OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meostar HD10x42 vs Lecia Trinovid 10x42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 15:28

Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

In general how would a fantastic 8x32 do in low light compared to your average $350 8x42? Wondering if it's one of those deals where there is just no substitute for objective lense size or if quality of glass and coating can make up for it.

Quality of lenses/coatings can indeed make up for objective size.  How much so depends on the two particular binos that you are comparing.  I would much rather have a "fantastic" 8x32 than a mediocre 8x42 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.  And yes, I have both.....

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 15:32

How do monarch 7's stack up againot the meostar hd?

As their respective retails would suggest -- not very well. 

Or to put it another way - the average $999 binocular is going to be better than the average binocular that costs half as much.

This is not to say that the M7 is a bad binocular.  I rather like them.

BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 16:49
Phil is the meostar hd noticeably better than a monarch 7? Not asking if it's worth twice as much as that's subjective. Just that it's clearly better optically.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2015 at 21:31

Not asking if it's worth twice as much as that's subjective.

I know you did not ask if the Meopta is worth twice as much.  That is why I did not write anything that states as such.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2015 at 09:09
In my personal comparisons, the 8x32 Cabelas Euro HD is superior to the 8x30 SLC.  Not sifnificantly, but it is there.  The view is more crisp, colors pop into view, and the depth of focus is outstanding.

In my personal comparisons with the Meostar 10x42HD and the SLC HD 10x42, side by side on a tripod, the SLC HD was ever so slightly sharper, but you'd have to have them side by side and go back and forth to see it.  The SLC's ergos were more to my liking as well.  I wound up keeping the Meopta/Euro in both configs, as I find them a fantastic hunting binocular, and build quality takes a back seat to nobody. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2015 at 09:17
I'm leaning toward the 10x42 cabelas euro HD over the real Meopta just because I know cabelas warranty is awesome. Plus I always get more than my fair share of cabelas gift cards for Xmas. I kind of wish they made a 8x42 as I've never owned a 10x bino. I'm slightly worried that I won't be as steady with them and they won't be as good as a 8x42 in low light.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2015 at 09:26
One thing I haven't really asked about is the accessories that come with the binoculars. Are the lense caps, case, etc... significantly better with the cabelas or meopta?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2015 at 20:44
Accessories are the same, whether Cabelas Euro or Meopta brand. 
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2015 at 22:42
i hav the meostar HD 10x42. they r awesome. built like a tank and crystal clear. i would pick them hands down over the monarch 7       
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2015 at 09:24
Umm mind is made up I'm going to fight the crowds to tomorrow and go pick up the 10x42 hd's
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 14:26
Well I actually ended up buying the 8x32 euro hd. Hopefully the 32mm lenses prove to be good enough in low light. The 10x42 just seemed so big and bulky.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 18:59
32mm lenses seemed to gather plenty of light to identify a deer in a field 15 minutes past shooting light at 100 yards. It was extremely overcast so I think these will work fine. Maybe I'll watch the market for a nice pair of 10x50s that go on sale.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 20:00
You're gonna love that 8x32HD.  I've taken mine to Namibia twice, and it is a fantastic hunting binocular, plenty bright, sharp, and that depth of focus is unbelievable.  Plus, as you said, you have Cabelas bullet proof guarantee to back you up.  Enjoy! 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 20:40
When I got them home I really noticed how good they were at focusing through and past stufg when looking through brush and woods. I'm assuming this is depth of field? All I know is the zeiss terra ed that I just sent back were absolutely atrocious at focusing past things.
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 21:51
If you are older like me you'll be just fine with the 32mm lens.

oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 21:55
Image did not come through so here is a link:

Turkey Agent View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkey Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 23:18
Just got my cabelas euro 8x32 in today they are unbelievable! perfect for bowhunting. Comparing them to my cabelas euro 10x42 no difference in the quality of the image. Theirs no sweet spot in the euros\meopta the image is clear and flat from edge to edge. Comparing them to my Zeiss victory scopes their top end European optic all the way IMHO.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 00:00
Can't beat the price on them right now I know that.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 15:13
I'm a huge fan of high quality 8X32 roof prism binos. To me, they offer an ideal compromise between form factor and performance. If we're talking about high end 8X32's, I believe most would be very surprised at how well they work in poor lighting conditions. I've also done a lot of comparison between 8X and 10X binos and to me, the extra 2X doesn't give me enough extra detail to offset the narrower FOV and shallower depth of field penalty vs 8X binos. In use, I do much less refocusing with 8X binos as I pan between short and mid distances, and I'm able to take in more real estate in a shorter span of time. Plus, I believe 10X really needs 42mm+ objective size to really gain the benefit of the additional magnification, which then increases weight and bulk.

Sure, in an absolute sense, 42mm and 50mm binoculars do provide better visibility in poor light than 32mm binos of the same magnification. All else being equal, larger objective lenses always trump smaller objectives in transmitting light, but there's much more that factors into low light performance than just objective size. 

I own a Leica UV HD 8X32, and ever since I bought it about 5 years ago, it's been my go-to hunting binos exclusively for all of my hunting. In all that time, I've honestly never felt the least bit handicapped in any situation, any weather, and any time of day for which it's legal for me to shoot at a game animal. 

FWIW...
I also have a Leica Trinovid BA 8X50 and various decent quality mid range 8X42 and 10X42 binos, and I've tested them head to head with the Ultravid 8X32 many times. I realize I'm comparing binos of different generations and different quality levels, but nevertheless, the Trinovid 8X50 is no slouch optically and it MAY give me an additional 5 minutes of usable viewing time at best over the UV 8X32. Even considering the generational differences between the two and given the 2.3mm difference in exit pupil size, I would've expected the difference to be more dramatic, but that simply wasn't the case for my eyes. I don't know if it's due to the excellent resolution and contrast the UV 8X32 offers, newer generation lens and prism coatings, or what to attribute that to, but I was very shocked by how well the little 8X32 will hang with the big 8X50. Maybe my eyesight is becoming worse than I think it is as I've aged and I don't know what I'm missing. The slight low light performance "advantage" the much larger 8X50 provides simply isn't significant enough to me to offset the fact it's twice the weight and size of the little 8X32. Perhaps the difference would be much more pronounced if I compared my UV 8X32 against a current generation alpha class 8X42, 10X42 or 50mm bino...but the fact still remains, I've never found the UV 8X32 to be lacking in low light performance and it does everything I need a hunting binocular to do, very well. Even some of my buddies have marveled at how superb the little 8X32 is and agreed that it holds its own very well against very good full size binos. It's so light, I almost forget I'm carrying it, and it's small enough it even fits in the pockets of some of my cold weather hunting coats. At the same time, it isn't so small that it's ergonomically awkward or difficult to keep steady during use. All things considered, I see no compelling reason to dangle a brick from my neck just to gain a miniscule visibility advantage at the very outer limits of legal hunting time.

As much as I love my UV 8X32...and I dearly love it, if I was buying a new high end 8X32 today, I might opt for a Meopta or Maven 8X32 instead and save the $$$. Everything I've seen has convinced me that they are so close to the very top level optics that it's becoming increasingly more difficult to justify spending up to 2X more for the Swaro/Zeiss/Leica-class stuff.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Turkey Agent View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkey Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 16:25
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm a huge fan of high quality 8X32 roof prism binos. To me, they offer an ideal compromise between form factor and performance. If we're talking about high end 8X32's, I believe most would be very surprised at how well they work in poor lighting conditions. I've also done a lot of comparison between 8X and 10X binos and to me, the extra 2X doesn't give me enough extra detail to offset the narrower FOV and shallower depth of field penalty vs 8X binos. In use, I do much less refocusing with 8X binos as I pan between short and mid distances, and I'm able to take in more real estate in a shorter span of time. Plus, I believe 10X really needs 42mm+ objective size to really gain the benefit of the additional magnification, which then increases weight and bulk.

Sure, in an absolute sense, 42mm and 50mm binoculars do provide better visibility in poor light than 32mm binos of the same magnification. All else being equal, larger objective lenses always trump smaller objectives in transmitting light, but there's much more that factors into low light performance than just objective size. 

I own a Leica UV HD 8X32, and ever since I bought it about 5 years ago, it's been my go-to hunting binos exclusively for all of my hunting. In all that time, I've honestly never felt the least bit handicapped in any situation, any weather, and any time of day for which it's legal for me to shoot at a game animal. 

FWIW...
I also have a Leica Trinovid BA 8X50 and various decent quality mid range 8X42 and 10X42 binos, and I've tested them head to head with the Ultravid 8X32 many times. I realize I'm comparing binos of different generations and different quality levels, but nevertheless, the Trinovid 8X50 is no slouch optically and it MAY give me an additional 5 minutes of usable viewing time at best over the UV 8X32. Even considering the generational differences between the two and given the 2.3mm difference in exit pupil size, I would've expected the difference to be more dramatic, but that simply wasn't the case for my eyes. I don't know if it's due to the excellent resolution and contrast the UV 8X32 offers, newer generation lens and prism coatings, or what to attribute that to, but I was very shocked by how well the little 8X32 will hang with the big 8X50. Maybe my eyesight is becoming worse than I think it is as I've aged and I don't know what I'm missing. The slight low light performance "advantage" the much larger 8X50 provides simply isn't significant enough to me to offset the fact it's twice the weight and size of the little 8X32. Perhaps the difference would be much more pronounced if I compared my UV 8X32 against a current generation alpha class 8X42, 10X42 or 50mm bino...but the fact still remains, I've never found the UV 8X32 to be lacking in low light performance and it does everything I need a hunting binocular to do, very well. Even some of my buddies have marveled at how superb the little 8X32 is and agreed that it holds its own very well against very good full size binos. It's so light, I almost forget I'm carrying it, and it's small enough it even fits in the pockets of some of my cold weather hunting coats. At the same time, it isn't so small that it's ergonomically awkward or difficult to keep steady during use. All things considered, I see no compelling reason to dangle a brick from my neck just to gain a miniscule visibility advantage at the very outer limits of legal hunting time.

As much as I love my UV 8X32...and I dearly love it, if I was buying a new high end 8X32 today, I might opt for a Meopta or Maven 8X32 instead and save the $$$. Everything I've seen has convinced me that they are so close to the very top level optics that it's becoming increasingly more difficult to justify spending up to 2X more for the Swaro/Zeiss/Leica-class stuff.

You nailed it sir I'm shocked at the performance of the 8x32 and yes Meopta can run with the big dogs! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic