OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scopes for new guns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker hunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scopes for new guns
    Posted: November/20/2015 at 04:54
I just purchased two ARs, one 5.56 & one 458 socom. I need optics for them. For right now I will be paper shooting but usually go to Montana once a year to elk & deer hunt. The 5.56 I'm wanting to shoot longer range, paper to 300yrds (all the range has) but the 458 no more than 100 to 200 yrds. From what I have to spend & what I've read at your forum I'm leaning toward the SWFA ss 10x scope. Not sure if the same scope will work for the 458 Socom. Since I just purchased rifles & just got back from Montana I don't have a lot of money so I'm looking to stay under $500 for scope & mounts.  Looking for suggestions.
sun comes up every morning, take the first step & keep goinng
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 09:28
I would look at the SWFA SS 1-4 for the Socom,  will accomplish all that gun can do effectively and the illumination will help on the hunt if you take it.   I'm inclined to say the 5.56 would be good with the 104 as well but if you want a dad more scope and you won't be using it for much other than blasting the SWFA 6X appeals to me more than the 10X on a 5.56.   But i'll say it again... i'd go 1-4s on both.  that way operation will be fimilar with both.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Seeker hunts View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker hunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:03
I'll check it out, sounds like good advise. What about the mounts?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:09
Don't skimp on mounts especially on your 458.

Bobro, American Defense are both excellent.  I have a few of both.  I slightly prefer the mounting latch on the Bobro but both work well. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

http://swfa.com/American-Defense-AD-RECON-Scope-Mount-P74173.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:09
I was going to comment before.

the SS 1x4 is 400.  Buy a QR mount and you can use it on both rifles.

If you can see your way to 600 or so then you can get this:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P56617.aspx

There might be other options, but a QR will make it easier to swap around.

That way you get the best scope with your $$ and a solid mounting option.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker hunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:20
I like the eye relief, weight & length, need to be sure it will handle the 458.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:23
It'll handle it.  I had their older 1-4 on a 450 bushmaster upper that had thousands of rounds through it and even took a tumble off an atv with no harm to it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:25
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Don't skimp on mounts especially on your 458.

Bobro, American Defense are both excellent.  I have a few of both.  I slightly prefer the mounting latch on the Bobro but both work well. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

I'll second this motion..... that and a good set of BUIS are a good ideal. 

I bet you'll see a deal on the 1-4's come out on black Friday with a nice mount as well.  Even the SWFA SALT mount is good but its not quick detach.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker hunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2015 at 21:59
Are there any other scopes I should be looking at if a good deal comes around during the holidays?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2015 at 12:13
I'd go with the SS1-6 for "best all around" for both 458SOCOM and 5.56.  The 1-4 would certainly work, but the 1-6 is "better" for the application.  Yes, more than you wanted to spend, but worth the extra.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2015 at 12:45
I had the 1-4x24 SSDM sit on a 458SOCOM for a while and had exactly zero issues.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker hunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2015 at 20:01
Had a good day, when I was up in Montana hunting I gave my daughter my 30-06 as a gift. Thought she could use it since she only had a 270 I bought for her on her birthday. She got her cow elk today, first one & she got it with my rifle. Its a day all dads needs to have, just once, makes it all worth it. Thanks for all the help with your suggestions on my scope. Hopefully they go on sale for the holidays. Next year I'll get to hunt with my grand daughter.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 11:49
Sounds like fun. Tell your Daughter Congratulations.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 15:27
X2 Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 16:03
Good for you! Thanks for sharing that. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2015 at 22:36
Excellent
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2015 at 01:07
Originally posted by Seeker hunts Seeker hunts wrote:

Had a good day, when I was up in Montana hunting I gave my daughter my 30-06 as a gift. Thought she could use it since she only had a 270 I bought for her on her birthday. She got her cow elk today, first one & she got it with my rifle. Its a day all dads needs to have, just once, makes it all worth it. Thanks for all the help with your suggestions on my scope. Hopefully they go on sale for the holidays. Next year I'll get to hunt with my grand daughter.
I've had my daughter hunting with me since she turned 14.  She's 20 now.  She's a harvested deer and turkey.  She loves to hunt and enjoys just shooting paper too.  She's a Junior in College, and now thinks she wants to attend the gunsmithing school in Colorado.  It's 14 months plus around $20,000.00 in tuition, plus housing, food, etc.  I've always wanted to go to that school, it was just never in the cards. My wife suggested I attend the school with my daughter.  If we can manage it we'll have a blast.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic