OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

XD-S 9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XD-S 9
    Posted: December/03/2015 at 23:04
The Springfield XD series is quickly becoming my favorite pistols to carry. A couple yrs ago I acquired an XD-9 in a trade. I was so impressed with it, I bought an XDm-40. Both have been great pistols, and regularly ride with me in my vehocles, as well as used as carry weapons when it is cold and dress will allow for decent concealed carry.
For warmer ( shorts ) weather, I usually carry a Ruger LCP 380.
Well, today I handled a Springfield XD-s 9 for the 1st time, and was immediatly smitten with it.I believe a second trip to the GS will warrant it coming home with me.
A question for you guys: have any of you carried the XD-s series, and do you like it or wish you had gone a different route? Any inherent trouble ? Or are they just as reliable as the standard XD series ? 
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 07:41
I have carried one in 45 a little.  To me it was fine but nothing special.  If you like the other Xds, you'll like the -S.   With the 5 rd mag is was very concealable but also very hard to control with shots.  With the extended 7rd mag it was the same size as a bigger gun that held more..... so I carried the bigger gun that held more and got rid of the xd-s.  The slide length doesn't play any importance with concealability to me.... its the grip length and to me the extended mag is to long for what mag capacity you get,  about the same as the grip length on my 1911's if I recall correctly.   I haven't messed with the 9.  

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 09:14
I am a huge XD fan as well.  I have had several of the shorter grip varieties in xd and xdm.  Not tried a xds though.

But I was never a fan of shooting them with the shorter grip either.  I always wanted the extended grip on, so there was no point in having one then.

But some don't mind the small grip guns, they are just not for me.

I carry an XD9 now. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 10:05
I actually think the S in the XDs stands for "slim"  could be wrong...and the xds is very very slim, maybe a hair over an inch... Very thin but all that does is make it come off the body just a hair less. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 10:42
It does, but they are shorter just like the double stack compact models. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 10:52
I too am a XD/XDM fan. And I looked very hard at the XDs9 and liked it, but after shooting it and the S&W Shield in 9mm I went with the Shield.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 11:14

Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 11:32
H&K P7 BabyBig Grin
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 11:36
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Wink

We don't need anything of that kind of language on this topic. 

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 12:43
HK and holster look safe queens.Big Grin
Doug
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 14:35
I carry it daily now..... that was right after I got the Tucker Gunleather Holster.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2015 at 20:46
Thanks for the input, guys.
 I am working out a deal with the store owner. He is one of my regular customers, and I think we are going to trade a pair of bino's for the pistol + cash. I am allowing him to go with his retail vs my wholesale, and we will both come out happy.
 Anyway, the slim feature of the pistol is what I like best, plus even with the extended mag, it will fit nicely down in my back pocket, and if I decide to go inside-the waist, it is thin enough to not bulge.

I forgot to mention this is the 3.3 XD-s 9 model.
 The only other pistol I found I like that is comparable - maybe a tad  smaller- is the Ruger LC-9.
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2015 at 06:32
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Wink
We must be brothers separated at birth my man! G23 and done! 😉
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2015 at 13:45
Got it last night. I think I am really going to like this pistol. And to add icing to the cake, Springfield has a promo going on for 2 free mags, a mag holder, and a nylon bag. I just emailed all the info to receive this little freebe.
I'll let you all know how it is as soon as I get to shoot it next weekend.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 22:22
Been a few weeks, but I did get to play around with the XDs. Seems to like Win PDX1 ( 124 gr ) as well as Win Black Talons ( I have about 250 rounds left from the good ole days), and Federal Hydra-shocks.
 I've carried it for about 3 weeks now since I've been on Christmas vacation, and have gotten use to it's size and weight.
I really like this pistol, it fairly easy to conceal, including wearing shorts, which I was able to do 4 days during Christmas.
Despite what I've read on the internet, this pistol doesn't have any noticeable recoil at all, and with the 3.3" barrel, it still points quickly. I was initially worried about that as a lot of feedback stated that owners wish they had gone with the 4".
So there, I'm satisfied.CoolCoolCool  Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2015 at 07:40
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

H&K P7 BabyBig Grin

Wow "G" that is super nice. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic