OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Using Swfa 6x42 with Swfa rings And Level?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Swfa 6x42 with Swfa rings And Level?
    Posted: November/29/2015 at 18:52
I have a Swfa 6x42MQ with the included Low rings and level.

I have never used a level and wondering how to set the level up,ie at the back of the scope or front,how much torque,etc

How usefull is a level ?

Thanks

bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 18:54
I meant to sayI have it coming !
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 11:39
Different do different things.
I set up a level so that I can see it with my off eye and torque it same as regular rings.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 11:58
What type do you have coming? The one that levels the action? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 12:24

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 12:37
Oh. My New Year's resolution is going to be.....

READ THE POST BEFORE ANSWERING... 

bcraig View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:02
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I set up a level so that I can see it with my off eye and torque it same as regular rings.

ILya

Do you set it out toward the end of the scope or closer to your eye.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:03
To the original poster, levels are great for long range, especially if you have a natural cant, and most do.

Next, Cheaptrick, do you use the action level?  Does it work as advertised?

I usually level the action then level the scope on the action - or use feeler gauges and don't worry about the action level at all.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:18
I think it works OK. It rides on the bolt race ways. You have to make sure it's seated correctly.  

I level the action with the aforementioned level than I level the reticle on some piece of paper about 20 yards out with a hanging plumb bob.     
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by bcraig bcraig wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Do you set it out toward the end of the scope or closer to your eye.

That depends on how the scope is set up.  Generally, a little further toward the front of the scope is better, but sometimes there isn't enough tube left there, or the parallax turret is blocking the level.

In your case, you should have enough space on the tube to mount the level fairly far forward.

ILya
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:40
I use parallels between the top of the mount and the bottom flat of the turrets under the scope to level. If those two flat surfaces are perfectly parallel to each other, the optic will be level with the rifle. I used to do the Level Level Level technique. Alot of work.
Another quick trick is to stand the rifle on its butt. Place the butt on a line in the tile or carpet threshold or a piece of paper so that the edge is cutting the butt right down the center.
Then look thru the scope from the muzzle end of the rifle. You will easily and quickly see if the line on the floor and the vertical reticle lines do not match up. It's fast and easy.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:53
This is a down and dirty way to set up an optic in the field. Especially if you need to uninstall and reinstall in the field. I also keep a record of "click" count from the bottom for elevation zero, and from the right for windage zero. Any question, just dial all the way to the stop and count your clicks back to zero.
I have complete dope cards from 100 to 1000yards. But some guys do not. So an easy zero procedure for range when you have none is to finish your preferred zero at what ever distance. Then shoot a 25 yard target with said zero using a center hold. Afterwards make note of the elevation difference. From that day on, you can throw a zero for that distance while only shooting at 25 yards.
For you mil/mil guys, it is even easier than that!!
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2015 at 13:56
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Oh. My New Year's resolution is going to be.....
READ THE POST BEFORE ANSWERING... 

So would that imply that:

It will only take effect next year?
It will only last about 6 weeks?

Edited by HKtoTikka - December/09/2015 at 14:07

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2015 at 14:06
Correct. My normal buffoonary will commence until 31 Dec 2015 at 23:59 hours. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic