OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TPS Rings and Bases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPS Rings and Bases
    Posted: December/11/2015 at 17:56
Hello Everyone,
I need to know what rings and base to use on my Remington SPS Tactical rifle in .308 short action with the 20" barrel.
I purchased a SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 scope with the Butler Creek lens caps.
Am looking at TPS rings and base.
What I am not sure if I need the low or the super low rings and should I go with a 0 cant base or the 20 MOA one?
Any help and advice would be appreciated.
katsumushi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 18:06
Forgot to mention rifle will be used as a bench rest shooter.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 18:15
Low rings. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 18:21
Thank you for your response Cheaptrick.
Should I use a 0 cant or a 20 MOA TPS base?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 05:24
The SS has more than enough UP to get you to 1000 yards and beyond with a .308. I'd get a zero cant if your regular shooting regime falls into that category. 

The other side of the coin is, if you ever switch the SS with a scope with lesser elevation, you have a 20 MOA rail you won't have worry. No wrong choice here. I have both.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 07:07
The SS3-9 could probably take you to about 1500 yards, if the rifle was capable.  I believe you will be fine with the 3-9.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 07:12
That SS 3-9x on that rifle and those rings/bases is a winner too. I really TPS rings. 

My SPS Tac is in lowly .223 but she drives tacks. Crazy thing loves Sierra Gamekings. Let us know how you make out.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 10:36
Thank you for your help and advice Cheaptrick and Kickboxer.
I am planning on having a Badger Ordnance Tactical bolt on my rifle, will the low rings work with this bolt with no interference?
Cheaptrick, sounds good about your rifle, sounds like you have a great rig. I will for sure let you know how things work out for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 12:37
I'm guessing you'll be fine seeing how Badger has gajillions of their knobs on canted Badger rails with low Badger rings.
The Badger "standard height" rings are a tad lower than the TPS TSR low's too. 

Be advised.....The TPS rings have indexing marks on the inside. (Mine do any way.) 
They must match up. Check out the instructions.  Wink

I switched out the Hogue stock and that awful X trigger on mine. Shoots lights out.   

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2015 at 16:48
Awesome Cheaptrick, I appreciate the advice/help.
Am stoked to get the TPS rings and bases.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 06:52
TPS makes great rings, no doubt. I still have a set of TSR 1" lows rat holed for a rainy day. Went with Seekins a few years ago. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katsumushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2015 at 17:14
I've heard nothing but good things about TPS rings and bases, so I am putting in my order for some tomorrow.
Very cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic