OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope out of three

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope out of three
    Posted: October/21/2015 at 16:11
hi im looking at three scopes
1. leatherwood art m1200 6-24x50
2. vortex viper hst 06-24x50 ... milldot or MRAD?
Zeiss Scope Conquest HD5 5-25X50 Z1000
thanks
        doc1jr
lucky long shot
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 16:12
which one thanks
lucky long shot
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 16:16
Rifle/caliber going on?
Type of shooting?
Target and intended ranges?
Marksmanship experience?
Needs?
Wants?
Expectations?
What is most important to you in the scope to be purchased?

With that, we can begin to help; without that, it is - more or less - a "which is your favorite of these 3" question.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 16:47
savage 270wsm
open land eg top to top
500+ just for tar e.c.t
Marksmanship experience
ihave 50 000 hectares I shoot on every three weeks 600 meters is the best I have done there with a 270 win
22cal= 250 meters 

mostly all around 200m to 500m with the 270 and 5m0 to 250m with the cz 22
I need a scope that works well for 500m to 1000m  I want a scope that identify game at long distances
it will all so be used on dear,goats,pigs  e,t,c 
it needs a mill dot or mrad  raticle and the clearest glass for around $1500nz about $1000 US

thanks
      doc1jr

lucky long shot
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 23:05
For the distance & clarity the Zeiss is probably the best of the 3 you asked about but I don't believe that the Zeiss comes in Mildot but has a BDC reticle!If mills is what you need then the Vortex is the way to go.....Ernie
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2015 at 00:03
Thank you ill have look and find out what bdc stands for
lucky long shot
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2015 at 00:15
Bullet brop compensation. Bdc
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2015 at 08:43
IF available over in NZ I would go with the vortex, its suits all your needs.  The Zeiss would provide slightly better clarity but reticle would be less than ideal for long range shooting and the turrets aren't really ideal for doing a lot of spinning either.  Also a bit limited on adjustment.  The leatherwood I have little experience with but another member here, Kickboxer, does, maybe he will chime in.  That leaves the Vortex, again the best of the three.  I am a fan of vortex, they hold  up well and have decent glass.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2015 at 02:25
thanks for that im going to look at the vortex tomorrow as well as a Burris XTR II 5x25x50 as well what do you think about them
lucky long shot
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2015 at 09:07
The Burris XTR2s are pretty nice.  Glass is quite good, adjustments feel nice, knobs are big and easy to get a grip on.  The adjustments are tight on the ones I have played with, but I bet they would loosen up a bit with use.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2015 at 12:11

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

IF available over in NZ I would go with the vortex, its suits all your needs.  The Zeiss would provide slightly better clarity but reticle would be less than ideal for long range shooting and the turrets aren't really ideal for doing a lot of spinning either.  Also a bit limited on adjustment.  The leatherwood I have little experience with but another member here, Kickboxer, does, maybe he will chime in.  That leaves the Vortex, again the best of the three.  I am a fan of vortex, they hold  up well and have decent glass.

Well put G.

The Zeiss Rapid Z 1000 is designed for a .308 Winchester and would allow for hold over values out to one thousand yards. Sadly I don't think it's the most ideal candidate for your .270 WSM.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2015 at 16:14
Very quickly, I am currently reviewing the Leatherwood M1200… the new one with the 30mm tube and updated ART.  So far, I'm liking what I see, a lot.  The glass is pretty good, adjustments (in zeroing) are audible/tactile and very "on".  The updated ART makes adjusting the scope to your rifle/ammo a bit easier than in the past.  The reticle is calbrated in mils.  One thing I don't like is the adjustments are in MOA… I spent of lot of my past with scopes with MOA/mil, so it is not that big a deal to me, certainly not a deal breaker, but it is always easier and more efficient to have MOA/MOA or mil/mil.  I actually prefer MOA/MOA. 

It is better than the M1200 one of my friends owns (and bought at my suggestion several years ago).  Being able to, once zeroed, adjust the reticle to a known size target and put the + on it and fire is, to me, a very desireable and advantageous thing.  I really like it.  

There will be a lot more discussion in my review, but this is a "snapshot"…

I agree that the Zeiss you mention is not ideal.  If you want just a "standard" scope… the Vortex will fit the bill.  

I'm a BIG fan of the Leatherwood ART concept and the M1200 executes it well.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2015 at 19:18
thank you every one for your input and time  
it looks like the vortex will be the one 
 and again thanks
lucky long shot
kickin45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickin45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2016 at 00:00
Meopta or Steiner is also in your price range. Better glass than the vortex. The Leatherwood isn't in the same class as any of the others mentioned in this topic
doc1jr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc1jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 23:26
got a zeiss 6/25/50 z800 love it shot a tar out to 700m best scope ever
so went and got a another one 4/12/42 for the 270
then went and got a zeiss rangefinder so cool Yippee
lucky long shot
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2016 at 04:52
Zeiss makes great stuff...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic