OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

athlon rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by Snack_Attack Snack_Attack wrote:

I just seem to be cursed when it comes to scopes.

Then, it must be you, so you should be skeptical about yourself, not the scopes, right?

Bandito
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 13:32
To an extent maybe. In the past I haven't made good choices. But that's why I'm here, to learn from people more knowledgeable about them than me.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 14:48
Between the Falcon and the Talos, the Falcon, which I owned both their 4-14 and the 5-25, they seemed to me to be dimmer and darker I know those are not technological terms and the glass seemed to distort colors more, the turrets were very mushy while they made a clicking noise they hardly seemed to be positive, the paralax adjustment was very mushy if I remember correctly it didn't even have distances on it just a trapezoid. The reticle was a bit off and did not track true with the appropriate tall chart mils at the end were off on the mils chart, also with the chart the Falcon did not line up as it should. It also did not track or had an error that was not repeatable almost skipping and wasn't correct in positions. The internals were not the same. If I cranked say 3revs it might be between a .2 and a .3 error but would not be a .0 it would always be aloff 1 to 2 tenths.The Talos did not have this error. I apologize I am writing this on my phone. I am making mistakes.

The Falcon 5-25 started off OK but after some turning the metal wore down and and lost its little clicks with some mush and ended up turning freely with no real lock up no real click and was near completely soft also. If I remember correctly the scope was two pieces to which you could turn it 1/4rotation after the glue or lock tite broke free, maybe it was designed that way.

The tube outside and design did look the same as well, also the XD Xotic looked the same in the 4-14 but that scope was a piece of junk not the Xotic 10x but some copy of the 4-14 you could still see lathe marks on the eyebell adjustment. It was dark and tunneling and the FOV was horrible. The turrets were Mickey Mouse the whole thing was a Walt Disney Production.

Talos to me is in a slightly higher league and playing field might be the same sport and the same bat or tube but the mechanics and the swing are entirely different. While Falcon was hitting foul balls and grounders the Talos is hitting line drives for me right now, It is tracking true and is holding zero and returning to zero each time...

Again I am not saying world class glass but it is not the glass they use in the Falcon 4-14 I had. Also the mechanics are not the same. The tube looks similar if not the same.

Again these are my recollections of the Falcon scopes I tried 3to4 years ago and ended up with Sightron.

Athlon might be the next Sightron for me.
Sightron did just ship the mid variable...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 18:09
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Between the Falcon and the Talos, the Falcon, which I owned both their 4-14 and the 5-25, they seemed to me to be dimmer and darker I know those are not technological terms and the glass seemed to distort colors more, the turrets were very mushy while they made a clicking noise they hardly seemed to be positive, the paralax adjustment was very mushy if I remember correctly it didn't even have distances on it just a trapezoid. The reticle was a bit off and did not track true with the appropriate tall chart mils at the end were off on the mils chart, also with the chart the Falcon did not line up as it should. It also did not track or had an error that was not repeatable almost skipping and wasn't correct in positions. The internals were not the same. If I cranked say 3revs it might be between a .2 and a .3 error but would not be a .0 it would always be aloff 1 to 2 tenths.The Talos did not have this error. I apologize I am writing this on my phone. I am making mistakes.

The Falcon 5-25 started off OK but after some turning the metal wore down and and lost its little clicks with some mush and ended up turning freely with no real lock up no real click and was near completely soft also. If I remember correctly the scope was two pieces to which you could turn it 1/4rotation after the glue or lock tite broke free, maybe it was designed that way.

The tube outside and design did look the same as well, also the XD Xotic looked the same in the 4-14 but that scope was a piece of junk not the Xotic 10x but some copy of the 4-14 you could still see lathe marks on the eyebell adjustment. It was dark and tunneling and the FOV was horrible. The turrets were Mickey Mouse the whole thing was a Walt Disney Production.

Talos to me is in a slightly higher league and playing field might be the same sport and the same bat or tube but the mechanics and the swing are entirely different. While Falcon was hitting foul balls and grounders the Talos is hitting line drives for me right now, It is tracking true and is holding zero and returning to zero each time...

Again I am not saying world class glass but it is not the glass they use in the Falcon 4-14 I had. Also the mechanics are not the same. The tube looks similar if not the same.

Again these are my recollections of the Falcon scopes I tried 3to4 years ago and ended up with Sightron.

Athlon might be the next Sightron for me.
Sightron did just ship the mid variable...

The Falcon you have tried was a while back.  I am sure the factory has gotten better at making this basic design since then.  Besides, as I mentioned, Athlon has an unusually good relationship with the OEM, so I suspect they are in a position to enforce better QC.

When this 4-14x44 design first showed up, I was very underwhelmed, but I ahve looked at a few iterations of it over the years, and they keep looking better.

They are still in no danger of competing with the higher end stuff like the SWFA SS scopes, etc, but they are becoming better to the point when I am actualle considering getting one.

Since this is a general thread about Athlon scopes, here are the Athlon riflescopes I find interesting and that I will likely evaluate as I go along:

1) Cronus 1-6x24FFP: I am looking at it right now.  It is surviving on my 458SOCOM without any hiccups so far.  Looks like LOW's reference design, similar to the Norden Performance and related to SWFA 1-6x24.  The reticle is fairly well conceived although I think they made some features too thin.  Still, it is a good scope.  I am not sure I like the exposed turrets, but they track well and stay put.

2) Argos BTR 1-4x24FFP is also a potential for the SOCOM

3) Talos BTR 4-14x44FFP is an interesting scope to test on my LR-308 clone

I might look at some higher magnification ones later as well, but these are the ones of most interest to me right now.  

With Red Dots: OS11

With binoculars, Cronus 8.5x42 looks interesting.

With spotters, I already have the Ares 7.5-22.5x50 and it is a very competent little scope.  It appears to be the same basic design as Celestron Hummingbird which in addition to the 50mm also offers a 9-27x56 model.  I like the little spotter a fair bit so far.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2016 at 20:20
The ones I will focus on getting behind are the: Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP 
Argos BTR 8-34x56 FFP.
Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 FFP 
Cronus IR  4.5-29x56 FFP 

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/31/2016 at 20:31
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 09:38
I really like the looks of the 4.5-29 with APLR MOA reticle and it is about half the price of similarly appointed scopes.  The 4.5-27 looks interesting as well.  Technology just keeps upping the "game".   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 10:50
At $2099.00 MSRP with a street price of $1699-1750, it will be knocking down doors if they have a MIL/MIL as well.

That is the scope that is supposed to change the game with pricing and quality.  Again only time will tell but I will put in my time with that scope for that price point.  Very exciting times.

I think that from what I have read it is Japan Japan for manufacture and assembly...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 12:04
Roger all… 
Looks almost too good to be true at first glance...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 13:58
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

At $2099.00 MSRP with a street price of $1699-1750, it will be knocking down doors if they have a MIL/MIL as well.

That is the scope that is supposed to change the game with pricing and quality.  Again only time will tell but I will put in my time with that scope for that price point.  Very exciting times.

I think that from what I have read it is Japan Japan for manufacture and assembly...

It is going to be made by LOW and I suspect it is the same basic design as Sig Tango6 5-30x56.  Both are an evolution of a 6-30x56 design used by Weaver for a bit.  

I had a brief look at the Cronus at SHOT and at some prototypes of this design and I think it is a very competent design that will do well.  I also happened to like Athlon's reticle.

Generally, between the Athlon, the Sig and the Steiner T5Xi which I have tested and like a lot, it will be interesting to see who does the most damage in the $2k range.  It might also create some pricing pressure on Vortex' Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56, but the Athlon would have to be really impressive to make a dent in Gen 2 sales.

Another dark horse is the new Razor AMG, which has a lower zoom ratio, but is notably lighter and has a stunning eyepiece design.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 20:40
Some early impressions:

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2016 at 21:02
Saw you posted earlier.  Awesome.  That is a crazy small spotter.

Cannot wait till you get the other products in your hands to review.
wranglerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2016 at 21:04
338 I have the argos 6/24/50 and have purchased the Midas 4.5/27/50 allso they are both great optics how ever I prefer the argos 6/24/50 there is no reason in the quality of the two I guess it is just personal preference ,

I also purchased one of there spotting scopes and again it is an amazing optic very clear and well built I would obce again reccomend there spotting scopes to anyone .
Pirate Joe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 11:16
Ordered and received an Athlon Talos 3-12 with mildot , cost was 150 and I wasn't really looking for much but a short scope to use on my competition air rifle that had to be 12 inches or under . There was one minor problem and I emailed Athlon and the owner personally responded ....Athlon reached out to me first thing this am and is sending me a NEW scope out today ...And I will return mine when new one is received and pay return shipping for defective scope . Guess that's all anyone could ask for ..Bummer the scope didn't work right . But I work in Quality Control at my job and realize any thing can happen . I have to give two thumbs up so far to customers service for sure !!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 11:18
Sorry meant to say ATHLON is paying return shipping . Now that's what I call customer service on a very inexpensive scope !!! I hope they make it with so much today being done by email only !!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 21:21
I am glad every one is so happy with there products when i stated these were great optics thats what i wad going on was my personail use and my experince with the company .

I flll i am a pretty good judge of products and dont mund saying so when i find something as good as the athlon products

Thank you
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2016 at 09:31
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah260/44vanilla/Collage%202016-05-13%2009_20_29_zpsfaxpnq4k.jpg.   The email I received this am
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2016 at 23:46
Anything I need to know before I drop the hammer on an Argos BTR 6-24 FFP mil/mil?  I like it for its smaller objective and more adjustment range than the 8-34, although if the 34 is more clear above 24x, that would sway my decision some.

Are the specs on their website accurate, ie all typos have been fixed?  Monitoring this thread and others with great interest.  This would be my alternative to the PST 6-24 for a Mauser 24" .308 build. 

Comments welcome, thanks.

Also, assuming the Midas has better glass, an FFP Midas would be the bees knees for those of us who aren't yet ready to step up to the Cronus.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2016 at 23:54
No man I think your good to go I don't do the mill so I can't say but the moa are spot on I think yull injoy it .
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2016 at 23:57
Thanks for helping me spend my money!  I'll report back when I get it.  The Mauser is a work-in-progress so the scope may go on a 22LR in the mean time so I can wring it out some.
Dsparil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dsparil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2016 at 22:23
How was the parallax adjustment on this scope? There did not seem to be much play room at all between 250 and infinity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic