OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ultrs light arms model 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ultrs light arms model 20s
    Posted: December/12/2015 at 16:30
hello fellow hunters/shooters  i am new to the forum but not to ultra light arms. i was ready a post on here that is from a cpl yrs ago that seemed to get pretty headed over  these ula 20/20s and what they could even be used for . it seems like a cpl very miss informed readers that replied to that thread do not think these rifles could ever be used for anything bigger then field mouse. even the poster of that thread got the finished weight of the rifle a little wrong but not by muchBig Smile

i have 2 ultra light arms and both are right at 5lbs 1 1/2oz all up with scopes and sling. both have taken many heads of game from coyotes to elk. never ever felt under gunned with these rifles and i know i never will.
1 is chambered in 25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to 25 ] and loaded with 80gr TTSX @3100 FPS
the 2nd is the 1 that is the most unique as this was built off of a new ultra light arms model 20s
action which is the only action melvin has ever sold . it was sold as an ation only to a very very good friend of melvins a few yrs ago . my friend that is the guy that got just the action from melvin build a wildcat with it which is a 30 rem case necked up to 35 with a cpl little changes to it.it is using a krieger barrel in the lightest contour and a lone wolf stock .

still searching for that perfect note
8/27/72 comes very close
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 16:45
Were you banned?? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chinarider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 16:51
no
i am new here and i was talking about a thread started by somebody else
8/27/72 comes very close

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 17:00
Gotcha. 

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 17:09
😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 17:17
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Were you banned?? 

Were you speaking prophetically? Big Grin
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 11:33
I hate these threads.....
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 11:51

I hate these threads.....

maybe you could fill us in on what it is about the post you  [ hate ]

8/27/72 comes very close

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 12:36
Your starting out kinda side ways, Friend. Like your here to "prove" something. 

Historically, these type threads end badly. I'll sit back and watch and that's all the explanation I care to render at this time.   
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 13:38
well not really trying to prove anything . more like stating facts that seem to be going against the grain of some of the experts. some of the info i read on iway to many threats state what they claim are fact and there is no other way to do it. like the threats that say you need so much energy in the bullet to even deer hunt. or that elk at long range need heavy or high B.C bullets to get the job done . these are all false facts. deer are not hard to put down if they are shot with a good bullet that holds up at the speed you are shooting it and at the ranges you plan on using it . then there are the threads where some guys state like it is fact that light rifles with shorter lighter barrels also can not shoot well and should never be used for longer 300-600 yrd ranges . i am sorry that so many take it the wrong way but i feel that all these facts so many stand behind are false. putting down game to the size of elk in 100-600yrd ranges does not take only the heaviest bullets with the highest b.c. it takes a well placed shot using a bullet that will hold up well for the speeds it will be used at
what is really sad is i see to many guys in the field hunting with rifles that are way to big for them to even shoot good. i had 1 guy show up to hunt with a 338 that he said kicks so bad that he has not even shot it at the bench to check his zero for a cpl yrs. another time i loaned a friends daughter 1 of my 25x47 to take on a guided mule deer hunt she won. it was her first hunt and i spent so time on the bench with her getting good with it out to 200 yrds. when she showed up for the hunt the guide almost did not let her go because a 25x47 in his eyes was only good for rabbits out to 25 yrds. i had to convince him she will be fine out to 200 yrds . well a cpl hrs later the guide was putting on the horse what he said was the biggest mule deer anybody he had guided that yr. she had shot her mule deer right at 200 yrds bedded and he never moved after the shot. i feel that she is a much better shooter using a rifle that does not beat her up
like so many kids are that are given a 30-06 to take there first deer with . 30-06 is way to much rifle for 90% of the first time hunters.
8/27/72 comes very close
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 13:41
P.S. i think these type of threads end badly if repliers what to fight over the words that have been typed and not learn more about others ways to do the same job.
8/27/72 comes very close

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 13:50

Like your here to "prove" something. 

I stand corrected......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 14:18
8/27/72? 

Sugar Magnolia??? 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 14:23
no i would be more into a good scarletfire or a 28min suguree
but then its hard pass on a 38min DSBig Grin
8/27/72 comes very close
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 19:24
Are you objecting to something specific someone said? or is this a general disagreement with internet opinions on ultra light arms?

Generally, I thought that NULA rifles were fairly well regarded here and in most other places I visit.  I almost bought one a little while back, but decided to hold off.  Now that I have stumbled onto Kimber 84M, I am having hard time justifying the cost of a NULA rifle.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 19:57
no not replying to remarks said about nula but to replys from so many self appointed experts they say over and over that light rifles in general are bad to hunting with remarks like hard to shoot good groups with and they have wat to much felt recoil . well yes they have way to much felt recoil it you have a nice light rifle built and you have it chambered for a super mag of whatever is the rage that week. i am also so confused why so many think only a rifle that has a barrel muzzle size of 1 1/4" could ever be a good long range shooter

we all need to keep in mind that there are a lot of young hunters or new hunters out there that read these forums and take in all they can from reading as many threads as they can to learn as much as they can because not all new hunters have somebody to go to in there family or friends that can help them .
so when they read you need a rifle that is say 300 win mag loaded with only the highest B.C. 180 gr bullets for elk because anything with a thin barrel or lighter bullet or lower B.C. is just no good for elk it makes me so mad as this is all false no only false but can even hurt how well they even shoot and hunt
so of the threads after reading them you would think that if your bullet was not the highest B.C. that when it get to 300 yrds it just drops out of the air in a huge thud.

8/27/72 comes very close
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 20:05
Please point out which experts, self-appointed or otherwise, you are referring to and where exactly they said anything along the lines of what you are objecting to.  If anything, your stated opinion is as close to the proverbial conventional wisdom as I have hear recently.

Every hunting forum I can think of is full of people vociferously objecting to heavy rifles chambered for powerful calibers as un-necessary and detrimental to general shooting.

Since noone every offers anything other than that essentially the same opinion as you do, I am confused as to who exactly you are arguing with.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 20:33
if you want to see who  they are just start a thread as if you are a new hunter and ask what will be a good long range [ say out to 400 yrds  ] i say 400 because as it is no where very long for open out west hunting but super long for the rest of the usa.  then say you want it for your wife or daughter. then sit back and see how many ppl get it wrong. most will give you calibers that are way to much recoil for the wife/daughter. they would be better off leading them to a 250 savage or 257 roberts . both are a 1000 times better for them then a 7mm mag or a 300 win or even a 7-08. deer are not hard to put down
why anybody would even rifle hunt from a tree stand with shots under 400 yrds would ever choose big heavy recoil calibers is beyond me .

there is somebody on this forum [ no names i am not looking for a fight but will set them strait ] who said a 204 ruger is no way good for deer . he is both right and wrong. a 204 with the wrong bullets is not a deer caliber . being a smaller bullet to start with it has very little room for mistakes. i.e. if it is loaded with a varmint bullet that plows up like most good varmint bullets should it will not make vary far into the dear to take out any vitals. where as if you start off with a 300 ultra mag with a bad bullet for deer or elk it still has a lot more weight starting out and can shed a lot and still hit vitals. that still does not make the 300 ultra mag a good choice. what really should be done is see if your 204 can be loaded with a much better bullet for deer. if you find 1 that shoots good groups you can then move on to seeing where this bullet will hit at 100. 200 .300.and 400yrds now that you know where this is and you have a good range finder and the bullet that will work good for deer now you are 1 step closer to being ready to go deer hunting
i have never owned or hunted with a 204 ruger but it has more of that magical knock down power so many ppl talk about then my 221 fireball and it works very well on deer.
8/27/72 comes very close
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 21:24
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 21:48
why would that be your response ? if you have facts that point to something else please post them
the facts are you do not need a large caliber to take deer very cleanly
you do not need a 1 1/4" dia. at the muzzle barrel to have a rifle that groups very well for longer shots out to 600 yrds and even past that
the fact is most new shooters/hunters are starting out with calibers that are way to much for them to shoot well.
if you have some very good facts to add to the thread please do but to reply with troll does not add to the thread at all . if you simply do not know and wish to learn this is where you can if you have an open mind and know that most times there is more then 1 way to get a job done and sometimes there can even be better ways then maybe what is being done now by so many

the fact is i have been doing this for many yrs and have learned a lot and always looking to learn more
i dont think posting troll teaches anybody anything other then you are a man of few words
8/27/72 comes very close
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic