OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Scope suggestions
    Posted: October/13/2015 at 06:02
I have a Seekins Upper and I have 1" seekins rings but they are Low height so I doubt they will work. Any how the scope i want needs to have side focus and since the max range for an AR is 500 yards thou I wont ever go over 200 I don't need major power. My budget is 400-600 bucks. I will shoot this in my back yard and maybe at the range. I was wondering what magnification I need 2-10 4-16? I was thinking about Vortex but the dealer also sells hawk? I know alot people like EOTech and that sort of thing but I have never tried it and I am a bit old fashioned i guess. The dealer will throw in some crap rings to get me started which I guess is OK as long as I don't spend my money on them LOL. I welcome any and all advice!
Thank you in advance!   
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2015 at 12:08
What's the purpose of the rifle? Just targets out to 200? If you wanted a 1-4 or 1-6 Burris mtac was very clear and nice reticle, under 300. Weaver also has several super slams on sale that you could look at l which would be very nice and under your price point.

Additional information on use would help.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2015 at 21:46
Sorry Its a Plinker around the house for Fun its not a serious Accuracy or Long range gun. I shoot paper because it doesn't shoot back. LOL its not a purpose built riffle just a semi Auto rifle for 50-200 yards.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2015 at 22:12
Many 2-10x scopes don't have side focus, however, the Vortex Viper HS models do and are within your stated price range.  I'd also look at the SWFA Sample List, checking out the long list of Nikon rifle scopes. Within your price range there are quite a few Nikon Monarch's with side focus.  Both are good quality mid range brands with lifetime warranites.  From comments on this forum Vortex has the strongest customer service.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 16:40
I guess I am considering a 1-6 scope versus (to me) a traditional 3-9 or a 4-10 scope. Does a 1-6 power scope make sense for home use or is it for three gun competition? Does Vortex do a 1" to W scope I know 30 my is better but I have 1" rings already.
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 16:41
To W was supposed to say tube and my= mm
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 16:44
My phone will not let me say one inch tube or millimeter Sry I could not edit it. Work PC has firewall that blocks anything to do with guns.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 17:38
A 1-6x is a good option and very popular for an AR general purpose rifle.  Most 1-6x scopes with opens turrets to dial elevation will have 30mm tubes.  For non "tactical" style scopes in this magnification range with 1" tubes I'd check Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, Weaver, Vortex, Nikon and other major brands as well as scroll through the Sample List.  A recent affordable option from Vortex is the 1-6x Strike Eagle but it has a 30mm tube.  SWFA offers some discounted package deals (including the Strike Eagle) that includes their AR specific S. S.A.L.T. scope mount or it can be purchased separately for $60.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2015 at 05:33
You can buy an inexpensive 1" riser mount and still use the low Seekins rings, if you like. Not ideal, but it will work and work well if you don't want to pour any more money down the "AR money pit". 
(There's always one more widget to buy on an AR.) 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic