OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eaa witness...hunter and stock iii

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eaa witness...hunter and stock iii
    Posted: November/27/2015 at 17:39
Looking at the hunter in 10mm and the stock 3 in 38 super....any thoughts on these 2 pistols or calibers? I do reload rifle already, so can load these as well. Any feedback is appreciated.

I currently do not have either of these calibers or experience with either.

Edited by JLud - November/27/2015 at 17:53
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2015 at 08:45
Both good rounds for a purpose. 10mm hits hard but isn't readily available. I'm sure you can find Ammo and components, but it will be pricey.
38 super has enjoyed a long history as a good competitive round, I have no personal experience with it, but others will chime in.

As for the platform itself, the Witness is a solid gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 10:48
Started looking at the glock 40....comes with 3 mags and the base for optics already...save 300 on the pistol and an extra 150 for not buying a scope mount plus another 5 for 2 mags. I really don't like polymer pistols or dao, but to save 500 isn't bad. Never had a glock but hear good things, also hear this model is very well liked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 12:11
Glock 22? I have a few, one as a suppressor host, topped with a trijicon RMR. They are boringly reliable. I do not index a stock Glock well, learned on M9 and 1911 so I push rounds high. That said, the gen 4s have a backstrap that helps, and many smiths will do grip mods to address.

I would not put a Glock in the same category as a Witness, but they are workhorse pistols.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2015 at 20:52
I love my Glock 20 and will have a Glock 40 to go with it. I like the idea of the longer barrel for increased velocity and the longer sight radius. I was looking for a 6inch barrel for my Glock 20, but that was before the introduction of the 40.

Also I have not had any problems in finding ammo for my 10mm. It is spendy but available. And if you are reloading just an FYI, I would check to see if you need to resize the brass. I know you do with the 40 cal and since the 10mm is what the S&W 40 is based on I wonder if that is true for the 10mm also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 10:14
Ahh, Glock model 40, I didn't see it when I initially looked.  A long slide 10mm is intriguing.

Cool gun.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 13:28
Yes, comparing the 2 with six inch barrels. I ordered the 38 super, stock 3 so will see what that's like. My first handgun reloading and it seems brass is ssoooooo much cheaper than rifle! A lot less powder too, I like it...

I plan on seeing how fit/finish is in the elite stock 3 and if great might spend more to get the elite hunter. If it's ok I'll probably get the glock 40 and the fast fire 3 and be done. Reviews I have read on the glock are positive.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 20:21
I just recently finished putting together my "Glockenstein" 10mm consisting of a G20SF frame with an extended length (not quite G40 length but longer than G20) Lone Wolf slide that I machined to accept a Trijicon RMR and an EFK Firedragon 6" ported barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and I plan to use it for close range hog hunting. 

I have no hands-on experience with the EAA Witness, but you certainly can't go wrong with the Glock. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2015 at 23:49
Sounds nice Ted!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2015 at 18:54
Well...here is the way my sick mind works while waiting for my Witness Stock 3 38 Super to arrive...

Glock 40 (with 3 mags) = 650....Burris Fastfire 3 =200...in business for 850...

EAA Witness Hunter = 950ish, 2 mags = 50, optics mount 150, fastfire 3 = 220 with mount, total at 1,370....

So, my genius self has determined to do the following if i like my Stock 3....

Purchase glock and fastfire 3 for 850, then also buy Witness Elite Stock 2 in 10mm for 850.....this way for 1,700 I only spent $330 more but got 2 pistols!

Its like using my wife's logic!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2015 at 20:31
So...got my Stock III witness 38 and my glock g40 with the MOS, bought a vortex venom to go with it.  I only had a short chance to shoot and it was raining, so I took out the glock but had not yet got the venom mounted.

Only put 15 rounds through it, but really liked it, shot very well and was right on.  Recoil very manageable with sig factory 10mm 180 fmjs, able to doubletap np.  

I really have never liked polymer pistols and prefer a 1911 or even my witness stock 3 grip, but the ability to add a beavertail to it made it fit quite a bit better and again it handled well.  I thought about how I wasnt afraid to get it wet or not treat it the best (didnt take the stock iii out in rain) and it adds some value to it as well.  I have had 2 springfield XDs and this felt much better than they did.

So I am now torn between getting another glock as a carry/beater gun or another witness in 10mm.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2015 at 13:08
Pick one or t'other. If you're gonna shoot Glock-angle pistols stick with 'em and use nothing else. I have no idea why anyone would, but that is the way to go if you're willing to learn to use one AND be seen in public with it.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2015 at 08:01
Well, being bored at in laws is bad for my wallet....I now have the witness elite stock ii in 10mm on the way, as well as a glock 19 gen 4 in fde with nglock night sites, and a cz 75d pcr. I sure hope the wife doesn't find me bringing all these in but easier than rifles. I keep hearing new executive action, more taxes and restrictions after new year so buying up some more ammo and loading supplies.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2016 at 22:38

Well....I got a little carried away but in a good way I guess....

Glock 40 in 10mm with vortex venom, glock 19 in battlefield green with some night sights, witness elite stock iii in 38 super, and witness elite stock ii in 10mm...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 09:25
Nice guns.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 11:21
What a great way to get carried away. The Witness' certainly look nice. But having Gen2 G19 and G20's for twenty years leaves me biased. They go boom every time my booger hook squeezes the bang switch.
Doug
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 13:51
How about a range report on the two 10mms?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Well....I got a little carried away but in a good way I guess....

Glock 40 in 10mm with vortex venom, glock 19 in battlefield green with some night sights, witness elite stock iii in 38 super, and witness elite stock ii in 10mm...

Geez, I thought I was bad! U BAD. Nice weapons there. Congrats.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2016 at 19:09
I had just a bit of time after work to take out the two Tanfoglios...outdoor range, winter in iowa but a heatwave at 40 degrees....and muddy as heck.

It was nearing dusk and front sights on both were very hard to make out, will definitely need to order a couple FO fronts. 

Just put about 30 rounds through each as it was cold, but no problems.  Follow up shots on the 38 sup very easy, its a very natural pointing and easy to fire pistol.  10mm pretty much the same but you can tell the difference.  Just used Armscor fmjs for both.  You can one hand the 10mm quite easily, but it does have some rise and rapid follow ups would not be easy.

They put in a new indoor range near me and will have to head to that for some further shooting and to sight in the red dot on the glock.  Both of these fit your hand so well, and although it felt fine shooting, it almost seemed like the inside of my thumb/firing finger was sore....

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2016 at 09:43
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I had just a bit of time after work to take out the two Tanfoglios...its a very natural pointing and easy to fire pistol....

Yup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic