OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help the new guy? Viper, Monarch, or ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FellowSoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help the new guy? Viper, Monarch, or ???
    Posted: December/15/2015 at 21:22
Merry Christmas all from the Great Smoky Mountains!
Getting ready to buy a new rifle.  Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06.  Will be used for deer and varmint hunting primarily, and some longer range steel for fun.  Maybe a little bigger game some day.
Been considering the following scopes: 

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 Long Range
Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50
Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50
Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50

I know there are pros and cons for each of these scopes.  I do like the idea of a 50mm Objective because I am in the woods a lot and the extra light would be helpful.  As far as Mag goes, I want to be able to get on 200 yards pretty quick, but still be able to get in long range (800+ working up to 1000) on occassion.  My budget is going to be not much over $500.  

Wondering your opinions on these scopes?  Any suggestions and help would be appreciated!

bro jeff
"One Shot, One Kill. Because shooting twice is a waste of ammo".
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 05:09
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I've hunted around Loudon and Roane Co. myself years ago. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 05:43
According to the guys who sell optics, and the guys who actually use them to terminate enemy combatants, the Vortex scopes have been a standout if you're looking for a reliable return to zero, repeatability in turret in put and the turrets move the reticle exactly as much as your turret in put indicates.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 07:37
Wait on the new Nightforce SHV 4X16X50 F1, it's set to be released in January from what I've found out.  If you don't like it, you'll be able to pick up a Vortex cheap.  At a MSRP of $1,250, street will be a little under that.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 08:00
Of your 4 scopes, I'd go with the Vortex Viper 4-16x50. If your hunting in the woods, your going to need a wide field of view as much as a bright image, and 16X will get you to 1,000yds.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
FellowSoldier View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FellowSoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 16:56
Thanks guys for the replies.  Saltydog I'd love to have a Nightforce.  But that's about double my budget.  I'm open to opinions and suggestions on other brands.  I've already read tons of reviews and comments on Zeiss, Leupold, etc.  I'm also interested in a Super Sniper.  But again, depends on price.  And, I definatenly have to have a variable, not fixed.

Only drawback I have found on the Viper Long Range 4-16x50 is the elevation turret is regulated at 1/2 MOA, while the windage is 1/4 MOA.  Just not sure if the 1/2 MOA elevation adjustments will be detrimental to long range shots (vs 1/4 MOA others have).  It does have 75 MOA of elevation travel though.  That with a 25 MOA rail would be really nice.

Thanks again for your input.

Blessings!
"One Shot, One Kill. Because shooting twice is a waste of ammo".
Simon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2015 at 14:28
I have the Viper HS 4-16x50. Great construction and features but my Meopta Meopro is alot clearer for less $'s. Here in Australia anyway. Maybe look at the 6-18x50 Meopro or the 4-12x50. They also do a 4-16,44 in the Meostar line but they are dearer
BLR 30-06
Rem 788 22-250
Rem 572 .22lr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic