OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 23:13
I'm also needing a scope for my .280 Steyr Pro Hunter.  After research, reading and quesitons here I've boiled my short list down to a Burris Veracity, a Weaver Super Slam Tactical and a Leupold VX-R.  Price ranges are similar and I'm saving the the quarters and dollars the grandkids don't weedle out of me so hope to pull the trigger soon.  My starting criteria was a 30mm tube since the rings I had Cerekoted with the rifle metal are 30mm.  I've had great luck with all three brands so it will be a hard final decision. Good luck on your search and let us know what you end up with.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 08:21
The Leupy VX-R is a solid choice. I'd get that. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2015 at 09:16
+1 on the Leupold VX-R.
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopersb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2016 at 08:59

I really like my 6x SS.  I have no problem shooting sub-moa at 300 with it on my RAR .308.  I have a white, three-inch dot on my 300-yard steel.  The scope is clear enough to hold on that dot with no problem.  I shot two white-tailed does the other day in fading light at 200+ yards.  The thin crosshairs can be a bit tough at last light, but not a game changer.  The scope is a bit heavy, if you are a light-weight and don't like to pack a bit more weight on your rifle, but the durability and quality outweigh the few ounces of extra weight. 

If you can cough up the money, the variable would probably be better, but the 6x is great.  If you buy it and do not like it, they resell quickly at a small loss.  The SS fixed scopes have glass that it of high quality for no more than they cost and are a steal at their price.

realAmericanMan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realAmericanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2016 at 13:13
I recommend you hold off and purchase a SWFA scope that has more magnification for long shots and less for hunting . Consider a 50MM objective for early morning and early evening shots . Remember if you get a 5X20X50 you'll have a scope that works for anything .  I'm happy I asked around myself as I was going to do what you are considering (settling) but was talked into the top of the line scope because he said " 20 power is just the beginning of what you really want ! He was right ! I am now waiting for SWFA to make a fixed 30 X50 HD  for shooting at the range . Or a 6X40X50 HD for everything else . 20 power is just barely enough to see splatter targets at 100 yards with a .223  

Daddy said "If you really don't NEED something then buy the best ! That way if it breaks you can't feel bad "
This advise has worked well for me . That's why I buy SWFA they are hard to break and hard to beat in value . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic