OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

March Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March Optics
    Posted: January/01/2016 at 22:27
I decided that a March 1-8x scope is in my future. Based on what I've read on Opticsthoughts, this forum and other reviews, it appears to be the best in class for the 1-8x scopes.

Doesn't seem these are readily available. I've found bullets.com and longrange supply.com but not sure if there are other options.

Price point is much better than the Mark 8 but has a premium over US Optics. March's illumination seems to be one of their weaknesses but opinions differ. It does make the cost jump significantly compared to their non-illum models. Weight is a major plus for me compared to IOR or US Optics, but I do like the SR-8.

Despite the quality, it doesn't seem as popular compared to other brands, which may be a reflection of the challenge finding one. I heard that Kirby's has lost the US distributor rights according to the folks at Long range supply.

Perhaps SWFA will start carrying them.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 22:47
I have a March 3-24x42.  There is no "weakness"  in the illumination.  Just about as good as illumination gets.  My complaints with the March are:  it is a little "eyebox critical", more so than expected, it is a little "dimmer" than expected.  Not showstoppers, but irritating at times.  

Did you mean Kelbly's?  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 23:09
Fat fingered that one. I did mean Kelbly's.

Good to hear about the illum. It is a nice to have for my purposes.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2016 at 16:03
Okay Kickboxer's post got me to thinking about putting a March 3-24x42 scope on a SPR setup, as opposed to their 1-8x24 scope that was my original plan.

Purpose of the rifle is to shoot small groups at 100 yards, ring steel at 600, shoot varmints and predators inside of 300 yards plus help old eyes.

I know the 1-8X can do all these things and won't require offset sights like the 3-24x would, but still intrigued by the idea.

I understand that the higher magnification will have limited utility without a solid rest and comes with a narrow FOV.  It probably won't spend much time beyond 15x, let alone 10X but nice to know it is there. 

It is a very compact scope at around 12" and 42mm objective isn't an issue for me.

Definitely a compromise on the low end of the magnification range, but this is intended for distance.

So how nuts am I?  

Why buy a scope with 1/2 of its magnification range that I probably won't use or at least has limited value?  Why not?

Is the quality of the March optics at 8X more than sufficient for the intended purpose or is the additional 3X range desireable?

Sorry for the random stream of consciousness but these are what the voices in my head are saying.  Is it simply a debate between practical and style points or is the 3-24X scope have merit on an 5.56 SPR?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 06:47
Okay, lack of comments has me a little nervous and very uncharacteristic of this forum.

Either the answer is totally obvious and everyone is dumbfounded that I can't see it or my rant has caused everyone to believe I have a screw loose and you believe any response would just encourage me and I would go on another verbal bender.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 07:24
I'm not that familiar with March scopes, other than I have heard they are top drawer scopes. That said, I think I would look for a power range that fits my needs, considering that I would also be looking for quality glass. With your stated needs, I would be looking for something in the 3-15 power range, give or take a power or two.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 08:37
The sweet spot for my scopes have typically been in the 3-18X range.  Swarovski's Z5 is quickly coming my standard for my bolt guns.  Combination of the optics and the higher magnification range makes for a very nice setup.

While I will never need the magnification range the March provides, really no penalty having it there.  At less than 12" and weighing only 22.5 ozs, it is the same size as the NXS 2.5-10x32 scope and four ounces heavier.

Worse case is it will spend some time on the SPR and move to a 260 Rem AR build that is in the works.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 09:22
The penalty comes in "easy to get behind", which makes anything but bench shooting much more enjoyable.  
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 09:55
Understand.  I had that issue with my SWFA 5-20X scope.  It was nice having the top end, but in practical use in the field, never spent much time beyond 10X unless I was using it more as a spotter.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Purpose of the rifle is to shoot small groups at 100 yards, ring steel at 600, shoot varmints and predators inside of 300 yards plus help old eyes.

As others have mentioned, I'd be inclined towards something in the 3-15 range.  (This sounds a lot like a general purpose, medium range varmint rig -- not sure that the 1x - 3x range does you much good, nor would the 15x-24x range allow you to do anything in your stated purpose that 15x can't do well.)  

Why not mount the Leica ERi 2-5-10 that you have for sale and use it for a while?  Based on how you end up using the rifle, it will make it easier to figure out what you want in a scope for that application.  The IBS reticle on the Leica is great for what you want to do -- that's exactly how I use my Leica (3.5-14 w/ IBS) and love it. 

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 14:31
No doubt the 3-15/3-18X is more than ideal, particularly when combined with quality optics but at this point, it is more about taking advantage of purchasing a March scope for not much more than what it would cost to pick up another Z5.

From what I can tell, the March line is limited to 8x erector scopes that are FFP and 10x erectors on the SFP scopes.  I'm impressed that it can focus down to 8 yards at full magnification, but as RC said, I'll probably drive myself nuts trying to shoot at that distance/magnification short of it being cinched in a lead sled.

Order is in on the 3-24X.  It will be useful in doing a side by side comparison of a KAC LPR Mod 2, LaRue PredatAR and Wilson Combat Recon Tactical (no those aren't mine) before moving to my SPR, where it will help with load development.

Despite having capabilities I won't need on its current platform, I'm looking forward to enjoying the quality of the optics.

Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 16:19
Nice!  Which March did you get -- the 42 mm objective or 52mm?  Which reticle?  Looking forward to hearing what you think after you've played with it for a while.  (I've been intrigued by the March line for the past 2 years, but don't have a good fit for one.)
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 16:23
Ended up with the 42mm objective.  KB recommended I go with the 52mm, but never been a big fan of objective sizes beyond 44mm plus the price jumped $600 for the 52mm.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 16:59
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Ended up with the 42mm objective.  KB recommended I go with the 52mm, but never been a big fan of objective sizes beyond 44mm plus the price jumped $600 for the 52mm.

Couldn't agree more. Good luck, Mike. Let us know how it goes when it comes in. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 17:08
Went with the FML-1 reticle

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2016 at 12:33
Got the March scope mounted on a Savage Model 12FV in 22-250 in Talley scope mounts.

More to come once I can get some pictures and out to range.  I swapping the standard Savage stock for a B&C M40 medalist, along with converting it from a blind box to a DBM.

Just playing with it at the house, I understand why people rave about the optics.  The clarity, color contrast and background details are impressive.  Definitely a step or two better than my Swarovski Z5.

Dialed it up to 24X and RC's comments echoed in my head.  Definitely a pain to try and get behind.  It will require a very solid rest and stable base to take advantage of that magnification

Once I get it to the range, I'll have a better appreciation for the scope optics and its mechanicals but I do like the simplicity of the reticle and will be a good fit on my varmint rifle.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2016 at 12:36
With only 1.7mm of exit pupil on 24x i can imagine its a bit touchy
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2016 at 14:42
I have two March scopes.  A 3-24x42 and a 3-24x52.  The 52 is much brighter on higher power, but I still love both scopes.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2016 at 16:26
One observation is the short tube length.  It just fit with the Talley scope mounts, but for some, a rail and rings will provide more flexibility mounting the scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic