OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best glass on a $ 500 budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOATBUM101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best glass on a $ 500 budget
    Posted: February/02/2016 at 12:34
Am not familiar with all the new offerings available . I want something clear with repeatable settings . Use will be some hunting & mostly daylight target shooting @ 200yds . Gun is a sporterized '03 Springfield 30-06 . Recoil isn't an issue as I only shoot cast 210gr @ 1800-1900fps . Scopes I've got on my other rifles are:
Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 MC - has given great service & am very happy with it .
Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X50 - what can one say it fills the need .
Kahles AH 3-9X42- in my mind equal to the above Conquest also very happy with this one . 
Bushnell 3-9X40 Elite 4200 - happy with this one eye relief not as good as the Conquest or Kahles .
Kahles C 1.5-6X42L - my brightest hunting scope w/ German #4 reticle . Very nice in deep woods low light & has held up well on a serious kicker . 
 So what would you gents think would be my best bet . I'm quite flexible on reticles & am not worried about brightness , my main concern is optical clarity .
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 16:01
I might recommend a Leupold VX-R in that price range, but since the majority of your shooting is target and your wanting good optical clarity, maybe one of the Meopta offerings? 

You already have an impressive collection of scopes and I'm just not sure the VX-R would make the cut.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BOATBUM101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOATBUM101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 14:41
Leupold has so many different lines these days & i'm not sure which are good for their price range & which are best left alone . Meopta seems to be quite popular here , but most I've seen are outside my budget . Sounds like time to check the sample list . Thanks for your advisement .
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 14:56
Since you already are familiar with the sample list I would start there.  There are several Vortex Viper HS scopes there that are in your price range.  Mine has been great - I have the 4-16x44.  It's close to the conquest 3-9x40 in terms of optical quality, and better than the new Zeiss Terras IMO.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 15:06
Originally posted by BOATBUM101 BOATBUM101 wrote:

Leupold has so many different lines these days & i'm not sure which are good for their price range & which are best left alone . Meopta seems to be quite popular here , but most I've seen are outside my budget . Sounds like time to check the sample list . Thanks for your advisement .

There's some great deals on there now. I was perusing over there yesterday. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 15:43
Sightron also has some nice models.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 16:20
If you are shooting out to 200 yards, you need for the scope to hold zero, but external target style turrets are not necessary.

Your best bet in this price range is one of the Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 offerings.

If you do want adjustable turrets, your best bet is one of SWFA's SS 3-9x42 scopes and there are a couple on the Sample list for $500.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 17:18
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

What's this?!?! The Dark Lord and I agree!!  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2016 at 22:04
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

What's this?!?! The Dark Lord and I agree!!  

I've told Ted that eventually you'll come around, but he flatly denied such possibility. I wonder what he is thinking now...

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic