OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Thumper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmo1754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Thumper
    Posted: January/28/2016 at 07:14
Looking for scope around 500 and under to put  on a 375 HH  10x and under.  What would you guys recommend
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 08:38
Shooting at what target? At what distance? In what conditions?

My 375 wears open sights, if I did scope it, it'd be a 1-4 or 1-6.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 09:16
I have a Leupy VX3 1.75-6x on my 9.3x62.  It works well.  A 1-4x would probably be my second choice (over the 1-6x based purely on cost).
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
jmo1754 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmo1754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 09:56
Africa Alaska and Colorado 300 yards and in large game
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 10:21
I would suggest a straight 4X. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 13:51
Big gun?  A friend hunted Africa recently with his 375 and my SS 1-4, he loved it.  Were I scoping my 375, it would be with a 1-4 or even a red dot.  A 2 MOA dot at 300 yards covers 6 inches of target, which is well inside vitals.
jmo1754 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmo1754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 17:44
Rem 700, total weight around 8 pounds. 
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 03:23
If it were me I’d look at a 1.5-6, 2-7 or 3-9x.

If I could find one a 2-8x42 Zeiss Duralyt might be a good option.

KR,

Scrummy

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 04:32
I have an Aimpoint Hunter on my CZ550 375 H&H zeroed to 250 yards with 270gr soft point at approximately 2690 fps.  Good combination.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 06:34
I went with a Leica 2.5-10X.  It wasn't being used as a DGR, so not having a 1X or 1.5X wasn't a requirement for me.

Friend is using an Aimpoint 9000 with a lot of hunting in the brush and snap shooting required.  Elk he got last year he took at 255 yards with that red dot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 09:45
Red dot is fast!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 13:48
How does the Aimpoint 9000 differ from say a Aimpoint Micro or even a Comp M series Aimpoint in application?  

I mean, is there an advantage to having a longer tube on a hunting rig?    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

How does the Aimpoint 9000 differ from say a Aimpoint Micro or even a Comp M series Aimpoint in application?  

I mean, is there an advantage to having a longer tube on a hunting rig?    

I was going to ask exactly the same thing.  I've considered putting a micro on a rifle, but wanted to know if there is any real reason to put on the much larger tube version.  I can't be about balance. Aesthetics, maybe?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:17
I haven't found any difference as far as function of the 9000 vs the Aimpoint.  Seems like the mounting height is lower on the 9000, but that is compared to the Aimpoint Pro with its standard mount.

More flexibility with the Micro RD where that difference goes away.  The 9000 has a more traditional look to it, at least from a distance.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:32
I believe the main diff is with the 9000 series and the hunter series you can just use standard rifle rings. 

The hunter is made long enough that it will fit across the action like a traditional scope. 

The micro would be nice as you just just buy a picattiny mount and put it either in front or rear of the action. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:38
That's what I was thinking on micro mounting.  Put it on a lightweight gun, no change in balance or mobility.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 14:42
The micro size is just sweet.  Amazing optic IMO and can work in so many rolls. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 15:14
Thank you, Gents. I've often wondered about that. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 15:25
My .375 H&H Remington has a 1.1-4x24 detachable mounts. I keep a 1.5-5x20 as a spare.
I did have a fixed 4X on it some years ago and it was fine for most of my hunting. I like the FOV with the low power variable, though.
Doug
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2016 at 23:22

My .375 has a 3-9X40 and it and my .30-06 have the same size scopes and similar trajectories.

Edited by Stevey Ducks - February/04/2016 at 23:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic