OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red Dot Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abitnutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Dot Sight
    Posted: November/08/2015 at 16:11
So I have an AR in 9mm. It's a great plinker. Like a bigger 22.

I need a red dot sight for it. I can get a Burris XTS-135 for $129 on close out. I guess this is an older sight and is being discontinued. Some places are still selling it for $250. It needs a single larger ring to mount it that is extra, about $31.

The other choice is a Ultradot 6. I have a Ultradot Matchdot 2 on a pistol and I really like it. The Ultradot 6 sells for $244.00. It's a bit newer design, you can switch between a number of different reticles and comes with rings.

I've read a few reviews on each but I just don't trust them...too many goofy comments on Amazon and the like. Any folks here have an opinion? Or a recommendation? As I said, this is a plinker that I shoot the least expensive ammo I can find (It runs flawlessly on anything)...So I'd really like to find a cost effective red dot.

GunsIsFuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 16:46

I have heard good things about the Burris. I have not used it personally.  If you would consider a reflex style red dot I have heard the Vortex are excellent.  They have 2 in the $250 range.  They also have some tube red dots under $200 that get great reviews.

If you want to save a lot of money I bought a BSA red dot about 4 years ago and it's been great.  I have used it on my 12 gauge, AR15 (.223 Wylde), and my Marlin 795 (.22LR).  The dot is not a perfect circle but it's good enough within 50 yards on any of the above mentioned guns.  For a plinker I do recommend it.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 17:20
Leatherwood 1x20 Micro Max Sight
Stock # - LEAMBD120
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot (Red)
  • Multi-Coated Lenses
  • Nitrogen Gas Purged
  • Waterproof
  • LED Bright Dot Technology
  • Outstanding Battery Life
  • Digital Brightness Adjustment
  • Automatic Shutoff Timer
  • Flip-Up Lens Covers
  • Anti-Reflection Device
  • Low-Profile Mount

I've use it quite a bit and really like it.  I like it so much, I put mine on my wife's AR… nothing I would not trust for her.  Patterned after Aimpoint Micro...
$189.95
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 21:08
I have a Vortex SPARC and a Burris Fast Fire II that have both been used a lot on various rifles and have been reliable.  Each has been superceded by upgraded models with improved features that are within your desired price range.  The latest SPARC has extended battery life with short battery life having been an issue raised by some users with the original model.  I like both and would buy them again.  The next level up for Aimpoint and Eothech puts you into the $350-$400+ price range but also buys a higher level of features as well as durability if you use your equipment hard.  For range use to me there is no material functional difference between my Fast Fire II, SPARC, EOTech and Aimpoint PRO.  However, the two ARs I rely on for home and personal defense while traveling wear the Aimpoint PRO and EOTech.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 23:22
Try Leatherwood MicroMax. Crazy battery life and holds zero well.
Abitnutz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abitnutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 01:51
The Eotech may be at the upper end of what I'm will to spend. I do tend to be very easy on my equipment so more expensive equipment being more rugged is of limited appeal to me. I'm well past the days of crawling through the underbrush.

I do like what they say about HWS. I'm not sure I understand what the actual difference is between holographic and red dot is.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 14:34

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Try Leatherwood MicroMax. Crazy battery life and holds zero well.

Just as a test, I left Lori's on for two weeks as of yesterday... still going strong.  I gave her a shooting drill yesterday... a little slow, but the first time she's done more than fire a single target... five rapid fire... she hit them all.  She's really liking the dot sight. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
GunsIsFuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 19:35
I tell ya, unless you really have your eyes set on a specific brand you are in a tough spot.  I have been looking for some sort of 45 degree transition sight: red dot, reflex, or offset iron sights, for about a year now.  Haven't found one I am 100% on yet.  You will get lots of positive feed back on a lot of the red dots and such.  The best recommendation is go with a reputable brand that has a great warranty because if it breaks and it's not covered you will just be buying another one.  There are some brands that won't break the bank that still have excellent warranties. Good luck with your search. Let me know what you pick up and what you think about it.
Abitnutz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abitnutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 20:04
You know, that's a really true statement. There are just too many choices.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 20:30
Just to be clear, this is the sight I am referring to:

I think you can leave it on for a year or so, before the battery runs out.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 20:52
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Just to be clear, this is the sight I am referring to:

I think you can leave it on for a year or so, before the battery runs out.

ILya

That is the one I listed above...

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 12:03
In this class of things, it is best to buy the one with the best warranty. Vortex is probably the best on that, with Burris coming second if the model you are considering is new enough to get their recently extended warranty.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 13:34
Everything here tracks with my experience.  I have a fastfire II on my Ruger Mk II .22, and it's awesome.  The Eotech's are awesome but pricey.  I've never tried the leatherwood that Ilya recommends, but, and if you spend any time here at all - if Ilya recommends it, you should consider it.  He knows more about optics than 99% of the people on here...combined.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2015 at 18:32
+ 1 on what Ilya says.  I have not regretted a single purchase based on his recommendations and Leatherwood offers a lifetime warranty on their products including red dot sights I think.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic