OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold upgrade
    Posted: August/02/2006 at 16:39

I herd through the grape vine that Leupold is upgrading the LPS (I don’t know what they are doing with it apart from putting “gen 2” water proofing. That they also have given the VX III diamondcoat and putting gen 2 water proofing in it. Has any one herd this as well or any other upgrades?

What difference does this argon krypton make to nitrogen? From my scool days I would guess that the argon krypton mix would be better in very hot temperatures and if you had a tiny creak in a seal you maybe able to hunt with it a little longer but are there any real pluses going for it or is it just marketing?

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 17:00

Hello Huntsman

I just got the new M1 Leupold 57045 Metric and I noticed some very nice upgrades 

compared to the older M1's. I am going to do a full review and post of this scope soon

with Pics. Here are just a few things noticed at a glance.

Lazer etched Mil-Dot reticle with a 11 position illuminated center the

cross hairs due not touch the post and the dots are perfecly round.

Better glass and slightly different color of high resoluton lens coatings

more brown that green with a different sheen.

Tube feels slightly thicker in construction and movement is super crisp.

0.5 Centimeter per click (.18) only in this model. Very impresed so far

with this new m1.

As far as the new VX-L is concerned reviews state that it is just a waste

of money.

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 17:37

Hi SVD

I must agree with the comment on the VX L two of my mates brought them one a 3.5-10x50 duplex and the other a B&C. They look very good on the rifle and it is a great concept but they have both had to send them back to leupold to get fixed. One had a chip on a lense in the scope and the other had a w/e problem. for a scope of there price i would expect there to be better q control.  I guess it may just be bad luck and nothing to do with the VX L but it has put a question in my head about them

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:05

I have also heard that the VX-L does not have better resolution than a VX III.

Overpriced for shure, for the same price you can buy a Kahles CL for hunting.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:12
Please don't ask about the Argon/Krypton gas. Last time someone did it took twenty seven pages by Koshkin (our resident intellect) two explain in bloody detail too one of the less astute members here what difference it could make over plain old N2. Kosh didn't start it
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:16
I did not start that one and I am not touching this one with a ten foot pole.  I think I developed arthritis from typing too much on that thread.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:20
I was close to some form of macula malfuction on that one.
huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:22
lol i started reading that and gave up on it and it was a bit long for me. but i didnt have a look and see where it ended i must have a look at it again
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 18:33

That thread is legandary in my opinion and it seems it is back for more.

huntsman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 20:12
i hope not i dont want to start anything like that
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2006 at 21:14
Originally posted by huntsman huntsman wrote:

Hi SVD

I must agree with the comment on the VX L two of my mates brought them one a 3.5-10x50 duplex and the other a B&C. They look very good on the rifle and it is a great concept but they have both had to send them back to leupold to get fixed. One had a chip on a lense in the scope and the other had a w/e problem. for a scope of there price i would expect there to be better q control.  I guess it may just be bad luck and nothing to do with the VX L but it has put a question in my head about them

Sorry to hear about your friend's problem(s) with the Leupold VX-L.  Leupold will take care of them but the inconvenience (especially coming from New Zealand) is hard to overlook.  My eyes didn't like the VX-L from a cost vs value vs "that cheesy front objective" feature.  I am a tad surprised that it is/are mechanical issue(s) that appear to be the affecting this line of scopes right now.  Then again, a first run of any product frequently experiences higher than normal returns due to needing to work out the unforseen kinks and QC problems.

I hope the new scope that SVD666 mentioned stands apart from the VX-L with regard to optical quality and durability.  If not, Leupold has got some serious issues that are going to hurt them in the long run...

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2006 at 12:54

Hello Ceylonc

I feel that Leupold is already hurting a bit and it is going to get worse.

I got this Leupold brand new factory sealed for $400 less that retail,

this is something I have never been able to do with Leupold scopes.

I feel Leupold should take the customer more serously and not just

worry about profit. To rely on a good name is not enough now days

and there is some real stiff competition at all price ranges.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic