OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - remington 700 SS ...or model 70 extreme weather SS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

remington 700 SS ...or model 70 extreme weather SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remington 700 SS ...or model 70 extreme weather SS
    Posted: December/10/2015 at 13:27
looking for a good stainless rifle. are the newer 700's the pieces of junk alot of folks say they are now? i own a couple older ones and they fit me perfect. the tikka i have i just cant get attached to. also looked at the winchester EW and it seemed nice. not used to the 3 position safety and heard a few negative things about the trigger but from handling it for a couple minutes i liked it.   
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 14:40
The newer Remington's are OK. The plastic stocks suck it though. If I were to get one today, I'd plan on replacing the plastic factory stock with some thing else. The wood stocks might be OK, I don't know. 

I'm rather cool on the Tikka's too.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 16:42
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The newer Remington's are OK. The plastic stocks suck it though. If I were to get one today, I'd plan on replacing the plastic factory stock with some thing else. The wood stocks might be OK, I don't know. 

I'm rather cool on the Tikka's too.  

yeah the stock would definitely go quick. but the way some people talk its as if remingtons using cheaper materials or something to make the gun. i dont mind swapping the stock and replacing the trigger. just wanna be sure its gonna be accurate like my older ones and made well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 16:57
Get a Savage?? Wink
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 17:13

HERETIC !!!

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Get a Savage?? Wink

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 17:14
Get a Legendary Arms Works then order a scope and Talley Lightweight mounts.

😎 👍
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 17:15
HOPEFULLY, Black Betty wasn't in the same room as you typed that out!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 22:00
i have had good service with remingtons .i would get a remington even if the stock appears cheaper .i had a win 70 years ago ,i did not like the safety.it was always hanging and sliding on /off.it might have been something wrong with mine.stainless is nice.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2015 at 22:16
Define, if you will " cool on the Tikkas".
Tikka barrels are stellar, actions are butter smooth out of th box, but bottom metal is plastic and the stock is just okay. For the money, I'd take a tikka over a 700 any day.
And do!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 05:41
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Define, if you will " cool on the Tikkas".
Tikka barrels are stellar, actions are butter smooth out of th box, but bottom metal is plastic and the stock is just okay. For the money, I'd take a tikka over a 700 any day.
And do!

All true! I would add that they make a ton of LH models for "us", good adjustable trigger, provide a myriad of calibers, and are good looking to boot.   

They don't shoulder right for me. That's it. They feel "quar" to me. 
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 05:45
im cool on the tikka because i just cant get attached to it. it feels. i dunno how to say it. hollow or something. or like a toy. i dunno. i love the trigger and it shoots great but i do prefer the slightly older 700 i have. it shoots judt as good as the tikka.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 05:55
Chicken tikka on the other hand....I'm all up in that. Big Grin

Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2015 at 23:37

Have both, an older 700 and a new T3. I like the way the T3 handles, the trigger, the weight and the smoothness. They shoot about the same. However, the 25 year old 700 has that certain "feel", at least for me,  that good rifles once had. I would hate to part with either, but if backed into a corner and had to make a choice, I'm afraid I would hold on that "feel". Don't know about the 70 EW; never held one. Have an older 70 and a 670A I have named "Ugly". Both the 70 and "Ugly" shoot well.

Outrider
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic