OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is it my eyes?...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 14:42
Originally posted by Zero Zero wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The inserts should not be sticking out.  Generally, the white stuff is the backing for the adhesive black liner, which should be aligned on the inside of the rings.  The white stuff is discarded and there should not be anything visible outside the rings.

I am generally not a huge fan of Angle-lok rings.  They work allright, but are natively harder to install correctly due to the windage adjustment feature.  Make sure you tighten them evenly and do not over tighten.  Make sure you do not bind the scope and do not overtighten the rings.  Generally, unless you need to compensate for misaligned receiver holes on a dual base rifle, I do not recommend MIllett's Angle-lok rings.  More than half of the people I see usignng them, set them up incorrectly.

The optical effect you were describing with the scope is is usually an artefact of improper head position.  More than likely, you were too close to the scope.  The eye relief on this scope is about twice that of the ACOG, so you have to make sure you mount it far enough forward.  

Once you get the scope mounting and positioning right, you have to make sure you've got the eyepiece set-up correctly.  For that set the parallax to infinity (side focus knob on the left of the turret box) and look at something featureless, like the blue sky or an wall five feet away which will be blurry and featureless.

Then use the eyepiece focus to make the reticle as sharp as possible.  Basically what you want to do is screw the eyepiece focus out a bit and glance through the scope.  The reticle should be immediately sharp.  If it starts out a touch blurry and then gets into focus, look away at something distant, turn the eyepiece focus in just a touch and gland through the scope again.  Keep doing this until you've got the reticle as sharp as possible immediately upon glancing through the scope.  Use a piece of tape or a marker to identify the correct eyepiece focus setting.  It is different for different people, so your friend will need a different setting than you do.

Once all that is done, go back and shoot your groups.  Before shooting and without touching the eyepiece focus, make sure that all parallax is dialed out of the scope using the side focus.

This, this is what I was looking for right here. That is awesome advice and things I don't know about and yes like the previous poster said, I am having a lot of neck strain. My eyes are pretty close to the scope so I will readjust the scope then follow what you said. Thank you so much for the advice everyone. The more the merrier.

A few years ago, I wrote a lengthy article called Fundamentals of Riflescopes.  Most of it is not very useful for you, but skim through it.  You might pick a few useful things out of it:

ILya
Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2016 at 22:52
Koshkin, any information regardless of how remote it may be for me, is still useful lol. All of you guys are pretty awesome.
I think I'm suppose to put something clever and witty here..
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 06:27
At your service SirBow
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2016 at 20:34
Alright so an update for everyone. I removed the barrel rail mount and replaced the guard with a brown one I had laying around. I then removed the scope, took the white backing off of the strips for the scope rings and reapplied them to said rings. 

After that I put the rifle into  a level and got the scope set back in. Once the scope was loosely clamped, I sat parallax to infinity, got prone and starting sliding the scope back and forth until i found no black ring and no haze/blur, doing what koshkin suggested about getting the reticle as crisp as i could get it.

After adjusting the scope position (which turned out to be almost where I had it, just slightly forward) i started messing with the focus to get it dialed in. Then for final adjustments I started raising/lowering the cheek weld till I found a position that was comfortable and I was able to take my cheek off the rest and back onto it without a lot of adjustment. 

Finally, I went outside put the rifle on the ground and got into prone to take a look. Would ya know it? the picture has cleared up a lot and I am no longer getting blue/green haze or the "clear bubble" dancing around. Everything so far looks good. I do get a slight white haze but a minor adjustment to my cheek fixes it.

It was raining today so tomorrow I will take it outside, shoot it a lot just to see if anything rattles loose, then re-tighten if needed and try to sight the scope back in! *fingers crossed!*
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 11:43
Thanks for the update.

I am glad it is looking better.

The Viper is a very respectable scope, so once you get everything properly adjusted and set up, it will serve you well.

Thanks
ILya
Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 14:28
Well it's still raining in Georgia, looks like it won't be till tomorrow lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic