really does not matter the what the cost is to replace it. 
As i said if you don't shoot in the dark it's not an important item in the daylight the fiber on top of ACOG put a lot of light on the  reticle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 16:31
I use a compact ACOG with red crosshair mine is 3x with very short eye relief on a La Rue RCO mount which brings it all the way back.  I love this scope it is light fast and deadly.  Most of the time my shots are 300 yds and less on coyotes by they move pretty fast and higher magnification is not your friend getting on target unless they stop.   I also have a 1-4 on another rifle and would love to have the 1-6.  I believe you will find you use the lower powers more than you expect to.

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/1566/RCO_MOUNT_2.JPG
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA47C400151
  • Matte
  • Red Crosshair
  • Carry Handle Screw and Washer Set
  • Compact Acog Scopecoat
  • Lenspen
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • Acog Manual
  • Warranty Card
$1,093.00

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/06/2016 at 16:38

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 16:32
Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$935.00
Trijicon 1-6x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope Trijicon 1-6x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR25C200090
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle Post
  • 30mm
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • Lenspen
  • Set of Lenscaps
  • AccuPoint Manual
  • Warranty Card
$1,190.00

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 16:43
I think this is also a very good choice for a hunting scope as the hold over points will always be consistent where a 2nd focal plane scope with BDC is ment for the highest magnification.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$449.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifleshooter474 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 18:02
Originally posted by rifleshooter474 rifleshooter474 wrote:

I have a 3.5x35 TA-11F BAC Trijicon ACOG, have used it on both my ARs and FN SCAR 16s,it's a great sight eazy to zero and is solid as a military tank. The Tritium internal lighting element after 10 years died but i don't shoot in the dark. But plan on sending it in for replacement.

I bought mine from COMPETITOR back in 2007 there trusted people IMHO.COMPETITOR POST.

You need to READ and FOLLOW the rules you are required to acknowledge when you become a member of the Optics Talk Forum.

I must have missed that rule.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 18:17
It happens sometimes. Good shooting. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dtex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2016 at 16:54
I have a 1.25-4 VX-R Patrol on my DDM4 and a TA55A 5.5x w/ .308 BDC on my custom AR10.  I love both scopes, but like them for different reasons.  I dont think you can go wrong with either.  I like that the VXR has variable power for my M4 since it is both a home defense gun, as well as a hunting rifle.  As for the 5.5x fixed ACOG, i primarily use my AR10 for hog hunting at that magnification is perfect for shots out to and even past 100yds for me.  The glass on the ACOG is unbelievable, although with the 50mm lens, it does look a little unbalanced on the rifle.  Either way, i would recommend both the VXR Patrol and the ACOG, but if you arent looking to use the gun for anything closer qtrs, like home defense, then I say go with an ACOG.  you can get a 4x32 which will be plenty for 100yd-200yd shots on life size targets, depending on what youre comfortable with.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic