OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scattergun2570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused
    Posted: January/26/2016 at 02:15
picked up a CZ 455 .22 LR..so now I am looking at scopes. I am going to use it mostly for small game Squirrel,Rabbit etc.. I am unsure of what distance to sight it in at..and if 9X will be enough at 50yds.. I know its tough to see bullet holes at 50yds with 9x..so some advice would be great.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 04:16

??? When the squirrel or rabbit drops down dead there is no need to see bullet holes.

The correct distance to sight it in would be at the distance you mostly expect to shoot. If you cannot see the bullet holes from your shooting bench then walk closer.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 04:19

There are some unknowns you have to deal with here... first, how good is your vision?  Big determinant.

Second, what kind of scope do you intend to purchase?  9x, with decent glass, is more than sufficient to see .22 holes at 50 yards.  Get Shoot-N-C targets if you have vision issues... they certainly make bullet holes "stand out". 

How much do you intend to spend on a scope?

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 10:30
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

There are some unknowns you have to deal with here... first, how good is your vision?  Big determinant.

Second, what kind of scope do you intend to purchase?  9x, with decent glass, is more than sufficient to see .22 holes at 50 yards.  Get Shoot-N-C targets if you have vision issues... they certainly make bullet holes "stand out". 

This.

I would zero at 50yds since both of my CZs shoot fairly flat to 50yds with HV ammo and I add about 6MOA to get to 100yds.

And my go to rimfire scope is a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR.
Scattergun2570 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scattergun2570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 20:32
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

This.

I would zero at 50yds since both of my CZs shoot fairly flat to 50yds with HV ammo and I add about 6MOA to get to 100yds.

And my go to rimfire scope is a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR.

Well I have heard the Weaver 3-9X RV9 is very good...so I was leaning towards that one.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2016 at 09:05
If you're going to use it past 50 yards, get one with an adjustable objective or side focus. Your zero distance will depend on how far you expect to encounter your game. I do a lot of squirrel hunting over dogs. I zero at 35 yards as that is how far I shoot them +/-15 yards. The issue with close shots is that you run out of field of view before you run out of magnification. A 4x shotgun scope is enough for head shots.

I find subsonic hollowpoints kill better than high velocity as they seem to hit harder and tend to be much more accurate.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scattergun2570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 19:52
The RV9 does have an AO. I have no idea of the distances I will be shooting at..I was not a squirrel hunter..until I tasted one recently. I only have 2 choices sight in at 25 or 50...no range in NY has targets at distances in between.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scattergun2570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 19:53
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

If you're going to use it past 50 yards, get one with an adjustable objective or side focus. Your zero distance will depend on how far you expect to encounter your game. I do a lot of squirrel hunting over dogs. I zero at 35 yards as that is how far I shoot them +/-15 yards. The issue with close shots is that you run out of field of view before you run out of magnification. A 4x shotgun scope is enough for head shots.

I find subsonic hollowpoints kill better than high velocity as they seem to hit harder and tend to be much more accurate.

The RV9 does have an AO. I have no idea of the distances I will be shooting at..I was not a squirrel hunter..until I tasted one recently. I only have 2 choices sight in at 25 or 50...no range in NY has targets at distances in between. By the way,, which subsonic ammo is available with hollowpoints?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 21:05
winchester super -x hollowpoint 40 grain subsonic. 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 05:42

You might check the Swift Premier line...

http://swfa.com/Premier-C197.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

I have two right now that are excellent... one on a home defense AR (1.5-4.5), one on a "pest eliminator" 243 Browning BAR Safari (8-32).  Used to have a 4-12, but I gave it to someone who was in a tight spot financially and needed a scope for a 243 to teach his daughter how to hunt.  They have had great success, she loves the scope.

I purchased a rifle that came with (same price with/without) a BSA 3-9.  I mounted it since I had it... failed in first zero attempt.  I took it to the dealer and he offered me the Swift 4-12 + $30.00 as a replacement (I made a very good deal).  Always loved that scope.  Only regret was it did not have an illuminated reticle. 

Good glass, good hunting scopes. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 11:50
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

winchester super -x hollowpoint 40 grain subsonic. 

I agree these kill the best of the ones I've used. I think it is the shape of the bullet and maybe they're a little softer than most. They've been hard to find for a while. My top three are Winchester, CCI and Fiocchi. Most companies have a SSHP in their line. You need to see what you can get and try different ones to see what your rifle likes. I'd put money on CCI being good enough, though.

Why do you need to go to a range to sight in a 22? Take a sandbag to the woods. My backyard range only goes to 100 yards. When I want to sight in or test at 200 I head to my spot on a power line in the national forest. Prone with a bulls bag is almost as good as my bench rest.

Agreed on sq. for eating. I like it better than chicken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic