OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 1 x 6 HD vs. Burris XTR II 1.5 x 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 1 x 6 HD vs. Burris XTR II 1.5 x 8
    Posted: November/21/2015 at 14:31
Looking for a scope for a Larue upper I've been saving for.  Upper will be 14.5 with pinned muzzle brake.  Gun will be used primarily for precision shooting 50-300 yards, either prone, sitting or offhand.

I've been considering the SS 1 x 6.  I already own a 1x4 which I like a lot (although not HD) and over the years have owned a number of other SS scopes, so I'm already sold on quality and value.  Someone has suggested the Burris XTR II as another alternative.  Not really familiar with this scope although I kind of like the fact that its 1.5 x 8.  The additional  2x on the upper end would be useful.  I also see that Nightforce makes a 2 x 10 that is similarly sized although I realize that would be more money.  (10x is really the maximum power I'd like to go - even with my less than stellar vision I don't need more as long as I'm keeping things under 400 yards).  I'm also familiar with the Vortex 1 x 6, but again that's more money.  

Ideally would like to keep the cost of the scope under $1,000, although if there's a big jump in quality/features if I spend a little more I'd find the additional $$$$.  In particular I'd pay a little more for sharper, brighter glass.
DrAnesthesiaTX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAnesthesiaTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 12:36

Dear Pippin,

I have both scopes that you are considering for purchase.  I will be able to give you my personal opinions having used both scopes for shooting paper targets and hunting.  The SWFA 1-6x illuminated scope sits on my 300 BO with suppressor.  The glass has amazing clarity and the illumination is top notch.  With this setup I have downed 3 bucks and 3 does  and 4 hogs over the last 2 years using 110g VMAX loads.  At 1x I can quickly bring rifle to bear on hogs at 20-30 yds.  The clarity and color is outstanding but the magnify ring is hard to turn.  I would buy the lever arm to adjust the magnification ring.

My Burris XTR 1.5-8x dual focal plane illuminated scope sits on my 14.5" pinned LWRC IC.  The glass in my opinion is not as nice as the SWFA but the extra 2x is nice for shooting at targets 100yds plus.  I did not like the reticle at low mag using it to shoot hogs at 30 yds or less.  The reticle is a DFP so it enlarges with increasing magnification.  This works well but at low magnification, the reticle is too small and hard to see in twilight conditions.  The scope came with a Burris FF3 red dot.  I mounted it offset on the scope and my LWRC now works great at close distances.  I usually leave the XTR at 6x and use the red dot for engaging targets <50yds.  One negative about the scope is that it's long and heavy.  I would not recommend for 3 gun or when you need speed and light weight!

Hope this helps.  Both scopes if used correctly are excellent scopes for the money.  The fact that I own both scopes is confirmation.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2015 at 13:55
I think the SS 1-6 will be a better scope if you plan on doing any rapid fire/target engaugement.  The true 1X bottom end allows you to run and gun with both eyes open.  I've done that on scopes at 1.5 and 2 but its hard and causes eye fatique rather quick.

Another option if you want something different  -

I would still choice the SWFA SS but this has its appeal as well.

If your not going to use this for much rapid fire/target engaugement, why not look at something with more mag to begin with?  The SWFA SS 3-9 http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspxor SWFA SS 3-15 http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx.   

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic