OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber 22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber 22-250
    Posted: December/15/2015 at 11:25
Need a new scope for a new gun! Looking at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50, Swarovski Z5 3-18x44, or maybe the Meopro 6-18x50 I know the Meopro is quite a bit cheaper and I am not sure about that line. I have a Meopta R1 4-16x44 and really like it. Any Thoughts?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 13:12
What about the Meopta R2 line?  But any of those would easily get to to legal shooting times just fine. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 14:03
I have the Swarovski Z5 on my 7mm-08 and it is an excellent scope, probably the best that I have.

All of your options are excellent.  I'd give the nod to the Z5 over the V6.  I have their 2-12X, which is also excellent but really impressed with the Z5 glass.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 14:46

I'd let your scope choice weigh heavily on how you're going to use the rifle.  When I think of a 22-250, medium-to-long range varmints and coyotes come to mind.  All three of your options would give you sufficient glass quality to find little critters amongst the dirt, grass, and brush at distance (with the advantage probably going to the Swaro).  Assuming all three have side parallax adjustment, the bigger discriminators for me would be which scope had the reticle and turret options that best met my personal preferences and style of shooting.  I prefer reticles like Leupold's "TMOA" reticle for rifles like this, and really like to have a "Target" or "Tactical" type elevation turret which allows me to easily dial for distance if and when I want.  (Don't know which of the 3 offer the best turrets for dialing in shots, or if that's even a priority for you.)  A fourth (and lesser) consideration might be the "eye box".  A 22-250 is one of those rifles where you may find yourself shooting offhand at a coyote, prone in a field shooting prairie dogs, or off a bench shooting targets, all in the same day.  A user friendly eyebox that is easy to get behind is a nice asset for that, and the Leupold VX-6 is pretty hard to beat for that.   (It's one of easiest scopes to get behind that I've seen.) 

Iowa1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 15:03
Thanks. It will be 99% hunting after I get a load I like and sighted in. Just don't know if the Z5 is $400 better than the VX-6 and is it $350 better than the Meopro. Really like the looks of the Varmint reticle on the VX-6. Would probably get the BRX reticle on a Z5
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 16:39
If you can live with 14x as the top of your mag range but like that type of reticle, another scope to look at might be the Leica ER 3.5-14x42 with their IBS reticle.  It's also about in the middle of your price range and is quickly becoming my favorite scope and reticle.  (It's the one I have mounted on the rifle I chase coyotes, shoot squirrels/rockchucks, and punch paper with.) The reticle is thin enough for varmints and targets, but crisp enough and laid out in a manner that draws your eye naturally to the center when light gets low.  It's also laid out with MOA gradations on the vertical and horizontal axes (instead of calibrated to a ballistic curve) and you can get it with a target turret (TT model) if wanted.  Comparable glass to the Z5, has a side focus, multiple choices of reticles to choose from, target turret option if you want it, and almost as easy to get behind as the VX-6. 
Iowa1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2015 at 19:38
Hadn't thought about Leica. I will take a look. Thanks!
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 11:46
Is it that big of a swing?  VX-6 with the varmint reticle is listed at $1399 and Z5 at $1529 on SWFA.

Doesn't appear the varmint reticle is available on the VX-6 unless you go with the Illuminated reticle, but Leica ER, VX-6 or Z5 are all outstanding choices.
Iowa1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 14:11
I was referring to the best prices I could find on gun broker. I think the swarovski Z5 would hold it's value better than the others (judging from ebay listings)  My head is beginning to hurt……….
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 16:33
Just an FYI SWFA has 110% Low Price Guarantee.

http://swfa.com/PriceMatch.aspx
Iowa1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2015 at 18:23
Did not know that. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic