OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-6 vs. Trijicon Accupoint vs NF SHV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-6 vs. Trijicon Accupoint vs NF SHV
    Posted: December/31/2015 at 21:39
Looking at a new piece of glass to go on my rifle. I'm moving my NXS to a project rifle and looking for something else with a simpler reticle but can still be dialed in for longer shots. I'm partial to the #4 for hunting or the BAC I have on my Trijicon. The 3x18X50 VX-6 offers the FD4 with the CDS and intrigues me. I've got a few VX-II and VX-III scopes but am not impressed at all with their low light performance. I'm also looking at the SHV with the IHR reticle and the new SHV F1.

How does the VX-6 stack up against the NF and Trijicon? How is the CDS as far as accuracy when the correct load data is submitted for the turret?

Any other comments or comparisons?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 09:59
The limitations of the CDS turret and BCD reticle is that each is set for one set of conditions, load and bullet. If it is setup for 400' to 600' elevations then it is not accurate when you go out west and are shooting at 4,000' to 8,000' elevations. It the temperature varies 20* from setup parameters it is no longer accurate at long range. Here in Oklahoma it is is common to have 50 degree variation in temperature on any day, and 120 degree between winter and summer shooting conditions. This has a big effect on velocities and air density. A CDS turret is useless when the conditions change. Calculating with fresh local data and using a MOA or MIL turret for consistent adjustment of angle is the accurate means to shoot at long range.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 15:29
Yeah, I understand that, I'm looking at more 400yd ranges or so during hunting conditions. This is more for a simplified process. I have the NXS for situations I know are going to require more precision and solutions.

I'm more interested in the performance of the scope itself.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 16:43
The VX6, IMO, is the most user friendly variable I've ever owned or used.  It has a very forgiving and easy to use eyebox, even at higher mags, and has the best duplex reticle of any riflescope made. Glass is first rate as well, and my two have tracked perfectly from 200 out to 900, and everywhere in between.  My 2-12 has been to Namibia twice, and performed as expected....not a bobble.

As to the CDS, I have custom yardage dials, as well as MOA dials with a zero stop that can be used with any load, anywhere, any condition.   
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 18:56
I think Raider is paid to be a Loopy leg humper!

That's the only time he shows up here!

When there is a Loopy thread.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 20:08
Happy new year Peddler!  

You would be wrong with that guess though, as I have several other makes on top of my rifles.  The VX6 is top shelf anyway.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2016 at 20:22
This is high on my wish list:
Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR26C200105
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle Post
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • Lenspen
  • Set of Lenscaps
  • AccuPoint Manual
  • Warranty Card
$1,190.00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2016 at 11:37
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

This is high on my wish list:
<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=img>Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope</TD>
<TD =ret></TD>
<TD =nfo>[URL=http://swfa.com/Trijicon-25-125x42-AccuPoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P82970.aspx]Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope[/URL]

Stock # - TR26C200105

• Matte

• Red Triangle Post

• 30mm

• Side Focus

• Trijicon Logo Sticker

• Lenspen

• Set of Lenscaps

• AccuPoint Manual

• Warranty Card
</TD>
<TD =buy>
<DIV =price>$1,190.00 </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Wish they'd offer that in a 50mm objective. Or those new reticles in the 5X20X50. Heck if they had more elevation travel, those reticles and a Zerostop, I'd never buy anything else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic