OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - suggestions and opinions S&B, Vortex, Swarovski
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

suggestions and opinions S&B, Vortex, Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainawesome7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suggestions and opinions S&B, Vortex, Swarovski
    Posted: November/12/2015 at 22:19
I recently purchased a couple of 9mm scopes and want to put a really high quality, low power scope on them. I want it to be illuminated, I want it to be less than 10 oz
and I want it to have at least 3x magnification and 1-1.5 on the minimum end. the trouble is, i cant find one. i can sacrifice the illumination, but I really want top quality glass.
the only things I have found so far that come close are 1" tube scopes, these are the three that I am looking at;
weaver classic v 1-3x 20mm
leupold mark 4 1.5-5x 20mm
leupold vx3 1.5-5x 20mm

those are the only 3 that i am even considering, and even then they are no where near what I want.
I am hoping for some insight and suggestions on other possibilities. Of the 3 I am leaning towards the mark 4 but I am curious if the mark 4 is really any better than the vx3?
how does the weaver compare?

why is there such a gap in the scope market here? I understand illumination adds weight to the scope, but there is almost no decent offering at all even without the illumination in a 1" tube.
SHould I just give in and go for a 30mm? these are the 30mm ones that intrigue me;

vortex razor hd gn2 1-6x 24mm
swarovski z6 or z6i 1-6x 24mm
Schmidt and bender zenith 1.1-4x 24mm flash dot

how do those three compare to each other; duribility wise, repeatability, click value acuraccy, optical clearity/low light?
I am open to other suggestions, but I want a top tear scope. I am tired of messing around in the mid range of quality optics.

my plan is to have this in a high quality QD mount and use it on more than one rifle. so it needs to be able to withstand heavy recoil because i intend to use it on a dangerous game rifle someday as well.
 (looking at a 458 lott to take to Africa and/or Alaska some day)

thanks for any and all replies, and please feel free to suggest. glad to finally have joined the forum
captainawesome7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainawesome7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2015 at 23:30
just realized, I posted that I purchased a couple 9mm scopes , I meant I purchased a couple of 9mm rifles. sorry for the confusion.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 07:50
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx

I'd choose this over the ones you listed personally.  A 9mm has limited range and use in a rifle, this will do all you'll ever want it to.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2015 at 08:52
I would second SVT, I run one on a shorty 300 blkout.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic