OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wormy601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope
    Posted: December/28/2015 at 14:24
Hey Everyone, New here and have a question. I'm in the market for a new scope for my Rem. 700RS in 280rem. I will be using it mostly for whitetail hunting along with some target work. I think that most of the hunting shots will be from 75 to 400 yds on clearcuts and Power lines and target shooting could be out to 800. (I hear that we have an 800 yd range at the military base here but have not been there yet).
I am looking at the SWFA SS Classic fixed powers in 6x and 10x---due primarily to price/quality (bang for buck).
Which power do you think would best serve these purposes and also which reticle in these two scopes would you recomend.
thanks, Rick
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 15:00
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

According to your post, your in a "tricky" spot. 

The 6x SS is going be fine for deer hunting, but not GREAT for shooting out to 800 yards.
The 10x, (terrific scope), is probably more suited for long range target work, but not great for deer hunting because it's a fixed 10x. 

Translation.....You need a variable power scope, or do the old switcheroo between 2 different scopes, depending on application.     

IMHO, of course.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 15:23
As an aside....

I peeked at your profile to learn that your name is..."Rick James". Dude....I would be totally working that! 
Big Grin

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 16:43

For your stated goals definitely  go variable. And look for 30mm tube so you are working well inside the scopes adjustment limits. I have a go to hunting rifle that a use for long range competitions on occasion. I set the zero for my hunting needs and make a separate range card for competition because I load a different bullet "sometimes". This season my competitions loads actually did so well on deer I just used the comp range loads and card.

If you like SWFA SS look at this one.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P87716.aspx

If that stretches your budget then keep a check on the Sample List (there is a link at the top of this page) and consider some of these.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P87716.aspx (I prefer a 50mm objective but this one has a 30mm tube and will do what you want.

Didn't see anything else I could recommend from the sample list for under 700.00 right now.

Good luck!

Welcome to the OT!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Wormy601 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wormy601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 18:51
Thanks for the info guys! I probably should be working the name thing a little more--Maybe I'll change my screen name to "Superfreak"-- that's what some of the guys call me at work--I get it all the time...
I got a little money as a gift at Christmas and I am limited on what I can spend and the two fixed powers I mentioned fit nicely in my budget. There's nothing that says I have to shoot out to 800--that's just the limit of the long range gun range here. I have a 200 yd range real close by too. So what would y'all say is reasonable as far as distance for the 6X? 400, 500, 600?? Just trying to get a rough feel for where that line is where the 6X is just not enough scope...And which reticle would you reccomend?
thanks again, Superfreak
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 19:24

It is hard for me to be openly objective about 6X. I've got one now in a vortex and just can't seem to make myself like it. Even at 100yds it doesn't give the picture detail I have become accustom to. If you have serious interest in shooting beyond 100yds I'd have to recommend the 10X.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 19:39
Check out The Sample List. Lot's of buys on there. 

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 21:05
If you can bump to 400 can find a weaver super slam tactical 2-10 in ffp with illumination. These have very good glass.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 07:07
If you could bump it to a little over $400 Cabelas is have a super sale on their Euro models (Meopta Meopro) badged as Cabelas.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 07:11
Well hell ya!! Get your optics advise from SWFA for free, then run out and buy from Cabela's. 

That's what I would do....C'mon dude. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 07:47
Read the forum rules fellas!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 09:47
Spanker

" Magshooter is now rechristened DUD...."   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 09:48

Visit the Ed Show
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 10:03
Hey! Ease up on magshooter. Even I accidentally made that mistake ONCE.

I would recommend the SS 6X over the 10X for the OP's stated use, but the SS3-15X is the better option.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 16:13
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Hey! Ease up on magshooter. Even I accidentally made that mistake ONCE.

I expected more from a varsity letter man...like magshooter.   
Wolf2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 17:00
I use the 10x out to 400 hunting and 600 yards target shooting. The 6x will be brighter because of its perfect exit pupil of 7mm which is right on with the human eye. But if you want to get the most precision out of your rig especially at 800 yards get the 10x. However it can be done with the 6x. I do not feel handicapped hunting with the 10x plus it helps with target identifying. I just think there are lighter, less bulky scopes to fill the role of a 6x.IMHO. The SS line of scope is one of the best value/quality scopes on the market. They are a steal even at their regular price but even better during cyber Monday! However I am testing a 4-14/FFP Primary Arms that is going good, but that's on a 223. You could always get both   
When in doubt, C4
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 00:11

Get both!!   Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 10:24
Who wouldn't want to have both!!!!!!!!!!!!!Love
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 10:42

Package deals are better!!

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 14:01
I'll take two package deals please.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic