OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

a couple oddball scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearschlayerx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a couple oddball scopes
    Posted: February/02/2016 at 21:51
hey all haven't been on here in a while. I recently came into a couple scopes I know nothing about.
1). NRA Sports optics 3.5-10x50. Came mounted on a Ted Williams model 53 (winchester model 70) chmbered in 270. It has some sort of bullet drop compensating duplex reticle. From what I was able to find on Google these were made by Brunton, which I have no experience with either. Seems like a half decent scope but am wondering if anyone has any personal eperience with them. This rifle is going to the smith to be rebarrelled into a 338 win magnum. So if you guys think it will hold up to the recoil it may just stay on there for a bit till i save up to upgrade to something better.
2). Nichols Bullet model 3-9x40. has a tv view kinda like the old Redfields could be had with. Again seems like a half decent scope but have never heard of them. It came mounted on a marlin 22 that was part of the same deal as the combo listed above. Would this hold up better temporarily on a 338 than the other one?
Thanks for any info/advice. Don
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!
bearschlayerx2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearschlayerx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 19:04
hmmm.....nobody ever heard of these?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2016 at 19:20
yes.  The NRA scope came out several years ago.  Somebody made them and stuck NRA on them.  Nichols scopes can be found in the old days and in the British Commonwealth places I think....  
Visit the Ed Show
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2016 at 02:28
I think the Sears M53 may be an imported Mauser sporter. Very decent piece.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2016 at 07:17
Nichols scopes were manufactured in Japan for Guns Unlimited in Nebraska.  I know of 4 different lines that were produced; Bullet, Classic, Grand Slam and Light.  The quality increased in that same order.  I have no experience with the Bullets.  The Classics IMO were about like or a little better than the early Japan Simmons scopes.  The Grand Slam and Light were pretty good optics for the price.  I had a Light 2-7x32 that I sold and wish I had kept.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
bearschlayerx2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearschlayerx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2016 at 20:28
well it lookslike the nra sportsoptics scope will be a non issue. Dropped the rifle and barrel off at the gunsmith today. Also stopped at the gunshop where I originally got the rifle and he had a nice used Leupold vari x11 hanging on the wall he just got in on Saturday. So it is now on layaway to go on the 338.
The Nichols scope is a Bullet model. Its just going to stay on the 22 where its at...at least for the foreseeable future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic