OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Carl Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carl Zeiss
    Posted: October/19/2015 at 10:45

Hello anyone.  I need help.  I inherited a 30/06 with a high powered Scope on it.  Its a Carl Zeiss scope to be exact.  I went to shoot it to sight it and at 25 yards I was dead nuts up and down but from side to side or I should say left to right I was 4 inches left.  I adjusted the left to right many times and I was still grouping them 4 inches to the left. The left to right adjustment did not seem to move.  I tapped on it and it still did not move.  Any suggestions for me. Or do you think the company would help me out.

Tom

TSR
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 10:57
There was no change in left-right point of impact after adjustments?  How many clicks did you adjust on the scope?  Keep in mind that, if it is 1/4MOA adjustments, that is 1/4" at 100 yards.  For 25 yards, that is 4 clicks for a 1/4" adjustment, so 16 clicks right to be dead on, at 25 yards - assuming it is a 1/4MOA adjustment.

A picture of the scope would also help.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 11:00

Most likely your scope will give you about 4 clicks per inch at 100 yards. You do know that at 50yds that goes to 8 clicks per inch, and at 25yds it's 16 clicks per inch roughly? No offense if you knew that, just throwing it out there.

Otherwise, I'm quite sure that the zeiss guys will be more than happy to help you out.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. -- Mark Twain
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 11:01
try adjusting it the other way to see if left of bullseye get worse.

Is this gun grouping well?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

silvrjeepr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvrjeepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 11:01
Looks like Coolaid had the beat me to the punch. LOL
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. -- Mark Twain
trevoir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 08:04

Thanks guys for everything.  I actually went through an entire box of shells.  I clicked to the max to the right and to the left and I was still grouping 4 inches to the left.  Its as if the hair is froze up.

Tom

TSR
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 09:44
A clarification, then maybe a suggestion or 2.

If your scope is 1/4MOA, at 25 yards, 4 clicks would be 1/4" adjustment, so 16 clicks per inch, or 64 clicks to move you the 4 inches needed.  My initial post of 16 clicks would have moved you 1 inch.

Next, sometimes mounting the rings too close to the center of the scope, or mounting the rings with too much torque can cause the internal adjustments to bind.  My suggestion would be to check the ring torque.  Another option, prior to that - and available gear depending - is to check for movement of the reticle with the rifle immobilized.  If you have a bore sighter, that is ideal; if not, put it on sand bags and don't touch the gun, just the scope adjustments.  Put the crosshairs on a definite point, and click the windage turret, watching in the reticle for movement.  Keep in mind, this only works if the rifle is completely immobilized.  Next, check the elevation adjustments the same way.  This should tell you if you get any movement when making adjustments on the turrets.

It could be a mounting issue, it could be a mechanical failure issue, no way to tell without more information and some experimentation.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 17:08
Good advice that!  I have one of the grid  based magnetic bore sites,  I just stick it to end of barrel and watch the reticle center move with any turret adjustment windage or elevation.

I'd try removing the top half of the ring closest to the turrets after re-torqueing the other ring first.  That should release any binding caused by mis-alignment between rings then follow Coolaids instructions to see if you get reticle movement.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 23:18
Before you start you might also want to spin the turret to it's max in either direction then count the clicks going in the opposite direction till you reach the other end.Now divide the total amount of clicks you have in half there by getting you to dead center.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2015 at 08:45
Sounds like its froze up.   Use a phone book and give it a few whacks on each side of the scope body,  could free it up and start moving again.  Some older scopes have been known to do that.  again, not telling you to beat with a hammer but something that won't damage your scope but has the mass to make a difference, hence a phone book, just not a Chinese one.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic