OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me choose a tactical binocular with reticle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me choose a tactical binocular with reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnbrowning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me choose a tactical binocular with reticle
    Posted: November/15/2015 at 19:04

Hello;

I'm looking to buy a 10x Tactical - Military model binocular that provides very good optics with the added benefit of range finding capability in a reasonably compact package. Expected use; in the get home bag for SHTF, and for short range rifle and long range pistol where a spotting scope would be too much trouble to pack in.  

I've narrowed the field to 3 entries. They are all reputable binocular manufacturers. The problem is, that local sporting goods or gun stores do not carry tactical binoculars, so I have no chance to examine them in person. So I'm relying on the reviews by people like yourselves to make my purchase decision.

Let's start with the largest of the 3, with the Vortex Viper HD R/T {R/T Ranging Reticle}
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-hd-rt-10x50-tactical-binocular
YouTube

Every gun board has Vortex followers. And for good reason. However wonderful the optics, these are the largest and the most expensive. Caution is warranted as spending that much more $$ may not bring really tangible benefits.

Steiner T1042r
http://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/tactical/t42r-tactical-10x42-r

Make no mistake. this is Not your usual porro prism individual focus entry from the Steiner 10x military binocular line. It is a newer roof prism.  Pluses would be German optical glass, maybe not Schott Glaswerke, but quality nonetheless.  Better price than Vortex. No reviews I can find.

Leupold BX-2 Tactical 10x42mm
https://www.leupold.com/tactical/binoculars/bx-2-tactical-binoculars/bx-2-tactical-10x42mm/

This is the least expensive of the group. Possibly because this set of glasses is part of Leupold’s “Green Ring” lineup, meaning they are manufactured overseas to Leupold’s design and specifications. Where overseas? Japan, China?? There are good Japanese optics grinders, and mediocre Chinese, but I can not find who/where.  

The Leupold advertising claims an advantage of the binocular reticle is its ability to rotate to line up with any item you want to measure. Binoculars must be adjusted to the width of each person’s eyes and a fixed reticle won’t ever be truly vertical (or horizontal). With the Leupold Tactical-Military binoculars, you can square up the reticle to match the angle of any item you’re measuring.

So, given this information, what do you people think? 

Thanks for your interest and comments! 

"I'm your biggest fan, Ms Blake . . Well, the most heavily armed anyway"
fnbrowning View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnbrowning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 19:42
No replies in 3 days? Seriously??

OK, let's try this. Putting the .mil-tactical reticle aside,  these binos can reasonably be compared on the  basis of power, assembly, lens clarity, and focusing.

(1) Vortex Viper HD
(2) Steiner T1042
(3) Leupold BX-2 10x42mm

Or, feel free to post info on a mil-tactical I haven't seen, but you have. IOR? Or a cold-war relic?

Anyone?

fnbrowning View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnbrowning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2015 at 17:15

I guess I'm talking to myself here. .

Anyway, Cabelas had an "after hours party" last nite, and a lot of Cabelas associates were on the floor, so I could really take my time comparing Vortex vs. Leupold. Steiner was not represented. Although the binos were w/o reticle, I was just looking at the glass. For myself and the g/f, the Vortex beat the Leupold in clarity. So I'm dropping the Leupold from the list. Didn't really like their reticle that much anyway.

Now I have to decide Steiner and save some coin, or eat peanut butter sammiches more often, and buy the Vortex!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic