OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ATN X Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATN X Sight
    Posted: December/05/2015 at 09:08
Has anyone actually used one of these for hog or coyote or whatever hunting at night? They are on sale all over the Internet and at one of the local stores here. They have mixed reviews, either very good, or very bad. Not much middle ground. I limit my night hunting to when we have a full moon and use a traditional rifle scope, Trijicon. Was just wondering if this was worth 400ish.

http://swfa.com/ATN-3-12x-X-Sight-Night-Vision-Rifle-Scope-P69007.aspx
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2015 at 12:24
Tejas, I have one (my third)… sent two back.  Performs well when working, but the two that failed, failed suddenly.  One failure was while shooting… froze up after a few shots and after three failures, went black.  Second time, failed to operate after updating FW/SW after download.  I tried every method I know to get it to resume, but it would not.  The one I have now… failed after the third shot, but I went through the "procedure"… removed batteries, inserted another set of new batteries, brought it back up… it has worked well for over 100 rounds, now.  Zero is fantastic… truly a one shot zero if you do it properly.  Has some great features.  Built in electroinic compass, video recording, picture taking, altitude determination, built-in gyroscope, bluetooth.  Lots of good features… perhaps too many… be prepared to engage CS.  DO NOT get the 3-12.  The 5-18 seems to be better constructed.  

I've killed 6 raccoons, a couple of possums, 1 armadillo (all pests, destroying my bird feeders, digging up my yard) using it.  The NV is basically GEN1+… it is pretty good, I've used much worse that cost a LOT more.  Digital picture is sometimes grainy, but not bad, digital magnification is great… there has been NO POA/POI shift in transitioning magnifications.  I really like it… I just want to be dependable.  I cannot say that it has reached that point.  

It is a battery hog… I carry 2 spare sets… all rechargeables.  The included IR light is so-so.  A buddy gave me a Pulsar… much better.  

Oh yeah, so far I've used it on AR-10, AR-15… 5.56 and 2ea. 6.5 Grendel.  I got it for the Grendels.
Steelbenz has one and I believe ILya is reviewing one.  He doesn't seem to care much for Russian products (JUST KIDDING… IT WAS A JOKE).  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2015 at 17:07
Tejas, my first ATN was the 3-12.  liked that it had more field of view but I had one of the earliest models. wouldn't focus beyond 50 yards, shut off on recoil from a 300 blackout. It had ALL sorts of problems. sent it back and got the 5-18, they still have some issues with freezing up and you really do need to keep spare batteries for both the scope and the IR illuminator, but it does fairly well for what I intend to use it for. but it could get you in trouble too!

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2015 at 21:52
Visit the Ed Show
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 10:13
Sounds like I should probably save my money. I'd be pretty upset if I spotted a big boar and it failed. When did y'all purchase these? I wonder if there's any chance that they fixed the reliability issues on the ones being sold now? Thanx y'all.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 10:36
Tejas,
Not likely to reach a situation where you are in the field and it just fails… IF it has failed it has been early in the setup processes.  Once it is "operational" it seems to be OK.   
ATN says they have fixed the problems.  So far, the one I have now is performing well and it was from the latest production line.  Personally, I believe they were under pressure to get it released and released too soon.  
I'm not ready to bet my life on the Xsight, but I would certainly take it hunting.  It has not failed in my varmint elimination efforts.  However… it is not just "mount it and go"… at least not yet.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 11:05
I may give it a try then. The sales price is pretty good at 400ish. Are the setup issues all electronic. In other words, does it seem rugged enough to get bounced around a 4 wheeler and still perform? Thanx again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 13:01
I've not "bounced" mine around, except via recoil on the .308 and 6.5 Grendel… the Grendel is where the failures have occurred (except of course the failure after uploading the new FW/SW package).  That is surprising to me, because overall recoil on the Grendel is not as much as the .308 and only slightly more than 5.56.  However, "moment of recoil" at the scope is hard to determine without mounting a 3-axis accelerometer… which I have been meaning to do, just have not done it yet.  
This third scope appears to be a bit "cleaner" in view, both NV and daylight.  The compass works very well, the video recorder I have not used on this scope, no photos.  Altimeter is right on.  

I'm still not certain it is a "finished product".  I need more field time with it.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 13:17
I'm not bashing the unit, with fresh lithium batteries mine works flawlessly. I video, take pictures I've even used the Obsidian app to the wife's iPad so she can see the scope view without Being on the scope.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 13:19
I want the technology to succeed. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzvkWq9CbiM
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 14:49
Yes, I did not mention the Obsidian… it works very well.  

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 21:29
I'd like the price point,  I think it would work well on the coyotes and fox issues we have here now.  I've been using a ND3 now with a regular scope but this looks like it would be a much better setup and not break the bank......   Give it a beating Dan and let us know if you'd recommend.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2015 at 11:21
I am not sure if I would be itching to get the X-sight just yet. It is a good effort for a fairly new type of a device, but I think there is room for improvement before I can recommend it.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2015 at 12:12

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I am not sure if I would be itching to get the X-sight just yet. It is a good effort for a fairly new type of a device, but I think there is room for improvement before I can recommend it.

ILya

I mostly agree with that.

Just saying that if you want one, I don't believe there are any issues that are not fixable... ATN has been very responsive in replacing the 2 problem Xsights I've had...  I got it as an experiment, so my lack of disappoint in it may not be shared by someone who is depending on it. 

I don't want to influence anyone to get one, just don't want to scare anyone away needlessly.  IF you make it to the field with it, I think it will be fine.  All the problems I've experienced have been "setup"/sight in type problems.  I've hit every target and killed every varmint I've fired at with it. 

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2015 at 16:58
GPS, altimeter....what no anemometer or thermometer? I'm interested in future generations for that Obsidian app. Pretty neat.
MStaton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MStaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2018 at 16:29
 Yes save your money and do not buy.  I have had the 5X20 it worked for a while and I was happy.  Then it would lockup for no reason.  Then it will say target cannot be detected or something.  You push ok and the crosshairs will disappear.  Called ATN they said since I can not find my receipt they can not help me. The concept sounds great, but the final product is junk and there is no support for the product after you shell out all that money. It's not just the scope,but the power pack and other asseccories that you buy that are useless when the scope does not work.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2018 at 05:24

ATN customer service DOES require a receipt.  ATN replaced my X-sight 5-18 with the X-sight II 5-20.

I have had no freezes or reticle issues, so far.  Theories I've seen bandied about infer that ATN undersized their internal memory for all the wonderful functions they attempted to include.  That is the suggested reason for the dreaded "freeze".  I experienced freeze often on the X-sight I, none so far on the II. 

The image clarity is good to very good, the ballistic calculator appears to be dead on (given the proper inputs), I've not used the Bluetooth connection, yet... only a short, simple recording to test the function.  I intend to get around to more extensive use in the near future.

Going on a high dollar "once in a lifetime" hunt... this is not the scope I would depend on... IF I took it intending to use it, I would carry a backup rifle/scope combo to offset the possibility of "critical time" failure.  So far, the X-sight II has not failed me... my confidence is "moderate/cautious".  The scope is well situated pricewise for what it can deliver/does deliver (when working).  I am cautiously optimistic about it... still cannot say I have no reservations about it. 

I know (I'm the same way)... when someone pays good money for a scope they EXPECT IT TO WORK... rightfully so.  The only defense for some of the failure modes described for (and experienced with) this scope is that it is pushing the techno envelope, has a LOT of features (perhaps too many) and is experiencing "growing pains" while trying to keep within a certain price domain. 

To purchase one of the ATN X-sight scopes is a roll of the dice.  My hope is they respond by improving quality and quality control such that the "fears of failure" are eliminated.  I have to honestly say that every time I sight on a varmint, I have reservations...

"Do you feel lucky???"

Edited by Kickboxer - November/15/2018 at 05:40

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic