OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SHOT 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHOT 2016
    Posted: January/21/2016 at 02:07
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 05:14
You did all that in one day?? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 05:49
I like everything about the Tangent Thetas except adjustment range on the 3-15's.  Pricey... but definite quality and more worth the dollars than anything else I can think of in the rifle scope world.  Can't say they exceed Hensoldt in optics... have not been able to get time side by side, but there are a number of similarities.  TT has the best adjustment mechanism I've ever touched (and I love the knurly knobs).  My Hensoldt is nice... but not that nice, not that clean.  IF I were to get one, would probably get the 5-25MOA.  Beautiful tool more like a fine scientific instrument than a rifle scope.  You could go hunting with it during the day and take it off and look at the stars at night... and be well served with both.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 10:26
Good read.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 21:38
Good read. I'll be receiving my NF SHV F1 tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the Duracoat job done soon and get my projects finished for a shake down of it.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 01:39
Great rundown in the limited amount of time you had.  Good to see Leupold getting value conscious with their mid range products and Hi-Lux working on new models.  I've had good luck with several Hi-Lux scopes and think they deliver beyond their price point.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 02:18
Originally posted by Rainman Rainman wrote:

Great rundown in the limited amount of time you had.  Good to see Leupold getting value conscious with their mid range products and Hi-Lux working on new models.  I've had good luck with several Hi-Lux scopes and think they deliver beyond their price point.

Hi-Lux is a bit different from most other Chinese optics companies in that the bulk of their stuff they make themselves.  Some of their products are OEM, but they are a minority.

Also, their reticles are designed by someone here in the States, so they are done by a guy who actually shoots.

When I first tested a Hi-Lux scope I was quite underwhelmed, but they took criticism well and worked hard to improve.  With the CMR and CMR4, they really turned over a new leaf and the PentaLux series promises to be better yet.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 13:30
Jim Leatherwood was the original designer and I believe when he passed away he left behind a number of unimplemented designs that may be being modified/improved/released.  He was INDEED a real shooter...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
XxMerlinxX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxMerlinxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 13:39
Styrka looks interesting to me, simply because they offer a free tune-up to go along with their lifetime warranty.  I wonder if they'll be able to get their product in stores or if they'll be forced to offer online only sales?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 13:58
Originally posted by XxMerlinxX XxMerlinxX wrote:

Styrka looks interesting to me, simply because they offer a free tune-up to go along with their lifetime warranty.  I wonder if they'll be able to get their product in stores or if they'll be forced to offer online only sales?

I do not know what their distribution plan is, but I suspect they will go into stores.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 14:16
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 15:59
ILya, didn't Leica have some sort of "legal dispute" with their Magnus line too a couple of years ago ? Any word on who is assembling these ER5's for Leica ? I tried to pry that info out of my contacts at Leica and they are remaining tight lipped.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 16:22
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

ILya, didn't Leica have some sort of "legal dispute" with their Magnus line too a couple of years ago ? Any word on who is assembling these ER5's for Leica ? I tried to pry that info out of my contacts at Leica and they are remaining tight lipped.

Different dispute with a different party.

I did not ask who is assembling the ER5 for them since I do not care a whole lot about that.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 17:31
This is strictly a guess, but I'd almost put $$$ on it that Meopta will assemble the ER5 for Leica since they have a proven track record as an OEM.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2016 at 17:00
I added a little more information to the write-up, now that I am back home.

ILya
GarandThumb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2016 at 19:54
Nice write up Koshkin, thanks.

The Vortex razor LH and the golden eagle are the standouts for me. 
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2016 at 20:33
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by XxMerlinxX XxMerlinxX wrote:

I do not know what their distribution plan is, but I suspect they will go into stores.

ILya

It looks like Styrka optics can be found at many of the NY internet sellers, and at Gander

Mountain.  I looked and I don't find them at SWFA, that is the first place I look. Big Smile

MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 09:17
I can confirm that Meopta does not assemble the ER5 for Leica.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 15:29
Thanks, Surujh!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic