OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help on what scope to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patboos44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on what scope to buy
    Posted: December/27/2015 at 15:10
I have the chance to buy a nikon monarch 6-24x50 for  $450. I was wondering if i should buy this or a millett 6-25x56 which is around the same price brand new or what are some of the options for that price with around the same magnification and a 50mm objective? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 15:27
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

What use (uses) do you have planned for this optic?
Why do you feel you need a 50mm objective? 

Respectfully, the Millet should be crossed off your list IMO.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 15:27
Given those two choices, I would purchase the Nikon.  What is your intended use?  What will it be mounted on?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
patboos44 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patboos44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 15:47
a savage model 12 270wsm. I will use it for deer hunting. I want a 50mm objective for low light

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 16:00
How far are your shots on deer typically? 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 17:02
Perhaps it's just me, but I see no need for that amount of magnification on the high end. I'd say put your money into top rated glass in the range of 12-15 at the top end. Should be more than enough for most scenarios. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 17:25
I would not depend on any of the reticles available for that scope for low light. The glass is fine but my experience with the BDC and plex is very poor in low light.
Doug
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 22:09
My sentiments also, Tahqua. In my low light tests of scopes I own (ranging from cheap to very expensive and all in between), the Nikon Monarch was way back in the pack when it came to low light effectiveness. Granted, my Monarch is a UCC model and newer ones may be somewhat better.
Outrider
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 00:48
Personally I would try and get the best glass I could in a 3 x 9 x 40. But that's just me, I like to keep things simple.
31 bertram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 03:15
Originally posted by Outrider Outrider wrote:

My sentiments also, Tahqua. In my low light tests of scopes I own (ranging from cheap to very expensive and all in between), the Nikon Monarch was way back in the pack when it came to low light effectiveness. Granted, my Monarch is a UCC model and newer ones may be somewhat better.

The glass/coatings, as far as I know, on the newer Monarchs remained the same.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 08:45
I have a Monarch and have never had ANY trouble with low light… NONE.  Most of my hunting is very early morning or very late afternoon/evening.  Never been an issue.

You might take a look at the Vortex Diamondback series.  I would steer away from current versions of Millet scopes.  QC is inconsistent.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 11:29
Never tried the Nikons and missed the big blowout sale a few years ago.  I've had an old FF II Burris with no problems and suspect the Nikon would be fine.  I'm just a big fan of the "Plain Jane" 3 x 9's 
31 bertram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 11:36
Originally posted by 31 bertram 31 bertram wrote:

I'm just a big fan of the "Plain Jane" 3 x 9's 

Me too, Friend. Me too. I'm still pizzed that Zeiss discontinued the 3-9x Conquest. Cencored
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 12:29
Back when we had 3-9x40 plain Jane 4200's, Monarchs and Conquests were simpler times, indeed. I have all of them in various flavors. For my type of hunting in heavy cover and low light, the constraint has always been the reticles. Put a 4A in any of them and they are fine.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 12:38
Not a 3-9 fan… never have been, pretty sure I never will be.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 12:51
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Back when we had 3-9x40 plain Jane 4200's, Monarchs and Conquests were simpler times, indeed.  

Wink

I find myself more and more drawn to the venerable 3-9x scope. My SS 3-9x and VX-R of the same magnification, suit me fine.  
The next scope I buy will most likely be the Swaro 3-9x Z-3. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 13:15
I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1 1/2 - 6 X 42 30mm on a muzzleloader and it's great in low light. In fact I took my largest buck to date 10 days ago at dark.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2016 at 11:10
Well for that price range I would give the athlon a try I have one and I couldn't be more satisfied with it . I purchesed the 6/24/50 and what a scope it is I was going to put it on my 223 but when I recived it I changed my mind in a big hurry it is sitting on top of my 7mag long range the clairty is awesome and the tracking is spot on I couldn't beleave the quality of scope it is for the money.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2016 at 22:50
Twenty years ago I thought the Monarch UCC was excellent in low light.  But I don't keep up with all the new stuff....

Heck, I thought my old Weaver K4-1 MicroTrac was good at dusk!    Shocked

Types of Dinosaurs

Visit the Ed Show
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2016 at 11:14
I have a new Zeiss conquest I'll sell you its the 3/9/40 .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic