OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ring height with extended rail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid43x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring height with extended rail
    Posted: November/23/2015 at 14:47
I'm fixing to mount a 3-15 SS scope on a Savage 10FCP-SR. I have a Weaver 20moa extended base mounted. Trying to decide which swfa ss rings to use. I'm afraid the rail will hit the scope with the lows. Trying to decide if I will need to trim the rail off if needed or just go with the med rings. Please help. Thanks
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 15:03
I have a Savage 12 with EGW 20 MOA rail. I mounted the SS 10x on it with SS low rings. The scope bell clears the rail by a very small amount. I have an SS3-15 with same rail and rings on a Rem 700. Eye releif will vary with your cheak weld/shooting position. It can be done but medium rings should be fine no mater what. Cutting a small piece off the front of the rail is also an option if you want low rings.
Stamp collecting since 2015
sid43x View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid43x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 15:10
Thanks! Decisions decisions! Lol To risk having to cut the rail or adding more to cheek rest with the taller rings.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 15:33
If this helps my zoom ring or paralax ring I almost directly over the trigger.
Stamp collecting since 2015
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 15:48
I have always just cut the rail. With that much drop in the stock, you'll probably want rings as low as you can get.
sid43x View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid43x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 16:21
Thank you! Looks like I'll be cutting the rail. I have enough stacked up on the stock already. Want it as close to the barrel as possible anyways
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2015 at 08:51

You can easily trim/shave the rail on to make lows work with no problem.  I typically would rather have the scope as low as possible and function rather than "Purdy".  I normally just use some rattle can black on the rail after modification and seldom would anyone ever be able to notice. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic