OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikon vs burris vs bushnell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoney-dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikon vs burris vs bushnell
    Posted: August/08/2006 at 08:40

new member here. great forum by the way. i just purchased a savage 93r17 bvts 17 hmr. i am looking to get some glass for her. my shooting will be split, half paper punching and half small critter. the three scopes that i have narrowed it down to are nikon buckmaster 6-18x40, burris fullfield II 4.5-14x42, and the bushnell elite 4200 4-16x40. the main criteria is the brightest clearest glass. and i want positive clicks on the target knobs. so of the three which would be the best scope? i am open to others as well but this is my max price range, about $350. so for those that have these or have used these scopes, what are your opinions.

thanks

SM

Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2006 at 11:51

4200 or ff2, I would go with the 4200,  nikon buckmaster is lower end than both of those, while they are similar quality.

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 16:29

Hello,

I have a B&L Elite 4000 6-24x40 AO on a Savage 12 VLP in 22-250 and I picked up a new old stock B&L Elite 4200 4-16x50 AO that I moved to the Sendero 7mm Rem Mag.  Both scopes are pretty clear, both have target type turrets, but have the removeable caps, both have AOs that work fine and both are FinePlex reticles.  At the time I bought the 4-16, I picked up a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 w/target turrets and ZPlex and I think I'd give the nod on clarity to the Zeiss, at least at dusk when I've had both rifles out.  Not a huge difference, but I thought eye fatique was minimized looking thru the Zeiss.

I'm a B&L/Bushnell fan in that sub $450-500 range ($420 delivered for the 4-16 to $575 delivered for the Zeiss)  I can't speak to the other brands, as I have no experience with them.  For the money, the Bushnell Elites are tough to beat.

Take care and good luck, Chris

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 18:10

Chris Garrett, how's things??

Good to see you back around The OT.

4200, hands down in that bunch, my friend.

Welcome to The OT!!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CoyoteCaller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 19:53
I just sighete in two rifles today.  A Ruger 77/17  .17hmr with a 4.5-14 Burris Fullfield II . and an Old Remington 788 22-250 with a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40.  The Burris is a very good scope for the .17 but I do think that the glass is  better in the 4200.  Both would do the job very well......BTW you can see the .17 Bullet holes at 100 yards with the 14x scope........
CavscoutSniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavscoutSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 09:37
I've got the same rifle and I went with the Nikon on mine. So clear it hurts my eye. It's hard to tell when you are in the store looking through them. See if the salesperson will accompany you outside with the scopes and adjust them and look through all 3. I think you'll find as I did that the Nikon is best.
CavscoutSniper
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 10:16
Originally posted by stoney-dog stoney-dog wrote:

new member here. great forum by the way. i just purchased a savage 93r17 bvts 17 hmr. i am looking to get some glass for her. my shooting will be split, half paper punching and half small critter. the three scopes that i have narrowed it down to are nikon buckmaster 6-18x40, burris fullfield II 4.5-14x42, and the bushnell elite 4200 4-16x40. the main criteria is the brightest clearest glass. and i want positive clicks on the target knobs. so of the three which would be the best scope? i am open to others as well but this is my max price range, about $350. so for those that have these or have used these scopes, what are your opinions.

thanks

SM

While not bad scopes the Fullfield II and the Buckmaster aren't close to being in the same league as the Bushnell Elite 4200,, I wouldn't even rank them as high as the 3200. Target knobs aren't all that common on any of those either. Have you looked at 5-15x40 "Tactical" version of the 3200? While not quite as awesome as the 4200 it has target knobs. I don't know whether or not you can order them for the others.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 09:22
 Gotta love those posts by CavscoutSniper .....  a NIKON  man all the way !   Thunbs%20Up   My Nikon came with the target knobs and standard ... plus IR in 2 colors !  .... geez .... sorry those other brands  have to be retrofitted for them at an additional high cost .... does that tell you anything ?  Yippee   Check out the NIKON MONARCHS .....

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/20/2008 at 09:28
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic